Thread: Authenticator

Authenticator

Ok, I have a few questions about the authenticator...
    I currently 'have' one of the key chain ones, but it is lost and I cannot find it for the life of me and I haven't been able to play at all today due to this fact...
    so my questions are...

Do you still have to wait 3 days after removing an authenticator to add a new one?
    is it at all possible to crack or just straight out use a 'mobile' Authenticator on your computer and not have to have a fancy phone?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1 ) Not sure on the 3 day thing, but I highly suggest you call them to remove it in a heart beat
    2 ) Don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    1 ) Not sure on the 3 day thing, but I highly suggest you call them to remove it in a heart beat
    2 ) Don't think so
    Well, I'm not looking forward to removing it because there have been quite a few hack attempts on my account in the last two months and I don't want to remove a layer of protection which is the big thing for me because I've worked hard on this account and don't want to lose it...

and darn, was hoping I could just set up an authenticator on my computer instead... :/

Thanks for fast response.

is it at all possible to crack or just straight out use a 'mobile' Authenticator on your computer and not have to have a fancy phone?
    Depends, I am not sure. You need the official blizzard mobile authenticator application, which costs 0$ ...yay something from blizz for free. (Using a 3rd party one could put your account at risk)

Call them and they'll ask you a series a questions to determine if the account is actually yours. If it is your account then you shouldn't have any problems answering the questions and they'll remove the authenticator right then, and you can add your new one whenever you get it.

I think I have heard of people using a phone emulator to have the authenticator on their computer.

I think I have heard of people using a phone emulator to have the authenticator on their computer.
    Yes, that is what the Chinese hackers use to block people from their own account when they get accounts (instead of just changing ur pass, they put their emulated phone authenticator app on ur account lolol)

(thats why blizzard says do not use these types of 3rd party emu's to download from the app store as it could put your acc at risk)

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Call them and they'll ask you a series a questions to determine if the account is actually yours. If it is your account then you shouldn't have any problems answering the questions and they'll remove the authenticator right then, and you can add your new one whenever you get it.

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to call them tomorrow cause me and my family just finished turning the house upside down for the third time looking for it...

The only thing I'd be worried about is I don't know the credit card info as my brother is kind enough to pay for my WoW so that I can save up money for a car and new computer... >.<

A phone emulator would be nice I wouldn't mind using it if it meant I'd stop losing my authenticator... >.>

There is a pc based authenticator on Google Codes, I have been using it for a year or so without issue, I would link the think how ever I am unsure of the forum rules never really posted much.

Oh editing to add the name.

winauth

Also looks like I found another called

WinBMA but I have never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    Ok, I have a few questions about the authenticator...
    I currently 'have' one of the key chain ones, but it is lost and I cannot find it for the life of me and I haven't been able to play at all today due to this fact...
    so my questions are...

Do you still have to wait 3 days after removing an authenticator to add a new one?
    Call blizzard, they are very polite and will handle the problem, just do what they ask and you'll be fine nps.

Quote Originally Posted by B3002ms View Post
    There is a pc based authenticator on Google Codes, I have been using it for a year or so without issue, I would link the think how ever I am unsure of the forum rules never really posted much.

winauth

Also looks like I found another called

WinBMA but I have never used it.
    I recommend WinAuth (code.google.com/p/winauth) as a decent desktop authenticator.

You should avoid WinBMA as it has some security flaws.

1) It doesn't encrypt the authenticator key, but stores in plain format in a file on your computer
    2) It uses the standard Random function (a known bad implementation) that can be replicated based on time. This means it is subject to a MITM attack for the initial enrollment where your data can be read.
    3) It uses fixed strings for the start of the enrollment data, the region and model: "USMotorola RAZR v3". This gives a head start to cracking your initial handshake, coupled with 2, making your transferred data insecure.
    4) The display of the code is not protected, so can be scraped by any window snooping application.

It was originally copied from the decode of the Java implementation, which was based on the 1.0 BMA API. That is now out of date.

WinAuth has recently been updated to use the new 1.1 API and so doesn't suffer the above problems.

Of course, the real physical keyfob device is the best if you want the best protection, or the iPhone version as the key is locked away in the encrypted keychain. However, these desktop authenticators provide convenience if you are happy to do that.

You can also now "restore" the iPhone authenticator into WinAuth so effective clone it.