Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    so when im reformatting my external harddrive i should back everything up first? because it might be deleting them to make a new hard drive for itself? that would be hard to do considering that i have a 100 gigs in my small external that i need and tranfering that monster would take a long while.

or am i misunderstanding and should just run the tool and copy the little bugger(the file that was giving me problems) when the tool is done?
    you have two options:
    option 1:
    go ahead with original plan and split file with software like winrar.

option 2:
    backup all your data on the external harddrive, delete all the data through a process called formatting and at the same time change storage format from FAT32 to NTFS.

option 3 (kinda option 2):
    do not backup data, just format.

in your case option 1 sounds like the best idea should you not have physical room for a complete backup of your important things.

*edit*
    it is possible to convert a drive to NTFS from FAT or FAT32 without formatting, this is however not recommended as the process can screw up the index and as such you will have to format anyway which kinda defeats the point. all in all without backing up doing anything to the drive other than writing/reading is a generally bad idea, just in case something does happen.

should you still want to do it you just have to connect your drive, press windows button + R, enter CMD, press enter, and write:
    convert X: /FS:NTFS

where X is the letter of the drive you're trying to convert in My Computer.

@confused regarding FAT32 vs NTFS
    the main reason FAT32 discs are still floating around is because macs don't play with NTFS, but both windows and OS X play with FAT32, thus making the external drive universal for all intents and purposes.
    Last edited by mmoc63f6c1cc20; 2011-09-10 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    you can convert fat32 hard drive to ntfs with convert command without losing any file
    Steps to using the convert command in vista are here and should be the same in winXP or win7. You do not have to back up your data using this method but I personally would just to be safe.

so when im reformatting my external harddrive i should back everything up first? because it might be deleting them to make a new hard drive for itself?
    If I get what your saying here thats correct. Formatting your disk erases the data on it which is why everyone told you to back it up first they just didnt mention why in very plain terms (no offense to anyone intended)
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Many external harddrives, like my father's, have a built in recycling bin. Check if your has one and empty it out to actually clear space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    Myself, yes, I have always wanted to be a mod
    Probably not, the job sucks.