Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ethernet Switches.

So I am heading off to University in 1 week and the room that I have there only has one Ethernet port in the wall. My question is, will a Ethernet switch such as this: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/330907...rlrefer=search allow me to use several devices off of one Ethernet cable or is a router required for that.

Much appreciated.

Yes. Simply plug one cable from the wall to the switch, and then a cable for every other device. However if you want wireless you'll need a router.

Deleted
    i bought a cheap £5 one from Maplin store, works fine, we got our router down stairs, but all our internet using devices are upstairs, so instead of a load of cables evberywhere, we got 1 going up into this ethernet switch, then from that 4 others to the different rooms :_) should be fine

good luck at uni =)

It should work fine... unless your university's network has a crappy configuration.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It should. My router only has one ethernet cable lead into my room and i have a switch, which allowed me to connect both my ps3 and my pc to the internet.

Deleted
    Assuming you can obtain more than one IP address per room (this being controlled by your UNI/ISP), yes. Normally you should be able to.

If you are limited to one IP per room, a Router (or really just anything with NAT+PAT) will be required.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Assuming you can obtain more than one IP address per room (this being controlled by your UNI/ISP), yes. Normally you should be able to.

If you are limited to one IP per room, a Router (or really just anything with NAT+PAT) will be required.
    Is there anyway I could find that out prior, or during my stay there? I really have no clue.

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Yes. Simply plug one cable from the wall to the switch, and then a cable for every other device. However if you want wireless you'll need a router.
    I definitely don't need wireless I will be living in box for 3 years :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Is there anyway I could find that out prior, or during my stay there? I really have no clue.
    Ask the IT department, or read up on any rules/restrictions on your rooms. If its present, it should be mentioned.

Deleted
    your uni probably has a tech / help desk where you could ask i guess, probably best way to find out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank's for the responses guy's, I will get onto the IT department as soon as. Anyone have any recommendations for a good and cheap-ish switch?

Thank's for the responses guy's, I will get onto the IT department as soon as. Anyone have any recommendations for a good and cheap-ish switch?
    How many ports do you want? Do you want gigabit?
    The one you linked in your first post looks decent, but it doesn't support gigabit.

This one has gigabit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    The one you linked in your first post looks decent, but it doesn't support gigabit.

Since your going to have it on your dorm room, remember to get one that doesn't have a fan =) Would suck having to listen to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post

3-4 ports is the most I will need PS3, PC, 360.

And I have no idea Gigabit is so I don't think it is necessary. w/e it is.

Deleted
    Its 1024 megabit. (or just 1000 for simplicity)
    Most older switches/routers will have 100Mbps.

(1000 Mbps = 1Gbps)

Personally I would get it =)
    Always nice when your transferring files between your devices.

Probably not necessary, unless you plan on transferring large files over the switch constantly, and both computers have gigabit ports.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    Personally I would get it =)
    Always nice when your transferring files between your devices.
    Well as mentioned above the main reason I want it is to split internet between PC, 360, and PS3 not really transferring between then other than the occasional transfer between PC and PS3.

It may or may not work, it depends on if they have port security set up. Contact the school's IT staff. Even if it DOES work, they ought to put an additional drop in if it is a multi-user environment.

Deleted
    Well as mentioned above the main reason I want it is to split internet between PC, 360, and PS3 not really transferring between then other than the occasional transfer between PC and PS3.
    Keep in mind that if you use a switch, you will not have 'your own' network. Anything you share will likely accessible by other people.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-09-10 at 09:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Keep in mind that if you use a switch, you will not have 'your own' network. Anything you share will likely accessible by other people.
    Well like I said I basically wont be sharing it for anything, Just using it for the internet.