Want upgrade ram.

I would like to go from 4 gb ram to 12 gb. My motherboard -http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55D_PRO/#specifications .
    I-7 860. i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231358. Any tips or other suggestions would be a lot of help. Feel free to link other 12 gb sets you might think are a better buy. tyvm
    Last edited by Sirflyzini; 2011-09-10 at 03:47 PM.

The RAM kit you linked is triple channel, but your motherboard (and really any motherboard without an X58 chipset) only supports dual channel. Your best bet would be getting an 8GB kit like this one (same as the one you linked, just two sticks instead of three)... and unless you have a specific reason for needing more than that, 8GB should be plenty

Your motherboard can't use that RAM. You need 'dual channel' (a set of two sticks of ram), not 'triple channel'(a set of three like your looking at).

Ty. So can i use 2 sets of dual because i have 4 slots??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirflyzini View Post
    Ty. So can i use 2 sets of dual because i have 4 slots??
    Yes. /ineeded10characters

Just get 2x4gb, that's more than you need. You can always add more later.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have had this pc over a year now. I bought it with upgrading in mind. Now is that time. I dont want to dilly dick around, i want to upgrade to its max potential for this year and maybe 1 more year of this being my main Pc. I understand going to 16 gb is overkill for what i use it for , but i d rather overkill than upgrade a 3rd time down the road. With that said....anybody have some suggestions for that? TY all for your help too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirflyzini View Post
    I have had this pc over a year now. I bought it with upgrading in mind. Now is that time. I dont want to dilly dick around, i want to upgrade to its max potential for this year and maybe 1 more year of this being my main Pc. I understand going to 16 gb is overkill for what i use it for , but i d rather overkill than upgrade a 3rd time down the road. With that said....anybody have some suggestions for that? TY all for your help too!
    8gb is enough for at least 4 years or so. Will easily outlive the rest of your pc.
    Most high-end games right now don't use more than 2-3gb.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

15+ Year Old Account
    16gb is a waste of money for only gaming/web browsing

get 8gb of fast quality RAM if you want to spend money