Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Want to say this up front: I'm not on a crusade to argue this is the best game ever or perfect in any way. That being said, I think graphics are the LAST thing someone can legitimately complain about here. I've seen and played the game (for more than an hour and not just "watching it on streams") and can tell you it looks fucking awesome. People who have yet to adjust the scr. file really aren't seeing it at it's best and that sucks. Saying the devs didn't try and make the game look good is silly imo. The character animations are the least of your concern while surrounded by zombies (which all behave and look awesome) and it seems nitpicky.

I can sit here and list some of the negatives as well:

Currently no way to adjust all graphic settings without editing scr.
    no in game MP right now without out of game program
    slow interface movement
    shitty weapon swap/gather

But in the end, being honest and unbiased, the games graphics are wonderful and really shouldn't be an issue. I've seen SKIN (not anything else but SKIN) come off of a zombie I kicked, leaving a gaping rip showing muscle underneath. I hit a guy in the leg with a pipe and his bone came out and he started dragging that leg. I hit a guy in the arm and it broke and he fell, then he tried to use the arm to get up and the arm literally shook and failed at holding his weight (graphically) and he fell back down again. These are the animations that suck? I mean yeah it's similar or equal to a game from last year but JC2 wasn't multiplayer.

Consider for a moment that 4 people can be up in one area (which increases swarm size of zombies) so at any one moment there can be gallows of blood flying, bullets firing, muzzle flashes, arms and legs popping off, hundreds of zombies, a car on fire, trees blowing in the breeze, heads exploding and 4 people hopping around like rabbits. Now toss in explosions, knock back animations (which fucking ROCK) and someone throws a Molotov. Now everything I mentioned before is on FIRE. The game still runs at 60+ fps on everyone's PC and looks phenomenal. What the fuck are you people expecting it to look like?
    I have no problem with the scenery, what I have a problem with are the character models looking like blocks with their eyes bugging out of their head. Actually the models remind me of Black Ops and thats not a compliment. Im not a graphics junkie but something like buggy eyes takes me out of the action almost instantly because all I can think about it "why is his body facing one way while his eyes are facing the other."
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    Yes, they look like just cause 2 graphics, which was released the beginning of last year. I dont need to post a screenshot, im sure your capable of Google'in yourself. Actually im gonna say Just cause 2 looks better...
    Just Cause 2

Dead Island

Id say Dead Island looks better and has more detail

I see the similarities and tbh, they both look great. I'm really at a loss lately when it comes to people complaining about graphics in a game. I read or hear about a game "looking terrible" and then I play the game and go "wtf are people expecting nowadays?"

I'm uploading a 3 min video to youtube now that shows a little tiny bit of gameplay and some curb stomping. It also will show the horrible graphics and animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
    If it weren't true, then people wouldn't be complaining about micro-stutters using the keyboard, and went as far as binding strafe to mouse to prove that there was something wrong with using the keyboard for movement. I had the micro-stutters once, shortly midway through the first chapter. I restarted and it hasn't happened again. If it wasn't a console port, it definitely feels like one. The menu/inventory system, the absence of your standard PC weapon hotkeys using numbers 1-10 (you need to use a circular selection menu tailored for the console for fast weapon swaps). I do take back what I said about needing a controller though, using the mouse to target body part isn't that bad since it still does a bit of sticky targeting. If they developed the PC version separately, then they did a piss-poor job, IMO. Also, multiplayer isn't working atm.
    There is in no way they made a version just for PC, it is proof enough that the port was just what it was, a port with some menu options everyone is having to dig into files and change things them selves because they did not even want to make a full menu for it, it just saddens me they couldn't take an extra month or so to port this correctly to PC since it was going to be a chunk of there audience, it makes trusting them for another product very hard.

---------- Post added 2011-09-08 at 08:44 PM ----------

I see the similarities and tbh, they both look great. I'm really at a loss lately when it comes to people complaining about graphics in a game. I read or hear about a game "looking terrible" and then I play the game and go "wtf are people expecting nowadays?"

I'm uploading a 3 min video to youtube now that shows a little tiny bit of gameplay and some curb stomping. It also will show the horrible graphics and animations.
    I am fine with the graphics, they are on bottom of my list right now, my complaints are not really about graphics at all just the technical issues in this game and some animations, you look at the shadows of your character walking, he isn't even moving his arms or body, just his legs o_O, and sometimes the models are...they are alright but obviously nothing to special, my character lights up and reflects the sun back at full magnitude like super jesus in the cinematic XD but its what ever. I think the technical issues, FOV(FoV Is the big deal to me, not really the graphics just the FOV) and the fact you have to dig into files just to open up the options, and also 7.1 surround does not work right in this game. My only complaints and I hope for a future fix of some kind. From what I have heard though FoV will not be fixable because of the engine they used to make this game.

Side note, how good is Just cause since people are comparing looks anyway? Also in terms of looks, yeah Dead island kind of kicks just cause 2s ass. Not saying just cause looks bad, but the difference really is there.
    Last edited by Biggiej; 2011-09-08 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggiej View Post
    There is in no way they made a version just for PC, it is proof enough that the port was just what it was, a port with some menu options everyone is having to dig into files and change things them selves because they did not even want to make a full menu for it, it just saddens me they couldn't take an extra month or so to port this correctly to PC since it was going to be a chunk of there audience, it makes trusting them for another product very hard.

---------- Post added 2011-09-08 at 08:44 PM ----------

I am fine with the graphics, they are on bottom of my list right now, my complaints are not really about graphics at all just the technical issues in this game and some animations, you look at the shadows of your character walking, he isn't even moving his arms or body, just his legs o_O, and sometimes the models are...they are alright but obviously nothing to special, my character lights up and reflects the sun back at full magnitude like super jesus in the cinematic XD but its what ever. I think the technical issues, FOV(FoV Is the big deal to me, not really the graphics just the FOV) and the fact you have to dig into files just to open up the options, and also 7.1 surround does not work right in this game. My only complaints and I hope for a future fix of some kind. From what I have heard though FoV will not be fixable because of the engine they used to make this game.

Side note, how good is Just cause since people are comparing looks anyway? Also in terms of looks, yeah Dead island kind of kicks just cause 2s ass. Not saying just cause looks bad, but the difference really is there.
    I agree completely. This feels like a port though they said it wasn't. It will get fixed though, like most PC games do. The graphics option menu is a big nitpick for me too. I dislike having to edit ini files but I really end up doing that in a LOT of PC games (ports especially). The shadows are derpy on player models but not anything else and yeah the FOV is never going to get changed or adjustable we have to suck that up.

And as far as the game JC2 is... I got bored with it, like I do with most sandbox games. The multiplayer in Dead Island is what keeps me coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    I have no problem with the scenery, what I have a problem with are the character models looking like blocks with their eyes bugging out of their head. Actually the models remind me of Black Ops and thats not a compliment. Im not a graphics junkie but something like buggy eyes takes me out of the action almost instantly because all I can think about it "why is his body facing one way while his eyes are facing the other."
    To be honest, I don't see the eye thing you're talking about. And in my honest opinion, Black Ops models look just fine. I don't get the people who say those games look bad when they actually look like real people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't plan on getting this for a while yet but I am still very much looking forward to playing it. I just have one question for people who own the console versions of it: does it have split-screen co-op or is it online only co-op?(and if it is online only does it have some sort of LAN mode?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yfz...&feature=feedu

There's a good review of it The user plays pretty much every game that's released and reviews most of them; should check him out

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    I don't plan on getting this for a while yet but I am still very much looking forward to playing it. I just have one question for people who own the console versions of it: does it have split-screen co-op or is it online only co-op?(and if it is online only does it have some sort of LAN mode?)
    I don't play console but I know the answer to both. No split screen, online only. Yes LAN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks fun, but REALLY fricken buggy (x

Deleted
    My best mate got it for me as a suprise so I was really thrilled to install it and play as it's released here in the EU now, but I keep on getting this message when I type in my cd-key; ' Not available. Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled.' I hope they get it fixed :/ And for reference, I didn't get it on steam, it's ordered from a store.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sand box games tend to be the buggiest kind of games around, always have been always will be... GTA 4 anyone!? and there's some pretty funny as bugs in JC2 also.... the simple fact is is that there is so much going on with so much detail packed into the experience that I'm just surprised they manage to get 1/2 of them to work and chances are they are already working on a fix for some of these problems (and there are many).

I myself am liking the game so far, looking past the issues it has (my main one is weapon durability and to a lesser extent, the voice acting) and will be happily playing it thru till the end... sure there is a lot to be fixed up, but at the end of the day, this game is fun and once the MP aspect of it is sorted I'll be happily smashing the shit outta some Zombies with my friends.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

I agree, the weapon durability is shit and they break too damn fast. But devils advocate makes me say that that is part of the tough survival element. Carry more weapons, repair regularly, find random weapons that are shitty to throw or use until broken and if you actually break all your good weapons then you need to run. Personally i use my fists a lot on walker/infected and save weapons for the harder zombies or swarms.

I think what does it for me in the game (in a positive way) is that it's really the only game like it. It reminds me of Borderlands in so many ways but is realistic and with a setting of apocalyptic theme. The multiplayer is really a must to bring out the shine in the game. An open world, multiplayer, zombie survival RP game with leveling up and loot. I have little to no complaints right now. All bugs aside, this game is fucking amazing.

I just gotta say, and sorry if this has already been said, but all these damn energy drinks around, you figured there budget could had been bigger had they got sponsors like red bull, monster, rock star and etc <_<

I'm enjoying the game but the weapon system is frustrating... it's clearly made for consoles.

Some hints for people that hate having their weapons randomly switch, or picking up alcohol every now and then and getting drunk mid-zombie fight because it made the alcohol your active slot: Gently tap your "F" key when retreiving items instead of holding it. And when I mean gently, I mean gently .. anything longer than a quick depression of the key will put anything you pick up as active because holding "F" switches your weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    I'm enjoying the game but the weapon system is frustrating... it's clearly made for consoles.

Some hints for people that hate having their weapons randomly switch, or picking up alcohol every now and then and getting drunk mid-zombie fight because it made the alcohol your active slot: Gently tap your "F" key when retreiving items instead of holding it. And when I mean gently, I mean gently .. anything longer than a quick depression of the key will put anything you pick up as active because holding "F" switches your weapons.
    Awesome man! I can't believe I didn't see that before. It even says it when you target something. I was just getting used to fighting drunk too, it makes you (at least the rapper) crit like a mad man. If I didn't have the molotov diagram and used them constantly, I would consider always being drunk.

Oh, when you're drunk it also makes you drive like shit, which is hilarious.

Awesome man! I can't believe I didn't see that before. It even says it when you target something. I was just getting used to fighting drunk too, it makes you (at least the rapper) crit like a mad man. If I didn't have the molotov diagram and used them constantly, I would consider always being drunk.

Oh, when you're drunk it also makes you drive like shit, which is hilarious.
    That drunk bit got a little annoying to me to lol glad to see this hint as well. off topic but in deus ex I was fighting the boss who did the claymore charge, I tapped 5, accidently mint to hit 6 for my shot gun, and I got drunk off vodka instead and got owned so hard <_> Damn drinking in these new releases really gets you killed!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggiej View Post
    That drunk bit got a little annoying to me to lol glad to see this hint as well. off topic but in deus ex I was fighting the boss who did the claymore charge, I tapped 5, accidently mint to hit 6 for my shot gun, and I got drunk off vodka instead and got owned so hard <_> Damn drinking in these new releases really gets you killed!
    I can't wait to get drunk tomorrow IRL and play dead island with my L4D crew. L4D was always hilarious on vent with 4 drunk people so I can't imagine the hilarity of free roam. And yeah, I had vodka wreck me hard and get me spotted in DE:HR because I accidentally drank some.

10+ Year Old Account
    buy if you have non retarded friends otherwise dont bother

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably played for 5 hours last night (woulda played more but football started). No bugs yet. Got to like level 13. Still working through Act 1. No complaints yet except that getting knocked down got old real fast. But meh, it wouldn't be fun if you could just stand there beating on a guy with no repercussions. One of my buds joined my game while I was playing and that was fun.

All in all, so far, loving the game.

(and I'm glad I got it for 360 because PC gamers keep crying about the game)
    Last edited by Huffalicious; 2011-09-09 at 02:10 PM.

I am liking the game alright, just a pain I keep having to switch my sound devices >.<