Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dungeon Deserter debuff

So for the first time ever, I was booted from a random group today (I usually queue to tank several heroics a week to try to 'give back' a little to the LFD community). Amusingly, it was in a 'regular' random heroic, and because I was wearing my kitty gear rather than a set fully optimized for bear - though I was tanking in bear spec and form, and I've tanked heroic T11 content easily in the same.
    What surprised me was that I got hit with a 30 minute dungeon deserter debuff, even though my early departure was not of my choosing. This wasn't a huge hindrance as I don't need the randoms, but while I can see this as a penalty for choosing to drop group don't see the reasoning on its application here.

I guess this just lends credence to the adage "No good deed goes unpunished."

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

i get booted all the time, i dont know if its because i am an asshole and just dont care if they wanna wait for another tank,or if just cause im an asshole, i cant figure that one out. online virtual respect means nothing to me.
    If at first you don't succeed,kick the hunter and try again.

that tool (and LFD in general) is ridiculously broken for every non-retarded person to use properly. Pisses me off when someone is a carrothead and cannot be kicked for another 2-4 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by keule View Post
    that tool (and LFD in general) is ridiculously broken for every non-retarded person to use properly. Pisses me off when someone is a carrothead and cannot be kicked for another 2-4 hours...
    I was running with 2 other friends in dungeons we got into a random with 2 people who were also friends. One was a ele shaman who refused to stop using his knock back on caster mobs though asked repeatedly to stop by myself and the tank. But because we were a group of three and the other was his friend we weren't allowed to vote kick him. What a crock of...

hey Kaeryn, got any belf toons?
    If at first you don't succeed,kick the hunter and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thakgor View Post
    hey Kaeryn, got any belf toons?
    lol, are you sure you're an asshole?

I hate being in 5 mans with friends/guildies. If the group is just completely terrible, I feel bad if I leave early, and force my friends to suffer the bs alone. :/

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't been kicked in a while but usually it's because I forced them to kick me by porting out of the dungeon and taunting them while flying around Orgrimmar.

Deleted
    last time i got kicked is was because i was on my disc priest, healing ZA,'s first boss when we wipe cause dps failed to kill the bird when i was on top of it, they blamed me that i did not know what i was doing and that 10k hps was a joke also, they where 4 friends (typical) so they just kicked me cause i "failed" ... lol

Ive been kicked a few times, and it seems to be random whether or not you get the debuff....annoys me a lot when this happens, feels like those players 'chose' how my next half hour would be spent (not in a dungeon).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by keule View Post
    Yea, it sucks. Sometimes you just have to carry a baddie that does <10k dps and ninjapulls mobs, in ZA/ZG...

its alot of fun when you enter a dungeon and it falls apart right when you get in and then you try and leave and you get the debuff what fun

Deleted
    ive been kicked a few times, dont really mind the debuff, as long as its not on a new character that i want to gear up.

Deleted
    i got kicked once and it was completely uncalled for. im still not sure if it was some bug just throwing me out, or if they all voted about it. it was a normal quiet random run, was playing my hunter after waiting 25 min in queve, then halfway trough the run i was kicked. and its not like i had ninjapulled/died/low dps (in fact i was highest). they didnt even say anything and suddenly i was kicked...
    though i dont mind the debuff. if someone is kicked its probably for a good reason and the debuff is probably deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Thakgor View Post
    i get booted all the time, i dont know if its because i am an asshole and just dont care if they wanna wait for another tank,or if just cause im an asshole, i cant figure that one out. online virtual respect means nothing to me.
    Just so you know, the "wait" for another tank is just as long as it takes for the next person to hit accept, which is usually 10 seconds tops. Where people get the idea that "LOL ENJOY YOUR 20 MINUTE WAIT FOR ANOTHER TANK" comes from is beyond me. It's literally less than a minute every single time a group needs a new tank, the same applies with any other role. Also, grats on being proud (seemingly) of being an asshole to people you don't even know, that's pretty awesome of you.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Dungeon Deserter system does not work at ALL, its just one big pile of useless crap.

People can AFK an entire dungeon, and there is nothing you can do about it. At the same time, 4 friends can kick you "for fun" just before the last boss, and you are stuck with the deserter debuff.

The problem, as far as I am concerned, is that a system that would actually work, where useless AFK'ers and people who behave like complete morons gets booted consistently, would cost Blizzard subscriptions - which is why it will never happen.

I am not even signing for Dungeons once I hit 85 because of this system. If I cannot go with a guild group, I'd rather not go at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Googolplex View Post
    The problem as fasr as I am concerned, is that a system that would actually work, where useless AFK'ers and people who behave like complete morons gets booted consistently, would cost Blizzard subscriptions - which is why it will never happen.
    like with all those people running bots. takes several warnings before ban. id say, if they are 100% sure they are botting/hacking - just ban them already :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeryn View Post
    I was running with 2 other friends in dungeons we got into a random with 2 people who were also friends. One was a ele shaman who refused to stop using his knock back on caster mobs though asked repeatedly to stop by myself and the tank. But because we were a group of three and the other was his friend we weren't allowed to vote kick him. What a crock of...
    The kick system wasn't meant to kick people for any little thing they do wrong. Were you wiping because of his knock back? No, then deal with it!

If a player gets kicked, then the assumption should be that the player did something wrong. As such, it seems only right that the kicked player has the dungeon deserter debuff. As a tank myself, I think this is fair. Having a tank trolling a group only to get kicked, when he can get instant queues is a system for abuse. 30m CD is only right for all roles.

The problem you've got is players kicking you for minor reasons. Something that came up in the recent topic about the kick timer too. In this thread we find people claiming to have been kicked unfairly, and in the other we will see complaints that the kick system doesn't let them kick people often enough. Personally I think the best solution is a system that has consequences:

"When you vote to kick someone, there is a 50:50 chance that an additional random player who voted "Yes" to the kick will also be removed."

Essentially there's a 1/6 chance that you'll also get removed if you vote someone out. It doesn't stop you from removing people who are preventing the group from progressing, because at that point it is worth the risk, assuming you cannot talk to them nicely and persuade them to leave.

It does however discourage you from kicking people from minor reasons, like slight problems with gear, when the bosses are still dying, because you don't want to risk being removed yourself from a run that actually does have the ability to complete the dungeon.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

When you get booted you get a stealth buff that prevents you from getting kicked for another 4 hours. (I'm pretty sure)
    My Tumblr. (:
    My warlock.
    My Paladin.
    My Lolking
    Lel I bought my spectral tiger from the horde auction house at 9 in the morning for the sweet sweet price of 1c.

The simple fact is that there is no way for Blizzard to determine the reasoning behind why someone is kicked, but it is safe to say that the player who is kicked did not actively seek to be booted, so they did not, in fact, desert the group.

I could see a timed debuff against requeuing being applied to a player who is kicked 'x' times in certain time period, to mitigate against those few asinine people who queue for the sole purpose of aggravating others, but if a player does not voluntarily leave a group mid-run then they should not be so restricted. I was booted because my gear wasn't optimized for tanking. I was in the appropriate spec, and my gear so severely outpaced the requirements of the instance to make it a trivial task to tank (my health, threat, armor, & dodge in current kitty gear are far better than what I had in 'bear' gear at the required item level). If I were trying to tank in kitty spec, or in moonkin gear, etc, I could easily understand the group's (rightful) concern that I'd have a hard time accomplishing the task.

Early on in the expansion's release I recall a few times being kicked from a group where I was the only non-guildie to make room for their guildie who needed a piece of gear, or was incapable of accomplishing the role I fulfilled on bosses leading up to the current one.

So in short, if a player is kicked, it's an involuntary removal and they should not be penalized (unless they're kicked repeatedly, which denotes they're doing something so clearly wrong that the general community repeatedly sees it as grounds for removal).

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic