Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation Dark Intent issues

Dear Shadowpriests:

I do not understand how DI works.

Here's the scenario:

In a 10 man BH i did 27k+ dps with 3 stacks of DI.

However last week on a Baleroc 25 man, same gear, same stats, I did 24k dps with only 1 stack of DI.

My question is this:

How close do I need to be to the warlock that gives me DI to get the 3 stacks?

I have NEVER gotten 3 stacks in a 25 man and I always get DI so there has to be a problem right?

I'm sorry if this thread seems newbish but I honestly do not know how the proc works and I am desperately wanting to know because I am losing out on 5k+ dps in 25 mans.

Thank you

P.S. This is NOT a troll post so please don't ask

When you or the linked target gains a critical periodic damage or healing effect, the other gains increased periodic damage and healing lasting for 7 sec. You gain 3%, while the target gains 1%. Stacks up to 3 times. Dark Intent lasts for 30 min.

This means that when you have a periodic critical strike, you gain 3% increased periodic damage and he gains 1%, stacks up 3 times you get 9% and he gets 3%. Now, if the warlock gets a periodic crit effect, the effect is reversed and he gains more benefit from it than you. It there is a range it shouldn't be more than 30 or 40 yards, which you should be standing relatively around the ranged DPS anyways.

The warlock always gets 3 stacks of 3% each. You always get 3 stacks of 1% each.
    Kiyu - TG
    http://gimpedguild.org

h
    ttp://www.justin.tv/kiyuulive - Warlock PoV

Quote Originally Posted by TheRez View Post
    When you or the linked target gains a critical periodic damage or healing effect, the other gains increased periodic damage and healing lasting for 7 sec. You gain 3%, while the target gains 1%. Stacks up to 3 times. Dark Intent lasts for 30 min.

This means that when you have a periodic critical strike, you gain 3% increased periodic damage and he gains 1%, stacks up 3 times you get 9% and he gets 3%. Now, if the warlock gets a periodic crit effect, the effect is reversed and he gains more benefit from it than you.
    I'm really confused now because I thought I was the target, so with 3 stacks, I ALWAYS get 3%. Never thought I could get 9%. Are you sure about that? I'm not attacking you or anything, I'm just perplexed, is there a thread about this somewhere if you do not feel like explaining?

Thanks

---------- Post added 2011-09-13 at 12:07 AM ----------

The issue is, I never get 3 stacks of DI, EVER in a raid.

Could it be that the warlock is destro, casting shadow bolts and not really putting any dots (periodic damage) on the target hence, no stack of di? It may sound crazy but is that THEORETICALLY possible?

---------- Post added 2011-09-13 at 12:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asuza View Post
    The warlock always gets 3 stacks of 3% each. You always get 3 stacks of 1% each.
    I understand that Asuza, the issue I am mainly talking about is that I never get ANY STACKS of DI. I just get the 3% haste. Like I am literally looking at the buff and it doesn't bring out another buff of DI at all in 25 man.

---------- Post added 2011-09-13 at 12:18 AM ----------

Looking at the WoL's (it's private, sorry guys, can't do anything about it) it says I have been given DI by a demonology warlock, does that change anything?
    Last edited by Quillerjr; 2011-09-13 at 12:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That means the warlock isn't critting with his dots. If he is destro or demo he will have a lower up time than affliction will, but he should have a ~80%+ up time regardless. Might want to talk to him about keeping his dots up.

Deleted
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=80398. The range is 30 yards for casting, if we look at the buff http://www.wowhead.com/spell=85767 it shows it has a range of 50000 yards, this means that you should get a benefit from the buff 100% of the time during any encounter. My question is this, are you sure you have never gotten 3 stacks in a 25 man raid? cos this seems pretty damn weird to me.

The poster above me seems to be slightly misinformed. "When you or the linked target gains a critical periodic damage or healing effect, the other gains increased periodic damage and healing lasting for 7 sec. You gain 3%, while the target gains 1%. Stacks up to 3 times. Dark Intent lasts for 30 min."
    This means that the warlocks crits stack the buff to you to 3% or 3 stacks, and your crits stack the buff on the warlock to 3 stacks or 9%.
    Now heres the way I see it, I play warlock so I always make sure my DI goes to a SP so that I can enjoy a 98% uptime on my 3 stacks, now with a warlocks many dots, in any 3 speccs, you should allways see a 100% uptime on your 3 stacks. Now this is all provided that you are within

EDIT: when i said poster above me, i meant the first guy to reply to this thread. it took a while for some reason for my comment to upload.

sorry for double posting...i didn't mean to

This means that when you have a periodic critical strike, you gain 3% increased periodic damage and he gains 1%, stacks up 3 times you get 9% and he gets 3%. Now, if the warlock gets a periodic crit effect, the effect is reversed and he gains more benefit from it than you. It there is a range it shouldn't be more than 30 or 40 yards, which you should be standing relatively around the ranged DPS anyways.
    what you said is just wrong. the non-lock will only ever get 1% stacks up to 3% stacked only from the warlocks crits, never his own. the warlock will gain 3% stacks up to 9% only from the non-warlock's crits. as said above me, range for the effect is 50,000 yards, as observed by getting stacks from someone I'm nowhere near any longer in bgs. If you aren't getting stacks, the lock isn't critting with his dots.

Sorry if this sounds rude but ignore this person, it would be easier to just wipe fresh and re-explain.

When one of you crits the other gets the bonus. 3% for the warlock per stack, 1% for the other person regardless of which "direction" the bonus is triggered. And it only triggers in one direction - the warlock's crits will give the other target the bonus and vice versa. It's not a two way proc for the same crit.

I play demo and my dots are up 100% btw and I ahve as many as an affliction lock, though I do have a lower crit chance on corruption and immolate than an affliction lock does with corruption and unstable affliction. But YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    That means the warlock isn't critting with his dots. If he is destro or demo he will have a lower up time than affliction will, but he should have a ~80%+ up time regardless. Might want to talk to him about keeping his dots up.

Deleted
    Could it be that the warlock is destro, casting shadow bolts and not really putting any dots (periodic damage) on the target hence, no stack of di? It may sound crazy but is that THEORETICALLY possible?
    No. No it is not, a destro lock should not be casting shadowbolts for one, for 2 he uses immolate, BoD and corruption in his rotation and should maintain a 100% uptime on these dots. If this does not maintain stacks on you then he is not doing his rotation correctly.

Looking at the WoL's (it's private, sorry guys, can't do anything about it) it says I have been given DI by a demonology warlock, does that change anything?
    No. This does not change anything, Immolate BoD and corruption should be kept again at a 100% uptime, also hellfire will procc DI.

If the guy was affliction then he would certainly have a 100% uptime on the buff, but for a 0% uptime on the dot suggests that whoever gave you the buff is merely sitting suring a fight either with his thumb up his arse while tugging himself silly looking at your gear or he is merely using direct damage spells. There is one way to test this, if he is doing some dps but is considerably lower than the tank then he may well be using direct damage spells only, if he is doing around 2k dps this is where you should be worried as he has his pet on the boss while thinking dirty thoughts about you and your epix.

i'm looking at the logs for Baleroc 25N and the DI that the demonology warlock gave me had a 92.2 uptime with an amount of 21. But like my ui (power auras) has the DI symbol with a big fat 3 in the middle so it would be so obvious.....yet I never see a 3 on baleroc, just the symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillerjr View Post
    i'm looking at the logs for Baleroc 25N and the DI that the demonology warlock gave me had a 92.2 uptime with an amount of 21. But like my ui (power auras) has the DI symbol with a big fat 3 in the middle so it would be so obvious.....yet I never see a 3 on baleroc, just the symbol.
    you sure power auras is showing you the correct buff? it may be showing u have the 3% haste and not displaying your stacks at all...it's really annoying that both buffs have the same name.

I'm sorry guys, maybe the warlock dies alot, maybe he cancels di mid fight, idk but like, I KNOW when I get 3 stacks, like I just do crazy dps, and my guild is complaining to me that I am not doing as much dps with all my gear and I honestly think this is why. If I can do 27k in 10 man BH with just reg buffs and DI and a hero, I should be doing 30k+ with the same buffs, and I see this on the logs for other shadow priests.

I'm prob just losing my mind but it really bugs me now because It's so obvious when I get 3 stacks of DI as my dps increases exponentially lol. But I don't know, if I did, i really wouldn't be posting would I?

From a warlock we have no specs that do not give up great uptime of 3 stacks. All 3 specs use at least 2 dots and often use a 3rd.

I was wondering that too, but I had an affliction warlock hit the dummies with me and yes it shows the stacks. Now if it shows it correctly on 25 man, I have no idea (as I've said before, i've never seen it). So yea, maybe it could be power auras, maybe not.

I'm interested in what your WoL says he's doing during the Baleroc fight.

if he's spamming Rain of Fire during the first phase for instance- you won't see any procs for that.

perhaps then he shifts to baleroc during phase two.

Another thing to check: how many Buffs does your interface show? I know my tank sometimes losses display because my UI doesn't let me see more than 34 buffs at a time. (for clarification I lose HoTs, not DI).

Here it's simple. Go to your World of Logs report. Pick a boss. Pick yourself from the players pulldown. Go to the Buffs Gained tab. Click the # symbol on the right end of where it says Dark Intent (x number of times with the uptime) and you'll see on a graph how much of the time you had dark intent. Now if you mouse over the green portions below the graph, it will tell you how many stacks you had at any given time.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    Is there a term you have for being shown proof and choosing to dismiss it?
    Starting a Monk Blog; Celestial Fists: http://celestialfists.blogspot.com/
    Called Garrosh as end boss: 10/28/2011

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrin View Post
    I'm interested in what your WoL says he's doing during the Baleroc fight.

if he's spamming Rain of Fire during the first phase for instance- you won't see any procs for that.

perhaps then he shifts to baleroc during phase two.

Another thing to check: how many Buffs does your interface show? I know my tank sometimes losses display because my UI doesn't let me see more than 34 buffs at a time. (for clarification I lose HoTs, not DI).
    why would anyone use RoF in baleroc? O.o and 2nd phase?!?!

This aside, I have only skimmed the thread, but to be perfectly honest it just sounds like either one of two things.

A. your making a mistake with your power aura/getting confused with the buff (which doesnt seem so)

B. your warlock has terrible dot uptime. All lock specs should have no problem maintaining 3 stacks of DI on baleroc, unless you have some really strange tactic where for some reason your warlock doesnt really do anything...

That is incorrect, you don't both get it, only the other, and lock always gets 3%, target always gets 1%
    Quote Originally Posted by Histidine View Post
    WoW is great.
    Not sure what game people are playing; I love the way things are.
    What bosses will be in the Deathwing Raid?
    Quote Originally Posted by MauroDiogo View Post
    Leg 1, Leg 2, Hind Legs is a duo boss fight, Wings, Tail, Head and last Heroic mode only boss is his Chin. Totally optional and only for those hardcore enough. It's jaw dropping!

...you're comparing a 10 man BH (where shadow priests dominate due to aoe) to a 25 man Baelroc (where you're probably assigned to soaking a crystal, thus not attacking for 6s and potentially letting dots drop). Your actual dps numbers are irrelevant since the fights are so different. As for the DI uptime/actual benefit gained, I think you're either just misunderstanding how the buff works or the warlock in the 25 man was just absolutely terrible.

We really can't give you a definitive answer unless you give us logs.