10+ Year Old Account
    In the manga, Goku recognizes the name Red Ribbon Army, but not Dr. Gero.

Saying he was part of the Red Ribbon Army was probably just to give him some back story. Toriyama probably figured it would be odd if there was just suddenly a mad scientist who wanted to make cyborgs/androids specifically to take down Goku, and the Red Ribbon Army did have androids, so he probably decided that would be an easy way to explain where this random scientist came from and why he hates Goku.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CursedEmbrace View Post
    I never watched much of the original Dragonball (and what I did watch I wasn't super keen on).
    If it was because of the comedic style, I'd recommend watching just after the Red Ribbon Arc. After that, it's the Tien arc and two Piccolo arcs before the original ends and it becomes DBZ. Those final three arcs are mostly fighting similar to DBZ, although it's still mostly striking instead of who has the biggest Ki attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    btw another thing for super man v goku

at least goku fights villains in his own league or higher.

Deleted
    I watched it yday night out of boredom. It never occured to me back in the day how much of this was in the series and during the fights:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    If it was because of the comedic style, I'd recommend watching just after the Red Ribbon Arc. After that, it's the Tien arc and two Piccolo arcs before the original ends and it becomes DBZ. Those final three arcs are mostly fighting similar to DBZ, although it's still mostly striking instead of who has the biggest Ki attack.
    I've never watched DB completely either, I got stuck somewhere in the Red Ribbon arc as well. It's a shame though, because after skimming through some of the later episodes it seems like it's very much like early DBZ. I do have to watch entire DB someday.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    btw another thing for super man v goku

at least goku fights villains in his own league or higher.
    Well, Superman does too actually. I think Darkseid is a lot stronger than Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Well, Superman does too actually. I think Darkseid is a lot stronger than Superman.
    I think it depends on the writers. A lot of their fights begin with Darkseid winning, then Supes goes all out and "wins" (one can never really win against Darkseid - unless one is Batman).

I mean, look at these 2 fights:

There's this one where he can baerly survive against him until he goes rage mode/absorbs some more sun rays, and then barely "defeats" him with Supergirl's help.

Then there's this one where SUperman gets trucked, at first. Then after Batman does some awesome stuff (because, y'know, he's Batman), Superman comes out of nowhere and hands Darkseid his shit on a silver platter.

I don't think we can ever decide which of the 2 is greater. It depends on what's going on in the story, who Superman has on his side, etc. For the most part, I think they're evenly matched, but there are times when the odds bend heavily to one side or the other. I think, like I said, it just comes down to the writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    I think it depends on the writers. A lot of their fights begin with Darkseid winning, then Supes goes all out and "wins" (one can never really win against Darkseid - unless one is Batman).

I mean, look at these 2 fights:

There's this one where he can baerly survive against him until he goes rage mode/absorbs some more sun rays, and then barely "defeats" him with Supergirl's help.

Then there's this one where SUperman gets trucked, at first. Then after Batman does some awesome stuff (because, y'know, he's Batman), Superman comes out of nowhere and hands Darkseid his shit on a silver platter.

I don't think we can ever decide which of the 2 is greater. It depends on what's going on in the story, who Superman has on his side, etc. For the most part, I think they're evenly matched, but there are times when the odds bend heavily to one side or the other. I think, like I said, it just comes down to the writers.
    I'm aware of both of those fights, and a lot more. It does depend on the writers, but for the most part, Darkseid has been shown to outclass Superman in the comics.

Darkseid's kind of an odd character. The writers have stated before that the Fourth World is not changed by continuity shifts, like from Pre 52 to New 52, but Darkseid appears to change. If the writers aren't trolling, then it means Darkseid is. But that's an entirely different rant about how I think Darkseid is a cosmic entity and holds back in every fight ever, except when he kicked the Anti-Monitor's ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    ok so he fights one guy..... in unlimited, he fights darkseid/brainiac combo and EASILY beats him....

then again i only associate green lantern with Samuel L Jackson.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-09-06 at 03:15 AM.

ok so he fights one guy..... in unlimited, he fights darkseid/brainiac combo and EASILY beats him....

then again i only associate green lantern with Samuel L Jackson.
    Well, in Superman TAS, Superman got his ass beat by Darkseid in like their first 3 fights. And that's the same continuity as JL:U, so that's more of just a continuation of their previous fights, so it's kind of fitting for Superman to win, especially since he's older and more experienced.

Like Shadow-Cleave mentioned, it really depends on who is writing which one of them is stronger, but personally, I think Darkseid wins a majority of their fights, and his wins are a bit more convincing than Superman's.

Also, Darkseid is pretty fucking difficult to kill, considering The Spectre pretty much disintegrated him and Darkseid just laughed after reforming.

There's also been villains that put up a much tougher fight than Darkseid that Superman has had to deal with before. Superboy Prime was an evil bat shit crazy version of Superman that took a ridiculous amount of resources to take down. And the Anti-Monitor was downright scary, going around destroying universes and shit. Doomsday killed Superman.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2013-09-06 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CursedEmbrace View Post
    Isn't it never bet on dbz? I've seen a lot of DB characters fight and only Future Trunks and Gill (dat hitbox) seem to do well, the rest just waste their time charging up for their big attacks and getting hit in the face.
    the joke is always bet on dbz

dbz actually provide some of the biggest upsets when they decide to spam mexibeams or actually use supers instead of charging for the entire match

Quote Originally Posted by Acry View Post
    the joke is always bet on dbz

dbz actually provide some of the biggest upsets when they decide to spam mexibeams or actually use supers instead of charging for the entire match
    Tbh Salty has the worst kind of Mugen version when it comes to DBZ characters

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    Tbh Salty has the worst kind of Mugen version when it comes to DBZ characters
    indeed
    goku nex is pretty good though

10+ Year Old Account

say i'm a big dbz fan and haven't seen a good chunk of the later half of movies (past broly and have seen broly returns + bio broly)
    which ones are worth watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Acry View Post
    say i'm a big dbz fan and haven't seen a good chunk of the later half of movies (past broly and have seen broly returns + bio broly)
    which ones are worth watching?
    Let's see what we've got here... you mentioned the Broly movies but not Bojack Unbound, which is sandwiched between the original Broly film and its sequels (in terms of release dates anyway)... I kind of found that pretty bland myself, not as bad or as formulaic as Super Android 13 though.

Fusion Reborn was pretty enjoyable, also contains a joke that recurs between myself and my partner, so I'd def give that a watch.

I watched Wrath of the Dragon on Laurcus' (and perhaps others) recommendations and it was pretty solid.

No idea what the Path to Power is... I'm sure someone else will have an opinion on it, same for Battle of Gods which is only in Japanese (whether that's an issue for you or not, I don't know). Those are pretty much my abridged thoughts on all the movies released after the Broly ones anyway.

Path of power is basically Dragon Ball up to the Red Ribbon saga all squished into a little over an hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    def watch fusion reborn

wrath of the dragon is also good

find any way to view or read battle of the gods, it is very good

- - - Updated - - -

son goku and his friends return is also alright, but a bland movie. Mostly just comedy.

soooo i remember tfs saying early sept is when the episode will be out, as in 37. we are getting close to what is commonly known as mid september, i expect it within 3 days. PLENTY OF TIME TO PREPARE OUR SELVES IN THE TIME CHAMBER GUYS!

10+ Year Old Account
    soooo i remember tfs saying early sept is when the episode will be out, as in 37. we are getting close to what is commonly known as mid september, i expect it within 3 days. PLENTY OF TIME TO PREPARE OUR SELVES IN THE TIME CHAMBER GUYS!
    Here is their most recent tweet.

Episode 37 WILL be out within the next week. Sorry for the delay guys!

It's up now on their site. Quite funny

10+ Year Old Account
    Chiaotzu's dead! And he really let himself go... and he's an android... that's not Chiaotzu.