Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dead Island forces my GPU Fan speed to max

As the title says, Dead Island forces my GPU fan speed to max.
    My GPU is an Nvidia GTX Evga 470. Ive put Vsync on and the same happens. Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you
    ____
    Faulty Mitchell

So uh, is it over heating or just making your GPU make lots of "scary" noise because the fan is ramped up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    So uh, is it over heating or just making your GPU make lots of "scary" noise because the fan is ramped up?
    Yes, this. It sounds like it is going to explode, when i close Dead Island the GPU Fan speed lowers fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty Mitchell View Post
    Yes, this. It sounds like it is going to explode, when i close Dead Island the GPU Fan speed lowers fast.
    So it's not over heating at all, it just gets loud. Are you afraid the plastic fan blade is going to fly through the metal cover and through your aluminum case into you? I'm kinda amused by you buying a higher level GPU and being upset over the noise. That's kinda like buying a Harley Davidson motorcycle and saying it's too loud. My 6850 has no issues and is always loud as fuck, so I'm not sure what to tell you.
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

... Im use to the sound lol.... Ive had this GPU for ages now, i meen it goes to 100% Max speed fan :S Rofl....

if its not overheating then you shouldnt worry, my fan sounds like a jet engine but it still runs effectively so i wouldn't worry too much about it, eventually you can always see if there is another reason for the noise rather than the high speed of the fan.

... Im use to the sound lol.... Ive had this GPU for ages now, i meen it goes to 100% Max speed fan :S Rofl....
    All it's doing is trying to cool itself off and you said it's not over heating, so I'm not really sure what you're having an issue with. Just wondering why it's turning up the fan speed?

Xxf2dxx, its just Dead Island i can play any other game and the GPU fan speed stays solid and nothing happens. But the second i open Dead Island my fan speed goes insanely loud. So i just figured it was a problem with my GPU and the game.

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 07:47 AM ----------

Hence why i posted and asked

Well first you ask for help, and then post this.

You make no sense.
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz | Corsair H70 | SLI GTX580 @ 850 Core | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB (Boot)
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB RAM @ 1800mhz 8-9-8-24

Avid game lover and Twitch streamer @ twitch.tv/rendhammerTV

Xxf2dxx, its just Dead Island i can play any other game and the GPU fan speed stays solid and nothing happens. But the second i open Dead Island my fan speed goes insanely loud. So i just figured it was a problem with my GPU and the game.

Or the game demands more out of the GPU than your other games?

Sorry i meant it sits @ like 60% speed fan, then dead island pushes it to 100%. Yes, didn't reread before i posted. :S

10+ Year Old Account

Did you check the temperatures with Dead Island up and running and compare them to other games...? Easy fix.. Just bloody get MSI Afterburner and make your own fan profiles.

Some of my games, my HD 6850 fan goes up, but I do check temperatures shortly after the game, and I was around 55-60 degrees which is fine.

I suggest you get http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

The HWMonitor is a good tool to use, like you alt tab and then check all your temperatures for everything and fan speeds, if possible when Dead Island speeds up the fan, alt tab and quickly open it and check temps for me. Anything over 70 degrees you may want to be concerned about.

Sh!t, i guess my GPU is overheating, but last time i checked it it stables at around 50-60, (About a month agao) open it today and it just shoots upto 90
    *Moves to case and turns fan speeds up from low to high*

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 02:07 PM ----------

The 90c is at 3300 RPM on my 470 fan speeds also.

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 02:14 PM ----------

Im going to predict that my heatsink in my GPU is F'd
    Pic: http://imgur.com/DBXeh (Temps)
    Last edited by Faulty Mitchell; 2011-09-10 at 02:06 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    While 90c seems high on a GTX470 their max temp is right around 110c if I am not mistaken. More than likely you are still using an older revision of an nVidia driver and need to update. Before you ask, yes drivers can control and optimize fan speeds, clock speeds, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's a bit hot indeed. have you opened up the case and thoroughly cleaned out the fan and heatsink on the GPU as well as the whole inside of the case to remove dust buildup?

Uggor, yes i have. I did it yesterday and it is sparkling clean now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Raise the GPU's fan speed to 80-90% or so. Before you ask how, go google MSI Afterburner.

A GTX 465 I have that unlocked into a GTX 470(shaders/clock speed/memory bus/memory capacity) idles at 42C for 40-50% fan and runs about 72-74C on load at 75%-80% fan Lol

You may want to consider redoing the thermal paste on the card if you're skilled enough(If you can't handle 10-12 screws on the back of the card you probably should be playing with legos and not PC's).
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-09-10 at 02:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Make sure you don't have the "dev" version of Dead Island, which was accidentally pushed to Steam by the creators. If you can press "Y" in game and start to fly, you have the dev version and should patch the latest update.
    2. Have you recently updated your graphic drivers? If not, do so. If you have, try rolling back to a previous version.

[edit: Also note JustintimeSS's fix in this thread.]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-09-10 at 05:24 PM.

Since it sounds like no one in this thread has played the game is just blurting out generic googled advice. The game is fun to play but it's very obvious it is a shaky console port.

It is very GPU intensive and is not optimized on release, plain and simple. Many many people with solid specs are having to use their gpu's fans on max to keep them from melting. Manually turning on Vsync can help but, the only other option you have are manually turning down other settings in the config.

As of right now wait for an update and some fixes hopefully to come soon. I don't like playing the game for very long cause it's fucking destructive to my cpu lol.