Thread: Pokémon!

Im not sure how I feel about mega evolution. On Serebii it says [QUOTEThey "evolve" through a process called "Mega Evolution"[/QUOTE]. That makes me think its permanent should you choose to do so. I would also suspect that the mega forms would need to provide a serious power boost. If they have to hold an item to mega evolve, and only during battle, that would ruin strategies like using rest to heal, then having a held berry to immediately wake up. The addition of an item that creates a mega form would hinder held items in a competitive scene.

Pretty much in competitions, it would be either A mega form or B held item. I have a feeling it would be one of the options is chosen vastly more then the other. That is why I think its a permanent, outside of battle thing. Too many good held items to just go "nope, gotta hold this stone of a better form". Personally, I think its cool. I would like to know if All pokemon get a mega form. I really wanna see my glaceons mega form. I also want to know if just any pokemon can go into a mega form, or if they need to be pokemon with unusually good stats. Sort of like what people get for EV / IV training. That would make the forms a bit more prestigious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like part of competitive battling is all about what items you choose to bring in. Obviously mega forms would have to be a really big deal to make up for lack of other held items, which they look like they would be... going so far as to change the Pokemon's type. If anything, it adds more strategy than less.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

I think it's just held item form change that activates when you enter a battle and last maybe a few turns possibly? If you saw the episode of mewtwos new form he couldn't stay in it for long.

Either way mega absol will be mine. It's like looking at a half angel half devil.... Of course its tail is still ugly and out of place with the whole design like always.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I think it's just held item form change that activates when you enter a battle and last maybe a few turns possibly? If you saw the episode of mewtwos new form he couldn't stay in it for long.

Either way mega absol will be mine. It's like looking at a half angel half devil.... Of course its tail is still ugly and out of place with the whole design like always.
    Things in the anime don't always translate to the games. Like how pokemon don't ever get to follow you in the newer gens. Id be disappointed in giving up held items that offer a boost through out the entire battle for one that gives a boost for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Things in the anime don't always translate to the games. Like how pokemon don't ever get to follow you in the newer gens. Id be disappointed in giving up held items that offer a boost through out the entire battle for one that gives a boost for some.
    Depends if the new form is worth it. It'll prob come back in switch in. It's more like the pokemon cant hold the form for long because it exhaust them and they need a rest.

But mawhile megaform will rape everything with an immunity to poison and dragon oh god... fairy/steel type is going to be deadly.

I'm calling it right now. Megaevolution is just hold item that form changes in battle and last a few turns and comes back on switch in
    Last edited by zito; 2013-08-08 at 11:29 PM.

Depends if the new form is worth it. It'll prob come back in switch in. It's more like the pokemon cant hold the form for long because it exhaust them and they need a rest.

But mawhile megaform will rape everything with an immunity to poison and dragon oh god... fairy/steel type is going to be deadly.

I'm calling it right now. Megaevolution is just hold item that form changes in battle and last a few turns and comes back on switch in
    I say its a perma thing. Let the best theory win! Hopefully we get more news on this soon. Its really interesting. I tried that chat on Serebii and they couldn't care less about actually talking about pokemon on a pokemon news site.

lasting for only a few turns would suck royally especially if you have to give up an item slot.

it would also be a HUGE waste of the art team. nobody wants a cherrim again
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess is that the item would make it change form permanently while in battle, or else it wouldn't be worth a held item slot.

Unless it made your relevant stats triple or some shit for the short duration you were mega-evolved.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    lasting for only a few turns would suck royally especially if you have to give up an item slot.

it would also be a HUGE waste of the art team. nobody wants a cherrim again
    Cherrim is a weather form change, you had to waste a turn to get sunny day up with its incredible horrid defenses.

And it's not a waste of art, most of the time people switch out in just 3 or 4 turns unless they are trying to sweep. Not to mention "waste of an item" is redundant. Leftovers tends to be a waste of an item most of the time but people use it anyway. If you are using leftovers on a non tank/stalling pokemon its a waste of an item.

Deleted
    Omg so much information, need some serious time to process this. Love the MegaAmpharos, electric/dragon surprise.

But megablaziken? I wonder how smogon will react to this, that thing will need it's own tier.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2013-08-08 at 11:53 PM. Reason: I'm a bit drunk right now hehhehe

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Omg so much information, need some serious time to process this. Love the MegaAmpharos, electric/dragon surprise.

But megablaziken? I wonder how smogon will react to this, that thing will needs it's own tier.
    Form changes tend to not be a increase in power but just different abilities/typing/stat allocations.

Maybe mega mawhile will have lower attack in her form change thanks to huge power?

Cherrim is a weather form change, you had to waste a turn to get sunny day up with its incredible horrid defenses.

And it's not a waste of art, most of the time people switch out in just 3 or 4 turns unless they are trying to sweep. Not to mention "waste of an item" is redundant. Leftovers tends to be a waste of an item most of the time but people use it anyway. If you are using leftovers on a non tank/stalling pokemon its a waste of an item.
    its a waste of art when most people dont switch that often. and i didnt say waste of an item i said waste of an item slot. if my pokemon has to use this item to transform and not use a good item then it better look cool all the time
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

its a waste of art when most people dont switch that often. and i didnt say waste of an item i said waste of an item slot. if my pokemon has to use this item to transform and not use a good item then it better look cool all the time
    It isn't just an appearance change you know... it is giving you another typing/dif stats/dif abilitys to fit into more situations. So the hold item isn't a waste of an item slot if the conditions fit your team, if not then you shouldn't use it. Just like every other item.

It isn't just an appearance change you know... it is giving you another typing/dif stats/dif abilitys to fit into more situations.
    yeah but most people dont care about that much. its all about visuals

- - - Updated - - -

and the fact that it changes type ability and stats is even worse if it isnt permanent. thats way to confusing for 10 year olds

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I have to agree with Immitis here. Competitive battling is all fine and good, but this is Nintendo and they do need to have something in it that appeals to the kids who play the game.

Judging by the reactions of my 9, 7, and 6 year old cousins when I told them about this, they would be none too happy if it was only a two or three turn thing for in-battle instead of an always-on thing for in-battle.

You have to consider the fun factor instead of just the numbers factors. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Dragons seem to be an odd type to classify since we have two dragon like Pokemon that are not dragons (Charizard and Gyarados) and then we have Kingdra and Altaria that you wouldn't immediately think were dragons.
    Well Kingdra is a Weedy Sea Dragon, and Altaria is based off some Chinese bird dragon thing or something.

I never understood the "Ampharos is totally like a dragon!!!" thing. Its a damn sheep thats been sheared ...shorn? Is that the right word?

Also, Mega Blastoise please.
    Last edited by -Ethos-; 2013-08-08 at 11:58 PM.

Deleted
    Where did you guys/gals read that mega evos are not permament? Or is it just a rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Where did you guys/gals read that mega evos are not permament? Or is it just a rumor?
    its unconfirmed as of right now. all we know is that a gym leader teaches us about them, they do something with a mega stone, and torchic uses a blaziken knight

its unconfirmed as of right now. all we know is that a gym leader teaches us about them, they do something with a mega stone, and torchic uses a blaziken knight
    Hmmm ok, could it be that when using a mega stone on a pokemon with a certain held item changes their next evolution form?

So while combusken is holding blaziken knight while a mega stone is used on it it will be a mega blaziken?

Deleted
    Ah that makes sense, apparently Newtwo is also a megaform, does anyone know if it reverted back to it's original form during the movie after changing?
    Edit: Because if not it just might indicate that it's permament.

Edit2: And if those are permament... Eviolite. Nuff said.

Smogon will love this gen.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2013-08-09 at 12:11 AM.