The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Tank gearing - is there something I missed?

I currently have two tanks. One is a prot warrior, the other is a feral druid. On the warrior, I gear for mastery first, then dodge and parry. That is, I reforge off hit and expertise and gem as hard as I can for mastery. On my druid, I do the same except with agility and I reforge to dodge.

But lately, I've been seeing more and more tanks reforging to hit or expertise. Pretty much every pug raid I do on my alts will have at least one and one of our trial tanks in my guild reforged to hit.

So... either things have changed or they're just bad? I'm inclined to see them as bad. The DK tank that geared for hit and expertise was much harder to heal, even on normal Magmaw, than most DK tanks I have seen. I inspected him and he only had one piece of pvp gear (shoulders) and two dps trinkets, tank gear all reforged to hit and expertise. Just a bad player, right?

Threat was buffed from 300% to 500%. Threat also wasn't an issue for any decent tank before the buff. So you're right, any tank you see gearing/gemming/reforging for hit/expertise is either misinformed or a bad player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reforging for hit/expertise was a no-no before the buff. No tank needs hit or expertise, not even us DK's.

Stick with mastery < parry < dodge. Don't go for any other stats...the dps/threat gain isn't worth the trade-off in mitigation and avoidance.

DKs will have some hit/expertise because a missed death strike is costly.
    Other tanks are bad.
    I run in like the "poorly" itemized gear (hit or exp + dodge/parry/mastery) and dps trinkets on my warrior if I'm just doing like za/zg or easy raids

Deleted
    Depends on the tank's doctrine, really.

Hit/Exp = easier life for the tank, tougher job for the healer. Some tanks want as easy a ride as possible.

Personally, I'm all about the Mastery/Parry/Dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    DKs will have some hit/expertise because a missed death strike is costly.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...naros/advanced

I'd say they don't.
    The only Expertise they'll have it from tank items that just have it regardless, but you'll reforge it down as best you can, as seen above.

Deleted
    I play Prot Warrior. I have a Hit/Exp set for Hc 5mans and raid trash simply because it goes a little faster.

For raiding FL normal there are some fights where Exp/Hit are useful - Lord Rhyo and Alysrazor come to mind specifically in FL, and Maloriak and Nef add duty in BWD. But generally, and for Hc raids in particular, they are not the stats to favour.

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...naros/advanced

I'd say they don't.
    The only Expertise they'll have it from tank items that just have it regardless, but you'll reforge it down as best you can, as seen above.
    22/22 expertise is pretty high.
    Also, I never said to reforge to it

Quote Originally Posted by Grungit View Post
    Depends on the tank's doctrine, really.

Hit/Exp = easier life for the tank, tougher job for the healer. Some tanks want as easy a ride as possible.

Personally, I'm all about the Mastery/Parry/Dodge.
    That makes the tanks regearing for Hit/Exp even worse.

If they don't know any better, that's one thing. If they're purposefully stressing out the healers that much more, that's just dumb.