Thread: overclocking

Deleted

overclocking

Hello, http://www.speldatorn.se/cgi-bin/pro...tationara.html
    this is the specs i have

it's an intel Pentium E5500 2,80ghz CPU and i overclocked it to 3.2GHz but when i check it directly on the computer it says 3,8GHz but with CPU-Z it says 3.2GHz which one is correct and how much more can i OC? I would like to be able to run wow better

Deleted
    There was little need to create a new thread; you could have just as easily asked in the previous one.

Deleted
    I locked your other thread. Please stick to a single thread from now on.

Deleted
    well, the other thread was about any program to check heat, so maybe ppl would think it was already solved with that amount of post so making a new thread just about overclocking would get more ppl helping atleast that's how i thought.

@Magekid okay will do.

Deleted
    Here is the specification sheet of your CPU:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/42800/...800-MHz-FSB%29

It lists the max safe working temperature at 74.1°C, and that it's part of the "Wolfdale" CPUs. The E5500 can be "easily" clocked to 3.2-3.6GHz afaik with proper cooling and RAM, but is not something I would recommend unless you know what you are doing. Overclocking this CPU with a moderate MoBo means you can only change the FSB, meaning that your OC will be limited by your RAM modules. You might be able to change the multiplier as well, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-09-10 at 02:49 PM.

Deleted
    With the current cooler and such how much can i OC? And how do i change so i can OC to the amount i want it to?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Here is the specification sheet of your CPU:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/42800/...800-MHz-FSB%29

It lists the max safe working temperature at 74.1°C, and that it's part of the "Wolfdale" CPUs.
    That's the max tCase temperature, which is the temperature at the center of the integrated heat spreader. The core temps will usually be about 20°C higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeya View Post
    With the current cooler and such how much can i OC? And how do i change so i can OC to the amount i want it to?
    You can overclock as much as your hardware allows (based on temperature and voltage). That varies depending upon your specific CPU (not model, but the specific one in your computer), motherboard, RAM, etc. If you want to change how much you can overclock, you need new hardware (new motherboard, CPU, etc).

Deleted
    i believe i overclocked my computer to 3.2 GHz on the computer it says 3,8GHz but programs such as CPU-Z says 3,2GHz anyway is it good to be around 38-45°C?

15+ Year Old Account
    i believe i overclocked my computer to 3.2 GHz on the computer it says 3,8GHz but programs such as CPU-Z says 3,2GHz anyway is it good to be around 38-45°C?
    At what point do you have that temp? Idle, WoW, stress testing? If that's during a stress test, it's great. If it's while idle, it's not that great.

Deleted
    this is while playing wow on 25man with full ultra except for shadows and sunshaft on a stack heavy fight Rhyolith.

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 06:21 PM ----------

if i stress test it it'll go up to bout 45-48 after a min or so.

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 06:30 PM ----------

SO is this good temp on wow?

15+ Year Old Account
    While I highly doubt that a stress test only causes a 3°C increase over WoW, a temp in the 40s is fine for WoW for your CPU.

Deleted
    well i have about 40-42 while playing wow with stress test it's at 50-46 after 2,5min so 1 core is at 50 and the other one at 46.

15+ Year Old Account
    well i have about 40-42 while playing wow with stress test it's at 50-46 after 2,5min so 1 core is at 50 and the other one at 46.
    Which stress test are you running? Also, let it run at least 10 minutes to get up to a peak temperature.

Deleted
    It's called Orthos

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 07:22 PM ----------

after 10mins it was at 49 first core and 47 second core, it was mixing between 46 and 47 and the first one was mixing with 49 and 50.

---------- Post added 2011-09-11 at 01:16 PM ----------

bumping my own thread
    Last edited by mmocba87914f71; 2011-09-11 at 11:54 AM.

Deleted
    So is the temperature fine?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You really should be using Prime 95 or Intel Burn Test. We're all much more familiar with those stress tests and will be better able to advise how yours is doing.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    with prime 95 it was at 51-49 after 10mins stabke sometimes it jumps up to 53-52 but then it's going down to 51-49 again.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You have to run it for longer than 10 minutes to consider it 'stable' I would recommend running it for several hours.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard