Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Biggest upgrade ever! What's yours?

Hey all, I use to play on a dell xps 400 that was filled with pictures and crap that my parents had on there. I had to run wow on all low, it ran ok but I had lag quite often. Also, it took me a day and a half to patch wow up completely, internet in the middle of no where, Louisiana sucks. Now I have moved to california, nice town, got great fast internet, a new computer, and just got wow installed and downloaded out of red into yellow in 5 minutes. And not only that, I can play wow while its on yellow patching with video settings on medium with no lag at all! It's awesome, this upgrade has been huge for me and I love it. And my new computer isn't even a gaming one, it's a brand new hp 2011 pavilion with 8 gigs ram and a 1.5 terrabyte hard drive. It has a decent graphics card but still runs like a charm! Heck, I purchased 3 steam games a couple days ago, and they all finished downloading in an hour! If this was my old computer, I'd probably still be downloading the first one! =p. Just felt like sharing this to the community, and I'll ask a question. Have you guys ever got a major upgrade like this? This community is always awesome and I always love it, thanks guys!

Went from something from like 2000 or earlier to Alienware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow man, that is epic! I'm sure that was like amazing!

totally thought this was gonna be about gear upgrades. Gonna go ahead and assume it still is cause I immediately though about that stupid freaking neck piece from hard mode 10man iron council in uldar ilvl 226 that I never freaking replaced until I got the neck from heroic blood queen >< ggaaaaahhh at bad rolls >< 226 -> 277(?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat similar situation. Using an old POS system that was pre-built by Dell about 6 1/2 years ago. Didn't even have a duo core in it at the time, the graphics card was horrible and raiding 25s was almost impossible on some fights (like Sindragosa) because I would drop down to 2 FPS.

Now, I have a self-built machine. i5-2500k with a P67 Deluxe and an MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III as my main parts. It runs anything I could even dream of at max settings and has little problems with games. My only real problem with the computer is the lack of an SSD, which I plan to rectify shortly once I save up a little more over my next few paychecks. The worst part of my system is my HDD. Everything else is 7.7-7.9 WEI score.

I'm kind of sad I didn't wait and build it later, but I can deal with that. Buying a new CPU and Mobo are nothing compared to building the entire system from scratch. Especially if you have great parts for the rest of the build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no, this is a computer upgrade thread! Just read the post I had lol! But that's cool! Glad you got your 277!

---------- Post added 2011-09-11 at 12:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    Somewhat similar situation. Using an old POS system that was pre-built by Dell about 6 1/2 years ago. Didn't even have a duo core in it at the time, the graphics card was horrible and raiding 25s was almost impossible on some fights (like Sindragosa) because I would drop down to 2 FPS.

Now, I have a self-built machine. i5-2500k with a P67 Deluxe and an MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III as my main parts. It runs anything I could even dream of at max settings and has little problems with games. My only real problem with the computer is the lack of an SSD, which I plan to rectify shortly once I save up a little more over my next few paychecks. The worst part of my system is my HDD. Everything else is 7.7-7.9 WEI score.

I'm kind of sad I didn't wait and build it later, but I can deal with that. Buying a new CPU and Mobo are nothing compared to building the entire system from scratch. Especially if you have great parts for the rest of the build.
    That's awesome man! I felt the same way, I could barely raid 25 mans with my old piece of junk but this is just amazing!

Biggest upgrade ever for computers?

Old computer (circa 2006):
    AMD Athlon X2 4600+
    MSI K9N SLI Platinum AM2 motherboard
    Stock Cooler
    2GB DDR2-800
    500GB 7200 RPM HDD
    1680x1050 Samsung SyncMaster 204BW
    BFG GeForce 9600 GT OC
    ThermalTake 430W PSU
    ThermalTake Tsunami Dream case

New Computer (October 2010 build):
    Intel Core i7 950 OC'd to 4GHz
    ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard
    CM Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
    6GB DDR3 1600MHz
    60GB OCZ Vertex 2 (Win7 + 1 Game) + 300GB WD VelociRaptor + various terabytes of storage picked up
    ACER S211HLbd LED 1920x1080 Monitor
    XFX HD6870 Black Edition
    Corsair HX750 750W PSU
    CM Storm Sniper case.

Hello night, meet Day.

Then there was the time I went from AOL to 90KB/sec ADSL. Again, night and day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome man! I loled at the Hello night, meet day thing!

10+ Year Old Account
    just 2 days ago i went from my old computer which was a laptop i have had for 5 years which had a duel core processor, chip-set for graphics, 4 gigs of ram and 250g hard drive,but my friend gave me his old computer which has a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, a Nvidia Geforce GTX 470, 6gigs of ram and a TB hard drive. I had to play Wow,CSS ,and TF2 on literally all low setting and in raid would only get like 7-10 fps in a 10 man raid. The difference is so huge, only bad thing with this new computer is i went on a spree of buying games and now my wallet hurts >.<

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    My largest upgrade was going from an AMD Duron system with I think 128MB PC133 memory and a 20GB HDD to an Asus M51 with an Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, and Geforce 9500 vid card. I use to play Diablo 2 on that damn Duron, thing was a champ.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I went from a 2gb xp system with some awesome in 2006 evga card to an i2500k, 8gb ram, msi gtx 560 ti twin frozr, and an ssd. I couldn't believe how much better everything was.

upgrading pentium 4 541HT(!) to i7 2600k
    and radeon x800xl to gtx 460 ;3

Biggest upgrade would be the first time I got a computer with a dedicated gpu lmao...
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Mine would have to be my SSDs. Went from like 100mbps to 1.2Gbps. I dont know what load times are anymore

Switching my old socket 775 E8400 CPU with 4 GB of DDR2 out for my new i7 2600K (running at 4.4 GHz) with 16 GB DDR3 and a SSD.

The speed increase was amazing.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

10+ Year Old Account
    Upgrading 7800GT 256RAM with a 6970 2GB RAM. Previous computer wasn't that old, but I had the card for like 6 years (still was able to play WoW/SC II at high :P)

Dell Inspiron 6000 w/Pentium M (single core) @1.6Ghz + Radeon Mobility x300 +1 GB of RAM to an HP Pavillion w/ Core 2 quad Q9400 @2.4 Ghz +9800 GT + 8 GB of RAM. My new rig (in my signature) was a decent upgrade, but not as much as upgrading from my ancient laptop (the laptop was from 2005, I bought the HP in 2009, and built my new PC in January)

Deleted
    i went from a reallllllyyyyyyyy old PC, like i mean someone gave it away for free in the local paper, thats how bad it was, but i managed to run wow on it just about back in vanilla, think i had to put new Ram in it, but i went from that to my current PC which cost ~£600 and can run most current games on max, was a big upgrade from a pc that could barely play wow on lowest settings :P also one of those old CRT monitors to a Benq 22"

Going from this,

AMD something,
    nVidia 8400M G
    2 GB RAM

Poor thing had trouble not overheating in WoW at minimum settings near the end.

Then I bought this (though some parts such as particular choice of case came later),

intel i5 2500k,
    GTX 560 ti (alternatively GTX 470 if I want to put that back in),
    16 GB RAM.
    All housed in the Level 10 GT (previously Ace Ecco 420).

I'm sorry to say, but that case looks horrible :P

Then again, I am a guy who likes symetry, so that case is like everything I do NOT want in a case.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."