Thread: Pokémon!

for every gen..

1st. my very 1st starter was a bulbasaur why? som game book said he was good for the 1st few gyms to get my feet wet. blastoise was next then charizard. charizard was..ok but eventually he was replace by a speed and streght combo of areodactlye and dragonite. (face it that rock/flying combo was really powerful and even rare candied had still a great amount of speed to out speed half the game..and yes he detroyed every charizard i ever faced.

2nd. Cyndaquil..i never played the other starters he facerolled the game for me. and i beleive meganium didnt have much in terms of stab attacks back then and he didnt get anything til gen 4. the water dude..i dont remember him much but also i tend to not use water types the only water type that has ever been leveled by me has been a milotic.

3rd. i picked me a torchic. the other 2 were good but i didnt like treeko til gen 4 for some reason. mudkip was ok but i didnt know he was physical not special..so he didnt appeal to me.

4th. i felt 2 fire/fighting types in a row was lame i hated it. so i didnt even give chimchar a shot, i tried piplup 1st. but he felt really week between 15-36 but when he gained steel it was alot better. turtwig kinda felt faceroll all the way up.but also his ground typing felt more like a weakness then anything else.

5th. i scoped this out way in advance. i agian wasnt gonna give a fire/fighting type a shot, i got tired of water types by this point and the fact i wopuld have tried basulin but he wasnt catchable til he was useless for my team. i was left with snivy. his speed and abilities early on made him a great choice. now to look forward to gen 6..IF I SEE ANOTHER FIRE/FIGHTING TYPE IM GOING TO JAPAN AND GIVING A PEICE OF MY MIND!!!
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    "Which starters I chose per generation"
    Hmmm.... All the friends I could play against had no clue of how EVs and IVs worked, neither did I. So therefore I didn't really care about strength, as I beat the game easily and my friends didn't have the strongest pokemon either. I picked the pokemon I liked the most lookswise.
    1st gen: Any pokemon were ok, imo.
    2nd gen: I hated Totodile's line, though gave it a try and thought it was quite a strong pokemon (though ugly)
    3rd gen: I liked all three, but less than the 1st gen's starters.
    4th gen: I liked Turtwig's line the best. The rest I did gave a try, but Turtwig was it for me.
    5th gen: Hmm, I only like Oshawot's line. Played it twice and tried Tepig aswell.
    6th gen: So far, I guess water won't be my choice this time.

Deleted
    1st gen, all were ok, bzut charmanders line was the best
    2nd Totodile and Cyndaquil are awesome Chikorita is meh
    3rd Liked all, by far the best Grass starter
    4th Chimchar>>>>>>>Piplup>Turtwig
    5th Only reasonable one was Oshawott's line
    6th GIEF FENNEKIN AND CHESPIN!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Totodile eats them all for breakfast. Probably literally as well.

That aside:

1-Charmander for the nostalgia. This is easily the best rounded generation IMO.
    2-See above for God Emperor Crocodile Pokemon. Cyndaquil in a distant second and Chikorita is blergh.
    3-Torchic is my go-to because I love so many Gen 3 Water types (Wailord, Sharpedo, Walrein, etc.). Mudkip and Treecko aren't bad; probably the 2nd best rounded.
    4-Turtwig is my favorite, Grass/Ground is a great combo save for Ice types. Chimchar is pretty good. Haven't played Piplup enough.
    5-Tepig is numero uno for me, but I haven't played far with Snivy and Oshawott's line gets progressively mediocre.
    6-TBA
    Last edited by Nadev; 2013-03-05 at 08:28 PM.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't care less about the statistical advantage. I picked the ones that looked the best to me. That being said:

1. Bulbasaur
    2. Cyndaquil
    3. Treecko
    4. I didn't really like any of these, however I went with Turtwig
    5. Again, wasn't a huge fan of any of them, went with Tepig
    6. Not familiar with their names yet but the Grass one is adorable. I'll be going with him.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

the hell man the hell..

my friend code...

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Charmander!
    2. Cyndaquil!
    3. Torchic!
    4. monkey one!
    5. I didn't actually like any of the starters. Was tired of another fire/fighting combo. I think I chose the water one.
    6. Will be going back to fire definitely ^_^

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Can't remember if Bulbasaur or Squirtle was my first. Squirtle was my favourite.
    2. Totodile
    3/4. Didn't play
    5. Oshawott

15+ Year Old Account
    1) Squirtle - Always thought he started as the cutest and ended up the most badass with those cannons. The first time i played through i only leveled him, he ended up being level 60~ by the time i realised i could level my whole team and wondered why he kept ignoring me for not having enough badges.

2) Totodile. I loved Feraligatr. I liked Chikorita but could never get a female one (and Chikorita should never be male.) i liked Typhlosion, but it learns such bad moves that i couldnt stand using it and used different fire types.

3) I didnt like any of them in particular. Mudkip was adorable, but i hate Marshtomp. Actually, Torchic and Treecko are adorable too, but i hate their evolutions just as much as Marshtomp. Probably my least favourite generation of Pokemon. The only redeeming Pokemon here was Absol. <3

4) Monferno was overpowered, such good moves, so Chimchar wins here. I have to say though Empoleon has a great typing. I won so many battle frontier matches with him alone - definitely makes up for Piplup. I never liked Turtwig.

5) Samurott and Emboar were both pretty solid, but Samurott won out because the genius' at Game Freak decided not to implement any fishing rods til endgame, so Oshawott was one of like 3 water types obtainable before surf. Huge dislike for Snivy's evolutionary line.

I never liked Grass as a type, and have never really liked any of the Grass starters (excluding Bulbasaur's evolutionary line). Water/Fire are usually my go-to starters, depending on availablitiy (Gen 4 defaulted to Fire because Game Freak again decided it was a great idea to have less than 10 fire types available...).

If the starter types are the way people are expecting them to be this time round, I'll probably go with Froakie (especially if he ends up evolving to Water/Fighting).

Dark, Fighting, Dragon and Steel are my favourite types. Throw in a Water type for Surf, and round the team off with another random Pokemon that will give me solid coverage. But there will always be at least one of those types in my game teams.
    Last edited by -Ethos-; 2013-03-06 at 02:02 AM.

1. Charmander, but I liked all of them, just Charmander a little more.

2. Cindaquil. It goes from a mouse to what looks to be a lion. I liked Chikorita too.

3. Torchic/Treeko

4. Turtwig.

5. Snivy.

6. Fennekin.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

15+ Year Old Account
    the hell man the hell..
    *Bidoof video*
    Whaha, this is so epic! The other guy must have been like "WTF, I lost against Bidoofs. Stupid lame legendaries." The guy with the legendaries played terrible though. No skill whatsoever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taurenburger View Post
    Whaha, this is so epic! The other guy must have been like "WTF, I lost against Bidoofs. Stupid lame legendaries." The guy with the legendaries played terrible though. No skill whatsoever.
    Yeah seriously. Keeps using Swords Dance on his Blaziken even though it's not needed whatsoever...

1. Bulbasaur - I liked all three starters, but he was one of the few good grass types.
    2. Cindaquil - Adorable, and back in the day it was easy to get Typhlosion Thunderpunch.
    3. Torchic - I didn't really like any of those starters.
    4. Piplup - Empoleon was the best looking hands down.
    5. I can't remember what I chose, but I deposited it almost immediately because they were all ugly. I'd never benched a starter before the elite 4 before. Looking at images, probably the fire thing.

why so uch gen 3 hate? geez. i still remember my line up that i had. blaziken,flygon,milotic..got lucky fishing her up lol,zangoose, i have no idea how he did so well in the elite 4 at level 25. i might have had a groudon and a shiftree.
    my friend code...

Deleted
    why so uch gen 3 hate? geez. i still remember my line up that i had. blaziken,flygon,milotic..got lucky fishing her up lol,zangoose, i have no idea how he did so well in the elite 4 at level 25. i might have had a groudon and a shiftree.
    Gen 3 is awesome. But then, I guess I like most Pokemon from every gen^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I know a lot of reasons cited are:

-Lots of water. Everything after Lilycove City you're fucked without Surf, Dive and Waterfall.

-Knockoff Pokemon. Beautifly being one of the most obvious.

-Only 200 Pokemon in the Pokedex. Gen II gave you the ability to trade old Pokemon back and forth with Gen I provided they didn't know Gen II moves and/or weren't new Pokemon. With Gen III, not only could you not trade your Gen I/II Pokemon, but a good number of them weren't available at all until the release of FR/LG and Emerald.*

-Shallow story line. Yes, Team Rocket is pretty lousy in this regard too, but at least they were about taking over the world. There isn't any logical thought behind Team Magma and Aqua's plans as you can't live without land or water.

-Godmode Legendaries. Right about here is where legendaries became kind of ridiculous. Before they were rare and/or powerful, now they're creating the planet.

That's about all I can think of. Feel free to add more.

*That said, while R/S were my least favorite games, Gen III introduced (imo) the largest number of cool Pokemon. Blaziken, Swampert, Shiftry, Slaking, Hariyama, Wailord, Sharpedo, Flygon, Camerupt, Armaldo, Cacturne, Pelipper, Walrein, the list goes on and onnnnnnnnn.
    Men!

I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to change the subject a little.

Anyone play the game with this little gem in it? With Yu-Gi-Oh!'s success as a TCG and multiple TCGs on the DS, I'm wondering why there's not been an English sequel to this one. With 775 Pokemon, there must be at least two or three cards for each pokemon out there, it would make an incredibly in-depth game (and it's far simpler to play than Yu-Gi-Oh!).
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Gen III introduced (imo) the largest number of cool Pokemon. Blaziken, Swampert, Shiftry, Slaking, Hariyama, Wailord, Sharpedo, Flygon, Camerupt, Armaldo, Cacturne, Pelipper, Walrein, the list goes on and onnnnnnnnn.
    Pelipper suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Just had to make sure that was emphasised enough.

My problem with Gen 3 is the designs (and the pokemon themselves) went from stunningly amazing:

...to:

But anyway;

Azurill - Really? Was a useless baby version of Marill really neccessary?
    Plusle/Minun - The birth of the generic pikachu cutesy ripoff.
    Castform - Shameless subplot device.
    Wurmple - because every game needs a throw-away bug pokemon thats only useful for those first 15 levels right Game Freak?
    And then we have all the subpar one-offs that havent already been mentioned:
    Volbeat
    Illumise
    Nosepass
    Mawile
    Roselia (which gets points for actually being a solid pokemon)
    Zangoose
    Seviper
    Lunatone
    Solrock
    Kecleon
    Tropius (ugh)
    Chimecho

So many pokemon in this generation either didnt evolve, or were part of a 2 stage evolution that ended up pretty with average stats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    The pokemon tcg is horrible and broken, whoever gets a lead wins, I really don't enjoy playing it. (I do like Yu-Gi-Oh however)
    I have to agree with this. I never liked the Pokemon tcg, I still play Yu Gi Oh to this day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    Pelipper suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Just had to make sure that was emphasised enough.
    He was on my very first team in Ruby. He was like the perfect partner for Blaziken AND he could learn Shock Wave. Mind blown.

He's near and dear to my heart for that reason. Even if he's bad, which I am more than willing to concede.
    Men!