Thread: Monitor

Deleted

Monitor

I'm looking for a new LED monitor and I was wondering if any of you had some recommendations. My budget is quite tight: 130 euros. What I had in mind was the BenQ G2222HDL (1920 x 1080, 21.5) which costs about 117 euros in my country but I'm not sure if I'll be satisfied with the picture quality, maybe someone has it and can share his or her opinion.

Another question that I have, when watching 1080p movies on a 21.5 inch monitor will I see black borders on top and on the bottom of the screen? Will I need to get a 23 inch one if the answer is yes? Thanks.

The size of the monitor doesn't affect whether or not you get black borders.
    Black borders occur when the aspect ratio of the movie doesn't match the aspect ratio of the monitor.
    A 1080p monitor has a 16:9 aspect ratio. A lot of movies have an even wider aspect ratio, and so will have black borders on every monitor.
    Note that when a movie claims to be "1080p" it's not always 1920x1080... it might be 1920x824 (which is common).. which is still usually called 1080p, but with a 1:2.35 aspect ratio. Similarly for "720p" movies with 1:2.35 aspect ratio, you'd have a 1280x588 resolution, and it's still called 720p.
    There are only 2 ways to avoid black borders on the super widescreen movies:
    1) Get a 1:2.35 aspect ratio monitor. Not even sure if they make these but it would be really weird to use as a computer monitor anyways.
    2) Configure your player to "stretch" the image instead of adding black borders.... it would really make the picture suck though.
    So... just put up with the black borders lol, that's the best option.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.