Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    We are currently 4/7 with Alysrazor and Baelroc left (+Raggy of course).
    We just spent ~13 wipes on Alysrazor, with best try being 7 minutes and around 65% at that point.

Our setup is Prot warrior (me)+prot paladin; resto shaman, resto druid, holy pala;
    DPSers are: lock, hunter (+gorrila Pummel pet), mage, priest, oomkin (this one was actually absent on those 13 wipes and we went with a DK)

We are way too low on interrupts and as such the lock was made affli and went flying but that solution seems to be suboptimal... we probably should send the mage as fire upstairs but he does have that 24 s interrupt which is coming in handy... we're thinking of making spriest fly instead since he aint interrupting at all

So my question(s) would be:
    1) is it possible to make it work without a melee at all? or should we make the oomkin specc feral kitty for that fight?
    2) our 7-minute wipe after "full power" was to what some people described as 3 initiates (ofc not blazing talon clawshapers - got confused there ) - I am more prone to believe that one group of dpsers failed to notice one lone add which led to them being 3 when another 2 spawned... so I just wanted to confirm - are the initiates spawning in constant time periods?
    3) during p1 the resto shaman is mainly interrupting one side but we found her to be really necessary during the nasty AoE Blazing Buffet phase... would it be possible to 2 heal this by rDruid/hPaly with some help in the form of oomkin/feral tranquility on Blazing Buffet 1, Divine Hymn on BB2 + healing rain etc.? we did 2-heal Ryolith and Majordomo... so unsure about this one though...
    Last edited by mmocf21fce8ff9; 2011-09-12 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morghie View Post
    We just spent ~13 wipes on Alysrazor, with best try being 7 minutes and around 65% at that point.

Our setup is Prot warrior (me)+prot paladin; resto shaman, resto druid, holy pala;
    DPSers are: lock, hunter (+gorrila Pummel pet), mage, priest, oomkin (this one was actually absent on those 13 wipes and we went with a DK)

We are way too low on interrupts and as such the lock was made affli and went flying but that solution seems to be suboptimal... we probably should send the mage as fire upstairs but he does have that 24 s interrupt which is coming in handy... we're thinking of making spriest fly instead since he aint interrupting at all

1) is it possible to make it work without a melee at all? or should we make the oomkin specc feral kitty for that fight?
    2) our 7-minute wipe after "full power" was to what some people described as "3 blazing talon clawshapers" - I am more prone to believe that one group of dpsers failed to notice one lone add which led to them being 3 when another 2 spawned... so I just wanted to confirm - are the clawshapers spawning in constant time periods?
    3) during p1 the resto shaman is mainly interrupting one side but we found her to be really necessary during the nasty AoE Blazing Buffet phase... would it be possible to 2 heal this by rDruid/hPaly with some help in the form of oomkin/feral tranquility on Blazing Buffet 1, Divine Hymn on BB2 + healing rain etc.? we did 2-heal Ryolith and Majordomo... so unsure about this one though...
    1) It's possible, however slightly harder. Keep in mind that your tanks can also interupt the caster adds with focus macros. Also, your shaman should spec elemental/enhancement, but more to that for point 3.
    2) I assume you mean the initiates, not the clawshapers as they spawn in the burn phase. They spawn exactly as in the first P1. You just have less time for the firestorms to hit.
    3) Should two-heal this for sure. It's not hard with a holy paladin/restoration druid. The holy paladin should use his radiance and then mainly focus on the tanks while the druid keeps the raid up. Keep in mind that tree form + tranquility is always ready in this phase. If needed, use the cooldowns of your DPS but they shouldn't be needed. Use Divine Guardian (prot paladin) towards the end of the phase so that it's still on while she knocks you back.

---------- Post added 2011-09-12 at 02:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdream View Post
    Fantastic, well ok, for a start would you mind giving me a brief overview of your strategy on killing him? Alternatively, a kill video could work.

Right now, we've managed to get fuse pretty much under control but can't seem to get turning him quite under control and that, of course, causes a missed volcano and thus crazy stacks.

Here are some questions

What kind of stacks are acceptable?
    How do you handle turning the bastard?
    How do you handle him activating a volcano all the way on the other side of the room?
    What do you do with the oozes and fragments?

Many thanks for your time.
    1) If you mean superheated stacks, 0. You should absolutely aim for a transition before the 5 minute mark.
    2) Have 2 DPS assigned to each leg. Have only one of them call the directions with either "left", "right" or "straight". If straight is called, the DPS focus their respective leg, else they just follow the orders of left/right. The driver should plan ahead since he only changes his direction once every 5 seconds. So be sure to call your directions out early and don't expect him to walk straight 1 second after calling it.
    3) It happens extremely rarely anymore unless there is no other volcano to activate. Try avoiding walking over non-active volcanoes. Don't make it a priority though. It's not bad if you walk over non-active volcanoes on the way to an active one. Just don't aim for the non-active ones.
    4) This relies very much on your setup. If you could post it, I'll give you some details on it.

Deleted

2) our 7-minute wipe after "full power" was to what some people described as "3 blazing talon clawshapers" - I am more prone to believe that one group of dpsers failed to notice one lone add which led to them being 3 when another 2 spawned... so I just wanted to confirm - are the clawshapers spawning in constant time periods?
    3) during p1 the resto shaman is mainly interrupting one side but we found her to be really necessary during the nasty AoE Blazing Buffet phase... would it be possible to 2 heal this by rDruid/hPaly with some help in the form of oomkin/feral tranquility on
    Blazing Buffet 1, Divine Hymn on BB2 + healing rain etc.? we did 2-heal Ryolith and Majordomo... so unsure about this one though...
    First of all assign one of your healers to dps, keep the mage up and lock down and let her use the pet for interrupts.
    Our guild have 1 frost dk + 1 lock at one side for interrupt and the other side hunter, lock, spriest and rshammy.
    There is 2 adds up in burnphase and tanks can handle the interrupts on them, if not let the shaman throw one in every now and then
    3. Yes.

---------- Post added 2011-09-12 at 12:15 AM ----------

Fantastic, well ok, for a start would you mind giving me a brief overview of your strategy on killing him? Alternatively, a kill video could work.

Right now, we've managed to get fuse pretty much under control but can't seem to get turning him quite under control and that, of course, causes a missed volcano and thus crazy stacks.

Here are some questions

What kind of stacks are acceptable?
    How do you handle turning the bastard?
    How do you handle him activating a volcano all the way on the other side of the room?
    What do you do with the oozes and fragments?

Many thanks for your time.
    Tanks: Feral Druid
    Healers: Shaman, priest.
    Dpses: Fury warr, frost dk for legs
    hunter, lock, spriests on the adds with hunter MDing.
    Ur leg dpses just need to sync the turning, make one of them talk all the time and dont let the ranged attack a leg if not needed because turning can get wild. Also he turns more during stomp cast than usual.
    Stacks, not very sure just keep them as low as possible, by not missin volcanos etc. We turn him by the fury warrior telling what leg to go on because he is a good driver simply
    Well thats pure RNG, raid wide CDs or help from the ranged dps.
    The frost dk spec chillblains and slow obsidians as often as possible and hunter MDs the fragments to the tank and the ranged aoe them down.
    IF there is anything more feel free to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Ashvael View Post
    1) If you mean superheated stacks, 0. You should absolutely aim for a transition before the 5 minute mark.
    2) Have 2 DPS assigned to each leg. Have only one of them call the directions with either "left", "right" or "straight". If straight is called, the DPS focus their respective leg, else they just follow the orders of left/right. The driver should plan ahead since he only changes his direction once every 5 seconds. So be sure to call your directions out early and don't expect him to walk straight 1 second after calling it.
    3) It happens extremely rarely anymore unless there is no other volcano to activate. Try avoiding walking over non-active volcanoes. Don't make it a priority though. It's not bad if you walk over non-active volcanoes on the way to an active one. Just don't aim for the non-active ones.
    4) This relies very much on your setup. If you could post it, I'll give you some details on it.
    I mean the stacking one from volcanoes, I'm trying to judge how effective our healers are being and when they're simply not trying hard enough. At what point would you estimate that healing gets out of control?

As for raid set up, generally goes as follows:

Prot Warrior

Resto druid
    Holy Paladin

Ret Paladin
    Frost/Unholy DK
    2x Arcane Mages
    Fire Mage
    Shadow Priest
    MM Hunter

We're lacking decent dps right now, hence the trip mages.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Somewhat hard to say about the volcano stacks. I'd say 10 +/- is already too much, possibly less. I really can't give you a good answer for that one because I'm usually the one steering and usually don't look at the stacks a lot.

Well, one thing which kinda sucks about your setup is: no knockback. This would've made dealing with oozes way easier.

Well, first for fragments. Have only your shadow priest and fire mage on them. It's possible that your shadow priest could kill them on his own within the 30 second timeframe but play it safe unless you know he can do it on his own.
    One thing that's crucial about killing them in time without wasting DPS is that your tank collects them even while he is still tanking a spark. For a warrior this would look like your holy paladin should heal with Righteous Fury on somewhere close to the spark position. When the fragments spawn, the warrior collects them of the paladin. A few aura ticks won't hurt the paladin too much unless he's taking magma flows or something at the same time.

One arcane mage + both melee dps + MM hunter should then only be on the legs.

Now, for the oozes. I think you should mostly ignore them in terms of DPS. You should however slow them and possibly have the mage spread DoTs on them if there are a lot on the same spot. If they're close to the boss and your frost DK has specced the slow, howling blast them once or twice. Lay hunter traps between the boss and the oozes (the ones following him as he'll run into the other ones either way). Blast wave them when doing turns for a better slow. Stuff like this.
    But quite honestly, I haven't done the fight without a knockback yet so I'm not sure if there will be too many fuses this way. Maybe you'll need one dedicated DPS on them. For example, while no spark is active your 7th DPS (the arcane mage who is only on the spark and not full time boss and neither fragments) could do them and ignore them while a spark is active.
    Maybe someone who's played it without a knockback can provide you a better answer.
    Last edited by Ashvael; 2011-09-12 at 12:41 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    We wrote a guide for 10man Ragnaros Heroic, the thread for it can be found here;

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Written-Guide

No visual/audio guide yet unfortunately until we get a decent fraps footage of it.

Have your shaman go dps if possible. They can solo interrupt a side. Then have mage + spriest fly, this way you'll kill it for sure in the 2nd burnout. We get alys to about 30% after the first burnout using spriest mage flyers.

Lock + hunter on the othewr side from shammy should be able to get all those interrupts.

1) Can be done, yes
    2)The first firestorm after burnout comes much faster than all the previous ones. This will lead to more adds being up than intended and interrupts will be missed. To solve this, have the spriest stay on the ground until after the first firestorm. He should be on the right hand side as you enter Alysrazor's room. He can go back up into the air again after the first firestorm.
    3) Absolutely. Personally, we do this for burnout phases: Tranq first, then AM. Personals next, and a rallying cry near the end for the burst. You can do the same but with a prot paladin raidwall, you should be fine. Boomkin tranq as well and you're laughing.

---------- Post added 2011-09-12 at 01:11 AM ----------

I mean the stacking one from volcanoes, I'm trying to judge how effective our healers are being and when they're simply not trying hard enough. At what point would you estimate that healing gets out of control?

As for raid set up, generally goes as follows:

Prot Warrior

Resto druid
    Holy Paladin

Ret Paladin
    Frost/Unholy DK
    2x Arcane Mages
    Fire Mage
    Shadow Priest
    MM Hunter

We're lacking decent dps right now, hence the trip mages.
    You have a fire mage. I see your problem already.

No seriously, get him to go arcane. No need to be fire on Rhyo.

Your comp is a damn good one for rhyo though. Ill try to outline a strat for you guys.

DK + Ret + Arcane mage on legs full time. Have 1 person calling it out. Make sure this person knows the fundamentals of driving, as in he should be aware that if there are 2 left and 1 right of rhyo he should head right so that the singulare activates, then loop around to face the two and wait for one to activate. Etc. There are a few nuances associated with driving him but you'll learn them over time.

7 stacks + is highly dangerous. We call for AM every time we go above 5 for stomps, you should too.

SPriest + hunter can get shards by themselves fairly easily. 2 arcane mages can do sparks just fine.

Assign ranged a leg, because every now and then they will switch and fuck driving up. Making ranged even on legs will counteract this. An arcane mage on either side and hunter right/spriest left.

Don't be afraid t stomp a few inactives. Do not go out of your way to do so but don't go all the way around them and delay hitting an active either. Plough through em( as long as there arent like.....5 in a row).

Ignore the Spark that spawns around 4 minutes. At that point you want to see what % boss is at and work out when to lust and burn. Make sure dps sticks to their legs at this point, don't make him walk into lava (not that weve ever done that....ahem). If he's under 50% lust and transition him, getting him to transition before superheated is key. 1 stomp with superheated is bad enough, 2 is lunacy.

When dps gets better save lust for slighty later. We now lust at about 4:30 or 30%.

For P2, resto druid is WAY OP. Get him to blow tree of life and go nuts. Aura mastery the seond stomp and use personals for the first. You have 3 iceblocks so that's a ton of avoided stomp damage, as long as they cancel it quick and get back to dpsing. Roll every CD you have, rallying cry should be up for 2nd stomp as well. As a healer if you have mana left after that phase theres something wrong! Blow it all, if everyone is alive you wont get a third stomp.

Deleted
    Now Beth HC is nerfed, which is easier and why
    Baleroc, Beth'thilac or Alysrazor

this is our setup

Prot warrior, fury OS
    Bear druid, resto OS

Holy paladin
    Holy paladin/spriest alt with doubtful gear
    Resto shaman, shitty elemental OS
    Resto druid

Retri paladin, prot OS
    Arcane mage
    Demo/affliction lock
    Frost DK
    Assassination rogue
    Marksman hunter
    Last edited by mmocc2b371ec35; 2011-09-12 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaro View Post

this is our setup

Prot warrior, fury OS
    Bear druid, resto OS

Holy paladin
    Holy paladin/spriest alt with doubtful gear
    Resto shaman, shitty elemental OS
    Resto druid

Retri paladin, prot OS
    Arcane mage
    Destro/affliction lock
    Frost DK
    Assassination rogue
    Marksman hunter
    Beth, we had a similar comp and it took 9 attempts total. Hunter on broodlings, DK can assist whenever possible (AMS is amazing for soaking broodlings).

Send 2 up first time (ret + rogue prolly) and 1 up 2nd and third times. Lust around 40-50% in p2, roll cooldowns after it ends. The tanks are gonna taunt probably 3 times with 1 minute intervals between their taunts, plan CD's accordingly. Barkskin every taunt, etc.

1st time we hit p2 we killed it. Just keep p1 clean however possible and it's GG.

Do most guilds do rhyolith heroic with 2 healers and 1 tank?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cysf66 View Post
    Do most guilds do rhyolith heroic with 2 healers and 1 tank?
    yes they do, why? to reach superheated before time runs out

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    You have a fire mage. I see your problem already.

No seriously, get him to go arcane. No need to be fire on Rhyo.

Your comp is a damn good one for rhyo though. Ill try to outline a strat for you guys.

DK + Ret + Arcane mage on legs full time. Have 1 person calling it out. Make sure this person knows the fundamentals of driving, as in he should be aware that if there are 2 left and 1 right of rhyo he should head right so that the singulare activates, then loop around to face the two and wait for one to activate. Etc. There are a few nuances associated with driving him but you'll learn them over time.

7 stacks + is highly dangerous. We call for AM every time we go above 5 for stomps, you should too.

SPriest + hunter can get shards by themselves fairly easily. 2 arcane mages can do sparks just fine.

Assign ranged a leg, because every now and then they will switch and fuck driving up. Making ranged even on legs will counteract this. An arcane mage on either side and hunter right/spriest left.

Don't be afraid t stomp a few inactives. Do not go out of your way to do so but don't go all the way around them and delay hitting an active either. Plough through em( as long as there arent like.....5 in a row).

Ignore the Spark that spawns around 4 minutes. At that point you want to see what % boss is at and work out when to lust and burn. Make sure dps sticks to their legs at this point, don't make him walk into lava (not that weve ever done that....ahem). If he's under 50% lust and transition him, getting him to transition before superheated is key. 1 stomp with superheated is bad enough, 2 is lunacy.

When dps gets better save lust for slighty later. We now lust at about 4:30 or 30%.

For P2, resto druid is WAY OP. Get him to blow tree of life and go nuts. Aura mastery the seond stomp and use personals for the first. You have 3 iceblocks so that's a ton of avoided stomp damage, as long as they cancel it quick and get back to dpsing. Roll every CD you have, rallying cry should be up for 2nd stomp as well. As a healer if you have mana left after that phase theres something wrong! Blow it all, if everyone is alive you wont get a third stomp.
    Many thanks for this, as for our fire mage, I believe he thought that combustion and blast wave for adds coupled with the fact that he brought the 5% spell crit buff that we didn't have would make up for the lack of 1 spam.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zheryn View Post
    Thanks, nice video, especially impressive that you sit so much in scorpion to kill him even before 2nd seed phase. I feel like that's just taking an unneccessary risk but as long as you kill it, very clean kill

However, I'm asking specifically about the 2 healer tactic (and not the 3 healer tactic that was used in your video) and orb soaking. It should be possible to heal through the orb phase even if one healer is soaking and therefor doesn't have the concentration buff (only one healer with 100% healing and one healer with normal healing in that phase)?
    Sure, it should be possible to heal through the orbs with 1 of your healers soaking an orb but there's also no reason to do it unless you only have 1 ranged dps for some reason. The simplest way to handle the orbs is to have your tank + 1 melee soak one of the orbs so that you only have to worry about jumps on 1 of the orbs, and its really no damage to worry about on a tank. Makes that whole phase much easier to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaro View Post
    Alysrazor is the easiest fight mechanically at least. If your group can not stand in bad stuff its a kill. But there are a lot of opportunities to stand in bad stuff and if your group doesn't have the best raid awareness it can be a struggle. Its hard to judge how easy it is for Beth at this point because its clearly easier now but since I learned it when it was harder I can't really compare starting from scratch. You have a pretty good comp for it though, so whether its easier or harder than Baleroc probably depends on your healers and how well they can pick up what to do on Baleroc. Baleroc was a challenge for us, but we overgeared and brute forced our way through normal without really learning how to do it right so our healers struggled to figure it out at first.

Many thanks for this, as for our fire mage, I believe he thought that combustion and blast wave for adds coupled with the fact that he brought the 5% spell crit buff that we didn't have would make up for the lack of 1 spam.
    Fire was good on that fight when Combustion ignored the armor on the legs but that was changed a few weeks back. Fire is good on fights with adds that live for a while (like several fights in T11 but none in T12) so you can get a good ignite and combustion but that doesn't apply to this fight. Arcane's AoE is actually pretty strong on adds with lesser health that aren't up for a while (on heroic Rag for instance I am usually not too far behind our DKs). Combined with the better single target burst for the bigger adds and when you need to turn quickly or burn through the last armor Arcane is really the way to go.

Hey there, this is one really amazing thread :3

I do have a few questions regarding HC Rhyolith, as we spent one night wiping on him (getting him into p2 about 5 times in 1hr30).

We were going to go with 1 tank, 2 healers and 7 dps as everyone suggested, but we decided to bring 2 tanks instead, in order to gather the fragments in one place so the boomkin and the demo lock could burn them down as fast as possible. Our setup was:

Bear tank
    Prot warr (on fragments)

HPaladin
    RShaman

Boomkin (on fragments + oozes)
    Demo lock (on fragments + spark)
    Arcane mage (feet + spark)
    MM hunter/Elemental Shaman (feet + spark)
    MM hunter (feet + spark - driver)
    Frost DK (feet)

We had 2 dps on each foot at all times, except for when Spark spawned, when all ranged dps burnt it down as fast as possible. We had the warrior grab the fragments and bring them to the center of the battlefield, where I would have my shrooms ready and the demo lock would destroy the adds. After that, the lock focused on Sparks, and I dotted every single ooze I could find, along with the feet and Typhoon'd on CD.

Since we used two tanks, we made it to phase 2 with 2 stacks of Superheated every time, essentially wiping after the second stomp (first stomp normally killed 2-4 people ._.). So my question is: how could we go about not using a second tank? Should we theoretically be capable of downing the Spark before the next frafments spawn, thus only requiring 1 tank?

Thanks in advance.

It's unlikely that the spark is dead before that wave of fragments spawns. I've given the same advice a few posts above. Have the paladin heal with Righteous Fury on close to the Spark tank. Bear walks in, does a swipe/thrash and moves out again. The paladin doesn't take too much damage of the aura considering glyphed Divine Protection should be ready always for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Klive View Post
    Hey there, this is one really amazing thread :3

I do have a few questions regarding HC Rhyolith, as we spent one night wiping on him (getting him into p2 about 5 times in 1hr30).

We were going to go with 1 tank, 2 healers and 7 dps as everyone suggested, but we decided to bring 2 tanks instead, in order to gather the fragments in one place so the boomkin and the demo lock could burn them down as fast as possible. Our setup was:

Bear tank
    Prot warr (on fragments)

HPaladin
    RShaman

Boomkin (on fragments + oozes)
    Demo lock (on fragments + spark)
    Arcane mage (feet + spark)
    MM hunter/Elemental Shaman (feet + spark)
    MM hunter (feet + spark - driver)
    Frost DK (feet)

We had 2 dps on each foot at all times, except for when Spark spawned, when all ranged dps burnt it down as fast as possible. We had the warrior grab the fragments and bring them to the center of the battlefield, where I would have my shrooms ready and the demo lock would destroy the adds. After that, the lock focused on Sparks, and I dotted every single ooze I could find, along with the feet and Typhoon'd on CD.

Since we used two tanks, we made it to phase 2 with 2 stacks of Superheated every time, essentially wiping after the second stomp (first stomp normally killed 2-4 people ._.). So my question is: how could we go about not using a second tank? Should we theoretically be capable of downing the Spark before the next frafments spawn, thus only requiring 1 tank?

Thanks in advance.
    It's not a big deal if the Spark is still alive when the Fragments spawn. It has a mechanic that the longer it lives the more Damage it Does AND Takes. So even if it is still alive with 20% HP when sparks spawn, it will die pretty quickly. So don't worry about the Spark being alive, as long as everyone is aware that it will be moving around and they should stay out of it's way. Warrior Tanks are really good on this fight for the Mobility and you can put Vigilance on a Paladin Healer using Righteous Fury.

Drop the second tank and you should easily get to Phase 2 without superheated.

I dont understand tbh why people go with 2 healers ... I killed heroic rhyolith relatively recently, on my alt, Cursetouch. We used 3 healers, we hit superheated as soon as p2 started (like 1 or 2 seconds after p2 hit).
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3204&e=3537
    quick cap: I was AFFLICTION there coz cba demo lol , dotted up everything I could (legs mainly) and soc-spammed the fragments. Me + boomkin were on them mainly, rest of the raid on legs, arcane mage switched on spark and we burned it down as soon as it spawned. We completely ignored 4th spark, killed fragments pack and pushed the boss. We used 3 healers aswell (And I forgot to use doomguard like pro)
    Last edited by Makarena; 2011-09-12 at 02:34 PM.

Deleted
    Going 2 healers 1 tank may help you getting to phase 2 faster but it is not needed at all if your DPS is good. 2 healers 1 tank also allows far less mistakes and damage taken than 3 healers. Personally we use 3 healers 2 tanks (and have always used) and kill time is under 5 mins.