Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbo14 View Post
    Well for one im using the i7 920 which is a 2.4Ghz to 2.8Ghz change and if you read the link i posted then that would make sense. and my voltages are at 1v idle 1.4v max load so definitely not something i am doing wrong.
    With that much V going through the 920 (provided you have the D0 stepping) you could clock that thing all the way up to 4 - 4,2GHz provided you have the cooling.
    Basically at that 1,4V you're hammering through it, is likely a cause for overheating as even with heavy duty cooling, mine still rises to 76 degrees C on 1,3875V.

Get a better cooler with a new application of Thermal Paste, should solve your issues without problem.
    And make sure to clean your case of dust once in a while, don't use dustbusters etc though.
    Preferably a compressed air/nitrogen can, if not a standard compressor will do provided it's not 30 Bar to blow a hole through your mobo.

Ya, i have seen it be overclocked to 4Ghz however that requires some extreme watercooling or massive heatsink. And i double checked my voltages and apparently its a lot lower than i thought. usually around .96V idle and 1.2v max load. i plan to upgrade to a SSD soon so i might plan on buying a self contained water cooler as well. And ya i clean my PC every few months with an air compressor.

Alright so i just reseated my stock heatsink about 7 times using different strategies for applying it and rechecking to make sure it spread all across the connection between the cpu and heatsink and it didn't change at all. I'm going to say that the stock cooler i have just sucks terribly and this evercool thermal compound probably isn't the best stuff i could get. I even moved my Video card down to the bottom of the case since it also runs a little hot and that hot air might not help the cooling process but it didn't change the temperature either. So once i get a SSD and a liquid cooling system ill buy some arctic 5 since i see lots of people using it with good reviews. Blah