The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    How much money do they make from Patreon?
    Quite a lot I believe, they have 2,327 Patreons when I just checked, and if every one of those only has the lowest tier that's $4,654 a month, But chances are there's at least a few higher tiers.
    Last edited by GKLeatherCraft; 2020-02-10 at 11:31 AM.

Does anyone know how I can watch the Black saga? Crunchyroll is the pits, and none of the other streaming services I sub to offer Dragonball Super.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Does anyone know how I can watch the Black saga? Crunchyroll is the pits, and none of the other streaming services I sub to offer Dragonball Super.
    Funimation maybe? May I also suggest VRV?

10+ Year Old Account
    WCO Stream or Kissanime

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Funimation maybe?
    This is what I went with. Thanks for the suggestions.

This is what I went with. Thanks for the suggestions.
    You're welcome man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    WCO Stream or Kissanime
    Kissanime's illegal bro. D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Kissanime's illegal bro. D:
    AFAIK, Illegal to upload, not illegal to stream. It's only illegal to download or upload copyrighted material, with streaming no files are being transferred.

so has there just been no new dragon ball stuff besides the manga?

any reason why? i thought super did well
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no official reason, just lots of speculation. One popular theory going around is that we were set to have a continuation of the anime but covid has impacted the plans for that. But to be clear, nobody knows for certain whether or not the anime will continue and nobody knows the reason for any delays/cancellations if any.

There are no official announcements like @AndyF1069 said, but the good news is, quarterly financial reports continue to list Dragon Ball as TOEI's most profitable franchise, and there's also the promo anime, Super Dragon Ball Heroes. They're only 9 minute episodes every few months, but better than nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    There's no official reason, just lots of speculation. One popular theory going around is that we were set to have a continuation of the anime but covid has impacted the plans for that. But to be clear, nobody knows for certain whether or not the anime will continue and nobody knows the reason for any delays/cancellations if any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    so has there just been no new dragon ball stuff besides the manga?

any reason why? i thought super did well
    I don't see Dragon Ball coming back any time soon. First the TV timeslot and production spot was taken over by Gegege No Kitarou and now there is Digimon Adventure: which was on hiatus for two month after the three first episodes when Corona fucked over production. Digimon will be atleast 26 episodes, more likely 50+ like they usually are, so Dragon Ball won't take over the TV timeslot or Toei production pipeline for an another year atleast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    There are no official announcements like @AndyF1069 said, but the good news is, quarterly financial reports continue to list Dragon Ball as TOEI's most profitable franchise, and there's also the promo anime, Super Dragon Ball Heroes. They're only 9 minute episodes every few months, but better than nothing.
    Honestly, I wonder if the major success is the very reason there hasn't been more anime. Why spend money developing a new series when your franchise is already bringing in sick bank?

Anyone check out the latest manga chapter? It was up today. Certainly took a turn.

I think Moro's new form looks kinda dumb. I liked his goat-y self way better. Now he just looks like any other Toriyama fan-character design. It was completely insane how he gets his new form though.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if the major success is the very reason there hasn't been more anime. Why spend money developing a new series when your franchise is already bringing in sick bank?

Anyone check out the latest manga chapter? It was up today. Certainly took a turn.

I think Moro's new form looks kinda dumb. I liked his goat-y self way better. Now he just looks like any other Toriyama fan-character design. It was completely insane how he gets his new form though.
    True, perhaps, but you have to believe the merchandise sales and overall sales being so high up is from the anime's resurgence, introduction and re-introduction from brand new characters and series like Goku Black, Jiren, Hit, new transformations, etc. Super became very good after stumbling out the gates. So sales are good and all now, but it won't sustain over long haul if fans go like too many years without new material, toys, collectibles, etc. of new characters. It certainly won't drop because the franchise is still as popular as ever, we're still getting new video games, and the fans are very loyal, but it would only boost sales if they came out with a new series or movie with new characters to make action figures/merchandise for.

Ooh, interesting, I'll have to check that out (new Manga chapter!)

- - - Updated - - -

Ooooh, I see what you mean.

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Moro

Yeah, it does essentially look like Hit with horns now, but you know, in a weird way, I like it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Moro's original design too, with the anthropomorphic goat look, but on that note, it reminds me of Cell. His first form was very insect-like, then every time he transformed, he became more humanoid-looking.

Also, damn, Vegeta's new technique is a game changer. In theory, he could take on fused warriors and systemically beat them down through forced spirit fissure. It's an interesting technique to introduce because fused warriors always seemed so unbeatable before, and their only vulnerabilities were the time restraints. Now? Any warrior who can master this incredibly difficult technique can fight a fused warrior like Gogeta or Vegito on even ground instead of just being wiped on the floor. I like it!
    Last edited by Kyphael; 2020-06-18 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    True, perhaps, but you have to believe the merchandise sales and overall sales being so high up is from the anime's resurgence, introduction and re-introduction from brand new characters and series like Goku Black, Jiren, Hit, new transformations, etc. Super became very good after stumbling out the gates. So sales are good and all now, but it won't sustain over long haul if fans go like too many years without new material, toys, collectibles, etc. of new characters. It certainly won't drop because the franchise is still as popular as ever, we're still getting new video games, and the fans are very loyal, but it would only boost sales if they came out with a new series or movie with new characters to make action figures/merchandise for.
    For sure, but since Dragon Ball is hot right now even without a series, the mindset may be "Why pay for the production of a new series when it's doing so well without one?"

It's pure speculation, but I remembering reading about how some shows in the west (I think it was Agents of SHIELD, can't recall off-hand) had their budget slashed for the second season after the first season did really well, the thinking being that "if the show is doing well, people will watch even if the quality goes down, so we'll make even more money if we don't spend as much on the show".

Once sales on DB stuff starts to drop again, that would be the time to start putting the show out to re-ignite interest. Again, just pure speculation. I'm sure whatever their plans are, everything's been slowed down because of the pandemic situation.

For sure, but since Dragon Ball is hot right now even without a series, the mindset may be "Why pay for the production of a new series when it's doing so well without one?"

It's pure speculation, but I remembering reading about how some shows in the west (I think it was Agents of SHIELD, can't recall off-hand) had their budget slashed for the second season after the first season did really well, the thinking being that "if the show is doing well, people will watch even if the quality goes down, so we'll make even more money if we don't spend as much on the show".

Once sales on DB stuff starts to drop again, that would be the time to start putting the show out to re-ignite interest. Again, just pure speculation. I'm sure whatever their plans are, everything's been slowed down because of the pandemic situation.
    No yeah, that makes sense. Maximize profits by spending the least possible. I forget that's how the business minds works, being a consumer and artist, I'm always of the mind of creating more. Exciting new stories, and characters, not how to make most money off the smallest amount of effort possible. At least there's the promo anime which I may be the only fan of, I believe, most people hate how short the episodes are and how long it takes to even get a one (we're getting a new one June 30th btw) but I just love the stuff with Fu, Towa, and reviving characters like Bojack, Golden Cooler, Cunber, the Makaioshin in general and Turles and bringing their powers to be a challenge for current level Goku/Vegeta.

In fact it irked me when they just glossed over the entire Mechikabura story. Some of my favorite characters are more obscure like Salsa, Shrum, Robelu, Demigra, etc, but promo anime is better than no Dragon Ball at all, and the manga has been very good too with Planet Eater Moro.

you know what just hit me?
    shenlong can't bring back anyone who died a natural death right?
    so how the heck did he revive super kami guru?
    (I know most likely toriyama just forgot about his own rules)

Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    you know what just hit me?
    shenlong can't bring back anyone who died a natural death right?
    so how the heck did he revive super kami guru?
    (I know most likely toriyama just forgot about his own rules)
    something something, the despari suffered by namek kami from the genocide killed it before (its official from some interview)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a gigantic logic stretch, but the given reason is that Frieza killing his people caused Guru to die essentially of a broken heart and wouldn't have happened under normal circumstances.

There's a million plot holes in DB and this is just one of them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    It's a gigantic logic stretch, but the given reason is that Frieza killing his people caused Guru to die essentially of a broken heart and wouldn't have happened under normal circumstances.

There's a million plot holes in DB and this is just one of them
    It's not a plot hole if it's literally explained in the anime... Freeza killing everyone cause Guru to die earlier than he was supposed to, so when everyone that died because of Freeza he was also brought back to life to live for how long he had left (which was a few hours anyway).

10+ Year Old Account
    I literally said that in my post

Doesn't stop it from being a plot hole because a broken heart is still natural and the wish was to revive all those killed by Frieza and his forces. It's a stretch, but it's also not a big deal either.