Deleted

Shadow Priest Reforging on Alysrazor Heroic

Heya!

I didn't find any threads that gave me an answer to my question. If there are threads already discussing my topic please redirect me there!

So, I've been doing some thinking, my guild is soon going to start progressing on Alysrazor HC. And I'm going up top with our fire mage.

thing is: Fire mages disregard haste while flying due to the buff. So logically it should be the same for us priests right? Or am I completely out in the blue here?

I haven't really paid any attention on normal mode, since the boss rolled over like a good little birdie anyway.

TLDR: Is there any gain in reforging all your gear to mastery/crit for Alysrazor heroic?

Well your dots will always tick faster with more haste. Due to the amount of haste each stack of the buff gives it could be said that reforging into Mastery will end up in your benefit. Crit is really a no-go since if you do the encounter correct and you keep stacking the buff till 25 in a proper fashion the crit you gain from the end buff will exceed the little bits of crit you get from reforging.

Long story short, yes, reforging to mastery will give you a damage boost on alysrazor. In reality though, its far more critical to have good flyers that don't miss rings, if you have that then the damage pretty much comes naturally anyway.

When I first started doing the encounter I would reforge to Mastery, but after trying it out with my normal setup I decided it wasn't really worth the hassle.

Without reforging I've ranked with 82.8k and have hit 90k+ after the first burn phase, but wasn't able to rank because we killed it too fast (didn't finish the fight during a burn)

It's more important that you never miss a ring, and you time your AA's correctly so that you get full use out of them and always have it off cooldown for the start of a burn.

Yeah, thats true, I usually time my first AA at around 10 stacks, then one as soon as I hit 25 stacks. That means it will be off cd again during the power up on the ground. Thats the best usage I've found so far.

Mages dont scale with haste like priests do, which is why, atleast in my understanding, mages are not ideal flyers, while priests are. I think boomkins are good too, rogues are fine as well. but yeah, we gain from haste pretty much forever... at 25 stacks you may start pushing MF's under the GCD, and some theory is to use mindsear at that point, some debate on that though.

In any case, the amount of time that you spend bumping the GCD cap is relatively minor compared to the rest of the fight. Might get a modest DPS bump, but its a real PITA, and chances are, if its the difference between killing and wiping, your gonna be in for a long grind.

Mages are the best flyers by far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucapa View Post
    Mages are the best flyers by far.
    way to not read the OP.

To the other replies:

Seems to me that I won't be reforging to full mastery then, since it doesn't seem necessary. Thanks for the replies tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Leaftwig View Post
    way to not read the OP.

To the other replies:

Seems to me that I won't be reforging to full mastery then, since it doesn't seem necessary. Thanks for the replies tho!
    That was in response to the post above me. Maybe i should have quoted him to avoid misunderstandings.