Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    I'm sorry to say, but that case looks horrible :P
    Mileage will vary.

Beyond a very small scope of things, I dropped "not liking things" -- I intend to recognize what's good design or not. I'll keep my personal flavors for when I need to personally construct an item that I intend to be perfect for myself, which is something I'd love to do, but expect to never be lazy enough to get on with.

Microsoft to Mac. Oh that felt so good!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    16 GB RAM.
    Damn friend, 16 gigs of RAM? What on earth are you going to use all that RAM for?

Don't get me wrong, that upgrade must've turned your world upside down and that rig will be able to handle any game you can throw at it for a long time, but SIXTEEN gigs of RAM.

How much did it cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by Varix View Post
    Damn friend, 16 gigs of RAM? What on earth are you going to use all that RAM for?

Don't get me wrong, that upgrade must've turned your world upside down and that rig will be able to handle any game you can throw at it for a long time, but SIXTEEN gigs of RAM.

How much did it cost you?
    16 GB of RAM is mostly accidental. I originally had Corsair Vengeance RAM, which as you might know will collide with some of the more massive air-coolers... such as the one I recently bought: The NH-D14. So I bought two sticks of RAM that would fit underneath: Corsair Vengeance LP (they don't have the sizable heatsinks). Turns out the original RAM fit right in the outermost slots with the cooler turned facing upper exhaust. Since I really don't have anywhere else to put the RAM, I just keep it there. Hence 16 GB RAM.

Worst part? I'm hardly even breaking 4GB under high use.

Anyway, the rig has seen a lot of different parts since I bought it, so the machine originally cost 8.5k NOK including monitor, but with the new case, cooler and powersupply (I used TX 650 v2, but now use an AX 850) it's easily over 12k NOK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    16 GB of RAM is mostly accidental. I originally had Corsair Vengeance RAM, which as you might know will collide with some of the more massive air-coolers... such as the one I recently bought: The NH-D14. So I bought two sticks of RAM that would fit underneath: Corsair Vengeance LP (they don't have the sizable heatsinks). Turns out the original RAM fit right in the outermost slots with the cooler turned facing upper exhaust. Since I really don't have anywhere else to put the RAM, I just keep it there. Hence 16 GB RAM.

Worst part? I'm hardly even breaking 4GB under high use.

Anyway, the rig has seen a lot of different parts since I bought it, so the machine originally cost 8.5k NOK including monitor, but with the new case, cooler and powersupply (I used TX 650 v2, but now use an AX 850) it's easily over 12k NOK.
    Can't say I am too familiar with the Corsair RAM, although the mental image of you shoving RAM into your PC because "Where else was I gonna put it?" made me chuckle.

Honestly though 12k NOK isn't too bad of a deal considering what's in it, which is also why I insist on helping out my friends when they're buying new PC's, so they don't go off paying 20k DKK for some silly Alienware laptop (Yes, that has happened). Regardless, let's hope the full 16GB RAM is put to good use someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Varix View Post
    Certain games, like All Points Bulletin can actually use up to 7-8 gigs of RAM if you let it.
    I got 16 GB aswell, and I frequently am near 8-10k RAM used.

I could have gotten just 8 GB, as that is plenty awell, but seeing another 8 GB only costed me 35euros more I went with 16 GB to be somwhat future proof.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

What I mean is... isn't it really silly to remove RAM if you don't have another computer needing them? :P
    And this machine could have been a lot cheaper to be fair, if only I had bought what's in it now... now. As opposed to replacing parts over time for mostly no reason but working on it.

My old computer had around 1 fps in raids, even with every setting on low.

Got a new one and now I never drop below 30 with every setting on high+
    Last edited by Rakhal; 2011-09-11 at 11:34 AM. Reason: I fail at english

Quote Originally Posted by Given View Post
    Microsoft to Mac. Oh that felt so good!
    Hell yeah!!

On a Mac you're hitting your keybindings much faster and with A LOT fewer miss clicks!
    ... and on mac, wow got a built-in screen recorder!

10+ Year Old Account
    I came here to post my biggest ear upgrade. So here it comes:

Level 80 Warrior. Alt. Tank.
    -From Level 80 blue (200 item level) to Level 80 epic (264). Hands.

POS AMD dual core with a 4600 to a i7 2600k (Noctua D14 cooler), 8 gig of ram, Z68 Pro and a GTX 580 SOC, got 2 120gig SDD drives as well and a 2tb Samsung. Also managed to squeeze in a 27" LED LCD as well.

Put all that hardware in a HAF 932 Advanced case.

Massive upgrade in my books.
    Last edited by Addiena; 2011-09-11 at 11:48 AM.

Deleted
    Acer Aspire 7520 or something
    AMD Turion x64 2 GHz
    Nvidia 8400m G (Horrible, I finished Crysis SP on that.)

to

AMD Phenom II X2 560 @ 3.6 GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 5770

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    My largest upgrade was going from an AMD Duron system with I think 128MB PC133 memory and a 20GB HDD to an Asus M51 with an Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, and Geforce 9500 vid card. I use to play Diablo 2 on that damn Duron, thing was a champ.
    Yeah, Duron was awesome for its price. I had both an 800MHz and 1300MHz, top of its line.

I upgraded last year from Athlon XP 2600+ to X4 945, and 7900GT to GTS250. Among other crap.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xphilip View Post
    Hell yeah!!

On a Mac you're hitting your keybindings much faster and with A LOT fewer miss clicks!
    ... and on mac, wow got a built-in screen recorder!
    Wtf are you talking about? I'm all in on the built in fraps, but wth at the other statement, buy a decent mouse and keyboard for your windows machine, the things you mentioned have nothing to do with the operating system of the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Wtf are you talking about? I'm all in on the built in fraps, but wth at the other statement, buy a decent mouse and keyboard for your windows machine, the things you mentioned have nothing to do with the operating system of the computer.
    yes new keyboard and good mouse will fix any missclick or binding issues.. and by good keyboard and mouse I'm talking about something that costs more than 20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Ye... and tbh ... I would rather be GAMING on a 2000€ windows computer than my MacBook

And didn't knew that got a windows ed. got a built-in fraps thing - apparently my windows gaming friends don't know about that!

Going from my:
    5½ year old Asus G1Sn-A1 laptop
    - Screen: 15.4” 1680X1050 display
    - Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn T8100 2.1 GHz
    - Graphics: GeForce 9500M GS 512MB DDR2
    - Hard Drive: 320GB SATA 5400 rpm
    - RAM: 4GB RAM DDR2 667 MHz SODIMM 2G+2G

To my own build:
    - Screen: 27" 1920X1080 Monitor + 24" 1680X1050 Monitor
    - Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
    - Processor: Intel 15-2500k 4.4 Ghz (OC) (Noctua NH-D14 fan)
    - Graphics: EVGA gtx 580 superclocked 1536 MB, 384 bit GDDR5
    - Hard Drive: 2TB SATA-600 5400 rpm (gonna stick in a 120 SSD or two soon'ish)
    - RAM: 8GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Vengeance 4G+4G
    - Case: Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced big tower

going from 10-25 fps in raids to 80-120, nom nom (and then all the other games i can finally play)
    Last edited by Smeeh; 2011-09-11 at 12:19 PM.

Take the PC vs Mac pisstakes elsewhere.
    And yes, this goes for both sides. I'm interested in computer upgrades, not the offtopic discussion of the moment.

@Smeesh: Snap, that sounds like a really big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going from a Machintosh SE/30 to a IBM P2.

Worth noting is that the Apple cost $6500 back in 89, wile the PC I bought cost a 10th a few years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

from a singlecore 3 Ghz/ 7800 gtx to sixcore 3.2Ghz/ 480 gtx
    but from xp to 7 was not an upgrade...it was just a change