Will a clean intall fix it?

I recently ran a tdss root kill program in order to allow me to effectively scan and thus remove the google redirect virus... upon finding *something* the program asked me to restart, which I then did. However, the laptop will not start, rather, it will not ever move beyond windows repair: I've tried all sorts of commands, recoveries etc and none will work.
    Thus I have two questions: Would a clean, brand new install of windows, formatting the drive get it working again? I'm aware I would lose all data doing this.

Since I'm talking about a laptop, would it need to be a special version of windows 7 home premium?

Yes to the first and no to the second.
    Also I'd try booting up with an external hd and fix what's wrong or save important data. Also, dont do it unless you can do it correctly.

If you dont want to lose data, you can boot the computer with some linux live CD and see if you can access the windows files from there. If it works, you can copy your files to USB stick or external USB HDD first and then wipe the disc clean.

Windows 7 works fairly well in all kinds of weird computers with plain vanilla install DVD, but you might need drivers for more exotic stuff such as extra multimedia keys and memory card readers. Installing the OS itself should work without problems.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    a clean install should solve it if it is a software problem, and no ether version of win7 hp would be fine (only 2 versions i believe, 32 and 64bit?).

Get a flash drive with ubuntu on it and backup your precious data and Format whatever needs formatting.

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by snakecatcher View Post
    a clean install should solve it if it is a software problem, and no ether version of win7 hp would be fine (only 2 versions i believe, 32 and 64bit?).
    On my HP, 32bit crashes the system during installation.

Thank you for this info guys.

Deleted
    I'll add only this , as a general rule, when a pc gets seriously damaged by an infection, important data is important, but by copying/trying to save some of that you always run the risk of copying the infection

Thats the thing - I have no interest in trying to save what is already on there, and no doubt that the hardware is fine. All I need is it up and running.

What brand of laptop? You can just run the manufacturers recovery tool, or use the back up discs that you should have created when you first got the system. If you don't have the discs made, you should still be able to reinstall from the recovery partition though. That is, if you didn't delete it. If you don't see it, don't worry. it's typically hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    What brand of laptop? You can just run the manufacturers recovery tool, or use the back up discs that you should have created when you first got the system. If you don't have the discs made, you should still be able to reinstall from the recovery partition though. That is, if you didn't delete it. If you don't see it, don't worry. it's typically hidden.
    Its a Dell laptop that I'm working with - she doesn't have any recovery disks, but there should be a partition as far as I know. Either way, I've tried the launch repair, system restore, system image recovery, command prompt and finally the dell data safe restore and emergency backup - all to no avail.

Did you try starting the system, and then holding CTRL+F11 when you see the Dell splash screen to run the Dell PC Restore tool.

Ctrl f11 doesn't do anything...

Hmm what's the model. There should be a hot-key sequence to access the hidden partition and restore tool if it is still present. You can also access this through Advanced Boot Options.

1. Hit F8 at startup to access the windows Advanced Boot Options menu.
    2. Select Repair Your Computer and hit Enter.
    3. On the System Recovery Options Window, select your keyboard input method.
    4. On the next System Recovery Options Window, Select a user name and provide the appropriate password if applicable.
    5. The next window should list the Windows installations and ask which one you want to repair. Click on the white blank space to deselect any installations, and hit Next. If none are listed, it's ok. Just hit Next.
    6. This should bring up the actual System Recovery Options such as Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt. At the bottom, the Dell PC Restore tool should be listed. Use that. Hopefully it will be able to access the system restore partition.