MSI accuses Gigabyte of not really running PCI-E 3.0

According to a recent presentation by MSI, none of the 40+ motherboards (apart from G1.Sniper2) claimed by Gigabyte to support PCI-E 3.0 actually supports it, via hardware.

No actual PCI-E 3.0 devices are currently being sold, so this would've taken a while to be discovered by consumers, and hopefully this will mean dissappointment saved.

Source (Google translate it for you non-Swedes): http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/144...pci-express-30

That would be a pretty big screw up by Gigabyte. I don't know about the US, but in some places if you buy something that says PCI-E 3.0 and you later discover that it's not PCI-E 3.0, you can return it immediately and get your money back.

Deleted
    Even if this is true, it doesn't mean Gigabyte is a bad company for motherboards

10+ Year Old Account
    not really worried about it I'll buy a PCI-E 3x mobo when the gf 7xxx series and ivy cpus are available.
    Right now its just to early they could easily add in some extra must have features before those are released.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    This could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Even if this is true, it doesn't mean Gigabyte is a bad company for motherboards
    I have a P55A-UD3 from Gigabyte, which I've had no issues with. Surprisingly good for a value board.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    not really worried about it I'll buy a PCI-E 3x mobo when the gf 7xxx series and ivy cpus are available.
    Right now its just to early they could easily add in some extra must have features before those are released.
    I doubt that the 7000series will make full use of the PCI-E 3.0 either way, as as far as I know, only dual-GPU cards can exceed 8x PCI-E 2.0 for graphics cards, PCI-E 2.0 8x corresponding to 16x PCI-E 1.0.
    In a similiar fashion, PCI-E 3.0 8x will correspond to 16x PCI-E 2.0

And while that does not justify/rectify this, I don't think graphics cards will suffer too much of this and the next upcoming generation.

Deleted
    I agree with tetris on this one, it's obviously bad that they're saying this, any false claim in technology and indeed in everything is always going to be found out in the end, but a) this doesn't fault their motherboards, they are solid value boards, and b) this probably won't hamper the upcoming generation of graphics cards and other PCI-E devices, I just don't think they'll push PCI3 this far. It's still a dick move by Gigabyte in any case.

Deleted
    english website with all the (important) slides of that presentation http://www.techpowerup.com/151718/MS...ady-Claim.html

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's a huge claim, I'm sure the FTC will be sniffing around that.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Pci-e 3.0 ist out yet and will not be for a couple of year, its a emulation of a Pci-e 2.0 with better performance ( Tweaking).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zedios View Post
    Pci-e 3.0 ist out yet and will not be for a couple of year, its a emulation of a Pci-e 2.0 with better performance ( Tweaking).
    If it was an 'emulation' than I'm pretty sure this claim wouldn't exist.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by zedios View Post
    Yes it will. It was originally scheduled to be supported by SB-E CPU's, but Intel decided that they had too little time to properly test it. So they pushed the support back to IB CPU's.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    That would be a pretty big screw up by Gigabyte. I don't know about the US, but in some places if you buy something that says PCI-E 3.0 and you later discover that it's not PCI-E 3.0, you can return it immediately and get your money back.
    You can sue them for false advertising. (Or, at least generally if something isn't as advertised anyways!)
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    You can sue them for false advertising. (Or, at least generally if something isn't as advertised anyways!)
    For a single person, I believe the process would go like this: compensation for item, compensation for any loss (actual/potential, proven), and then the defendant would probably be liable for fees. Considering the deception, the product and the use of it, theres little chance you get more than the cost of the item. You couldn't, for instance, claim a loss of earning because of it - a company selling the item maybe, but they'd like refer any claims against them to Gigabyte anyway.

Or, you just return the item citing the fact that it does not perform as advertised, get a refund and blag some free stuff.

On an industry side, they'd probably get fined for deceptive business practices. It really depends on how the industry actually defines "Ready for Native PCIe 3.0". "Native" as a term generally implies it doesn't just support a technology, but actually runs it - in the context of PCIe 3.0, it would be as MSI have stated. However, they could argue that the tag "Ready for Native PCIe 3.0" means it is simply compatible. It does depend a lot on their included marketing material.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    FTC would fine the shit out of them before it even got that far. Be interesting to see what develops.