Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Priest] Blizzard's Class Feedback - Healing Edition

Following suite with the Shadow version of the thread, shall we post our feedback sheets and discuss them?

What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Both.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

All of the above. Main focus in PvE is raiding.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Arena. I would do RBGs if I could find groups though. I have not done Arena this season.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Attonemnt healing not reaching players due to a large hit box (Rangaros). Inner WIll/ Focus duration change was the biggest QoL change since removing the buff reagent via glyphing. We do not require anything, off the top of my head.

What makes playing your class more fun?

Fast-paced healing. Be it frantic Circle of Healing casting in Burning Crusade, to Renew covering as Holy and PW: Shield covering as Disc in Wrath or heavy reliance on Prayer of Healing in current content. While I think it's nice to have us choose the right spell at the right moment, it's clear that it cannot be balanced by 5 healing classes for this style of raiding. Therefore I think it's better to have the fast reaction "whack-a-mole" healing that Wrath of the Lich King displayed.

What makes playing your class less fun?

Over the other healing classes? From a mechanic point of view, nothing. I wouldn't mind playing any of the healing classes. What keeps me to my Priest is sentimental attachment and the stock of pets, mounts, achievements and titles.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I covered this two questions above, but to re-iterate, I think we need to make a move back to Wrath of the Lich King life and death healing. You went from saying mana would be an issue in beta to it becoming trivial during Tier 11. Regardless of nerfs to Innervate, Mana Tide Totem and increasing the cost of our healing spells.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

I wish Discipline would get a new Mastery. Divine Aegis is only good when there is constant pulsing damage or at least moments of flashing damage (see: Blood-Queen Lana'thel in ICC for the former and Twin Valkyr when they periodically cast their Vortex for short periods of pulsing damage). In a lot of cases, we heal up the raid after a big AoE hit and our Aegis is useless and falls off everyone but the tanks. Holy has a great Mastery, it doesn't force you to stack the Mastery stat (there's a choice between Haste and Mastery for players depending on their healing style, which is great). However, Holy has found itself benched in Firelands due to the lack of a proper raid cooldown. I know you do not consider this to be an issue, but why bring a Holy Priest when a Druid can match (and beat) it for raw throughput and then bring Tree of Life and Tranquilly to the table (and a combat res). It's not been the biggest issue since we have all been able to just spec Discipline, but it's a case of "forcing" some Priests to play a spec they'd rather not just so they can raid with their guild at a competitive level. Shadow is fun, it's my off-spec for Firelands and it's neat. Fair enough by moving the damage from DoTs to cast spells. Shadow is in a great place at the moment.

What spells do you use the least?

As Discpline: Renew, Holy Nova and Divine Hymn. As Holy: Guardian Spirit, Holy Nova and Divine Hymn. As Shadow: Nothing. All relevant damaging spells are used, even Shadow Word: Death pre-execute range.

Additional/ summarised thoughts:

I would like to see a change made to the Hymns given to Priests in Wrath of the Lich King. Divine Hymn has a long cooldown and requires the Priest to stand still for quite a long time. Hymn of Hope doesn't guarentee that much mana return to the actual caster of the spell and again, requires a lot of standing. Shadowfiend can be unreliable at times, is this intentional? Holy needs a raid cooldown. Discipline needs a new Mastery. You don't need to make Critical Strike an attractive stat for healing, we have Spirit / Haste and Mastery to look at on gear (and Intellect when gemming).
    I didn't put as much effort in and I would have liked but I hate my laptop and my computer is dead, so that's as much as I was willing to type. I'm not really in a PvP mood this season, so I left that stuff to you lot.

Afflictid
    85 Worgen Priest
    Indestructible

1. What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE

2. If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Heroic Raids

3. If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

N/A

4. What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Nothing really. Only thing that might be minor but I have thought about is taking Inner Fire and Inner Will off of the GCD.

5. What makes playing your class more fun?

I have always found Priest to be the most fun class. Even though I am a healer, I love shadow as dps. I love having two healing specs that I can change depending on the situation.

6. What makes playing your class less fun?

This is spec specific, but being forced to play a spec that I don't really like (Disc) simply because of Holy's lack of a raid-saving cooldown. Cooldowns have been required in Cata.

7. How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Healing doesn't have a rotation. Healing is about choosing the right spell at the right time.

8. What’s on your wish list for your class?

I want Holy to have an int scaling mana regen talent in place of the spirit one so we aren't pigeonholed into HAVING to have spirit on every piece, especially when you provide extremely limited options for those spirit pieces. *ahem... Firelands.

I also want Holy to have a raid saving cooldown so I can play it in heroic raids without feeling like I am picking a lesser spec.

9. What spells do you use the least?

Holy Nova, Divine Hymn (because it is better for a shadow priest to use it over a healing priest), and Heal.

I only don't use Heal because I outgear it. Has nothing to do with the usefulness of the spell.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love for Holy Nova to be incorporated into one of the healing specs for mass stacking situations.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

I'm extremely frustrated with Blizzard about Holy priests this tier. Pigeonholed into having every piece with spirit, and then limiting the options we have for those pieces. The trinkets this tier are also god awful for Holy priests. Since rep gear and crafteds can not be upgraded with Firestones, our BiS will include 378's and lower. This means we will/do have significantly less spellpower and mana/intel than other healers. We also have no int scaling mana regen talents.

Kelesti
    Blood Elf Priestess
    PvE

Raid Content

Not Applicable

4. What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
    Chakra cooldown persisting on death.

The dynamic "flow" that the class has when moving between spells in a healing environment. You have a full-toolkit, each spell has its place.

"Bring the player not the class" still doesn't apply to healers.

7. How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
    Triage was supposed to make a comeback, in spell selection of keeping people alive. The only relevance we saw to this was "Don't use Flash Heal/Flash of Light/Healing Surge/Regrowth too much". I feel like not enough attention was placed on keeping people at acceptable health thresholds (thanks to the failure of developers in keeping mana actually matter), so slow based triage couldn't work, thus we're back to the dynamic of "full health or dead" that Wrath was.

Spell choice doesn't matter. And I feel this is a major collapse in design philosophy.

Sanctuary to become useful for something more than just padding meters, without being a clone of Healing Rain.

Sanctuary. Heal. Renew to Triage. Holy Nova at all times.

Additional thoughts:
    Make mana matter again, to bring the focus back to Triage. Make mitigation (or mega-throughput) cooldowns suck or all be exceptionally long, so that Aces-in-the-hole have a bigger play than just "use cooldown X at Event B" pre-fight planning.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I hated the terrible PvP priests in that thread, none had any decent high level experience, either in arena or rated bgs. Sad thing is, blizz will most likely listen to them, ruining this class even more.

You can read the 'wish list' posts until your blue in the face and it is easy to get lost in the sea of stupidity on the O-forums. I've however, found the most interesting bits of information from the 'quality of life' comments. (aka the 'little things'). Its been interesting to see what 'little things' are affecting people.

My 2 for that question were "Why 0 out my mana when I swap specs, it just forces me to waste time eating." (it cant be a PVP thing since you cant swap specs when PVPing, and you can't do it in combat... soooo.)

Also... Dispel Magic and Cure Disease.... why 2 spells? Why? Just merge them into 1 like the rest of the defensive dispel/cure spells. I hate having to go "Oh a debuff... its a ..... disease! " /cure disease keybind and "its a.... magic!" /dispel magic keybind

Heres the rest of my ramblings.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...70?page=50#984

Xtyz
    Blood Elf Priest
    Cerebral

PvE

Heroic Raids

N/A

The only thing that has helped the most would be Chakra being a state instead of a buff.

Mainly because of the AoE heals that we have at our disposal.

Having to have Holy and Disc for PvE. And not being able to go Shadow for PvP / Having to go respec to get a shadow spec because of healing set-up.

Its not really a rotation, its about quick thinking and making snap decisions.

Holy to have a Raid wide CD. Disc to be more enjoyable

I also want Holy to have a raid saving cooldown so I can play it in heroic raids without feeling like I am picking a lesser spec.

Holy Nova, DPS Chakra, Heal, Renew and Sanctuary

If Sanctuary was buffed a little, but not to be cloned like a Shaman's healing rain, I would like it to have its healing increased from it and maybe have some Absorbs added with it also. (Maybe Disc should get something like Sanctuary which does the absorbs)

Xtyz copied part of my number 8 answer!

PvE

Raids and Heroic Raids

N/A

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
    Wands are kind of useless to us except for stat sticks, I would love to see more utility out of them. The change to Chakra was nice as well.

The diversity in healing spells for the most part, I rarely ever go Shadow except for maybe 2 times this past year But unlike other healing classes I love how many spells Priests have to heal with.

Having to feel like I need to be Disc to heal well

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
    No real Rotation here just situational spell casting which is fine in Disc, Holy could use some tweaking to situational single target occasions.

To make Holy a little more on Par with Disc in terms of healing, as it stands Disc can do almost as well as Holy in raid healing but Holy seems to be lackluster at best when it comes to single target healing.

Probably Holy Nova and Mana Burn, both are pretty useless in the grand scheme of things, Holy Nova has weak Healing and DPS output and mana burn... well in a PvE sense you don't need it with all the interrupts and stuff.
    I probably could have said a bit more but I was tired and my brain has been filled with other RL things, but for the most part I would love them to do something with some of the bits in Holy, I do love Holy for the most part but I truly do feel like I have to be disc to be effective in our raids (not that I hate Disc, I love it and it's fun to play but I would love to switch it up from time to time and not feel like I'm a burden on my raid group)

Quote Originally Posted by derevka View Post
    Also... Dispel Magic and Cure Disease.... why 2 spells? Why? Just merge them into 1 like the rest of the defensive dispel/cure spells. I hate having to go "Oh a debuff... its a ..... disease! " /cure disease keybind and "its a.... magic!" /dispel magic keybind
    ...Really? You're complaining about having to complete a simple thought process? I am disappoint. =/

And I'd think that combining them into one would create trouble because Dispel Magic is defensive as well as offensive, whereas other healers have to spec into their magic dispel and it's only defensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    ...Really? You're complaining about having to complete a simple thought process? I am disappoint. =/

And I'd think that combining them into one would create trouble because Dispel Magic is defensive as well as offensive, whereas other healers have to spec into their magic dispel and it's only defensive.
    That's the Beauty with "Quality of Life" changes. See a debuff you want to remove, kill it. I mean yeah I'm engrained to my kwybind for it (alt vs shift) modifier for magic/disease. It's just something I find irritating. QoL

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post

You know the definition of quality of life, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Afflictid View Post
    You know the definition of quality of life, right?
    There's a difference between quality of life and simple skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Former HPriest, recently changed to Shadow.

What type of content do you focus on?
    PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE?
    25 man raiding. Hopefully some 25 man heroic raid killing soon.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
    Holy
    Not bringing any useful raid buffs to the table that another priest can bring. 10% reduced physical damage is useful only to tanks and is better bought by a Disc or a RShaman, who are both better tank healers than Holy and far more likely to crit as well.
    Holy's CDs and talents are extremely niche compared to Disc's i.e. Power Infusion, Inner Focus, Power Word Barrier, Divine Aegis against Desperate Prayer, Spirit of Redemption, Guardian Spirit and Lightwell.
    Holy having poor regen due to poor intellect scaling.

Shadow
    RNG of orbs at the immediate start of a fight.
    Too high risk of using SW sub-25% due to high raid damage.
    No CC avaiable to PvE Spriests.
    Shadowform affecting mounts.

Holy - Massive kit of spells to use.
    Shadow - Good DPS in AoE and Single target, Multi-dotting.

Holy - Forced into raid healing. Mastery is useless when there is a Rdruid around. Too few buffs.
    Shadow - RNG on orbs at the start of a fight. No real CC ability. Not being able to execute due to large amounts of raid damage.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?
    Holy - Purely reactive. It's brilliant.
    Shadow - It's reasonably complex, fun to play.

Holy
    Spirit of Redemption - Could be changed to be a sort of Dispersion CD for Holy Priests. So unable to move, but takes 90% less damage, spirit is increased by 300% and mana cost of spells is reduced.

Lightwell - Increase the hitbox and the range. Maybe introduce a beacon graphic to it to make it more noticeable.

Desperate Prayer - Allow to be used on any raid member. Or change to a 3min CD version of CoH centered upon the Priest, but with a bigger range and heals i.e.10-20% of each raid member's health.

Chakra - Buff Serenity's single target healing throughput. Allow the crit buff from casting HW: Serenity to last longer. Possibly add a +healing modifier to the buff as well.

Guardian Spirit - Former glyph reinstated (CD reduced to 1 min if buff not consumed).

Serendipity - Add CoH and PoM to the spells creating charges of Serendipity. Or to randomly (25/50% with 1/2 talent point(s)) create a charge upon crits of CoH and/or PoH.

Surge of Light – Swap places with State of Mind on the Holy Tree. Chakra still required/ The effect created will depend upon which Chakra state is used. Serenity state will retain the original Surge of Light effect, while in Sanctuary state AoE spells (i.e. CoH, PoH) have a chance to proc a free instant cast PoH or bring CoH immediately off CD and be free to cast. Smite state is an instant cast free Smite or Holy Fire.

State of Mind - Swap places with Surge of Light idea. Either: Reduce the CD of all Hymns by 25/33% (to allow Discipline options within tier 2) OR Increase spellpower by X% of spirit or increase spirit by X%.

Inspiration - Retain current effects and also add, while within any Chakra state any direct heals cause the target to also take 3/5% less damage for 5 seconds.

Shadow
    Shadow Orbs - EITHER: Add a CD to proc one shadow orb. OR Add a 100% chance of an orb onto Dispersion or Archangel. OR Increase the chance of getting an orb when casting Mind Flay with 0 DoTs on the target. OR SW: D has an 100% chance of proccing an orb if the target is above 80%. Anything so we are guaranteed an orb 10 seconds into a fight.

SW: D - Backlash to be negated or reduced sub 25%. Above 25% backlash could be increased to compensate. Glyph could be changed to only being cast once sub 25% but with a negated backlash.

CC - Swap Silence with Psychic Horror on the talent tree. Or add a Disorient effect cloud (similar to Smoke Bomb?) upon casting Dispersion. Or expand Shackle Undead to also shackle other classes of creature (Demons and/or Elementals)

Class Wide Spells
    Divine Hymn - Any of the following would be welcome changes; Heal for more, CD reduced, vastly shorter channeling time or ability to cast while on the move.

Hymn of Hope - Not to remove Shadowform (i.e. make Discipline) and to also reduce the channeling time or allow to be cast while on the move.

Leap of Faith - Not to remove Shadowform. Remove the facing target requirement. Reduce CD to 45 seconds, or introduce a glyph to reduce CD.

Renew - Heal for alot more than currently.

Heal/GH - Reduce cast time of Heal/GH

Mind Soothe, Mind Vision, Shackle Undead, Holy Nova, Mind Spike.

While there are some Shadow wants in there, most of what I could think of was Holy based given it's what I've played as for alot longer than Shadow.

Deleted

Mostly PVE.

Raids, heroic difficulty in 10 and 25.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?

I play both dps and heal and having to respec all the time is boring to me, but I guess you don't want to hear about tri-spec (again)...
    But still, it would be fun to go holy sometimes. Or being able to tankheal one fight and raidheal another. I sometimes have to DPS for ONE fight.. Tanking and healing setups are particularly chaning in FL (at least for my guild) and it's an inconvenient to me.
    I really would like to have an interrupt too. If it's a problem for PVP balance, maybe something with a talent point that works only on NPCs (I know we have one, but we really never know if it will work in X situation and most people don't take it).
    I know it's hard to have perfectly balanced specs, but I think that choosing between disc and holy should be a matter of playstyle. Right now, lots of encounters demand strong raid cooldowns that holy can't provide. Not sure if it's the spec or the encounters that cause the problem.

I like having many spells and having to choose between them. I chose to play priest because of that large arsenal.
    Having special things that helps in fights like BnS on Atramedes. Using lifegrip is fun but largely underused (for useful enterprise anyway) IMO.
    I like having unique utility like inspiration talent (that we only share with shamans). Makes me feel that I do something useful maintaining it on the that even if it don't shows on the meters and nobody really sees it.

Being a PoH spam bot. On some fights (Beth'tilac and Rhyolith comes to mind), up to 70% of our heal comes from it and it makes me feel like an arcane mage.
    Also I really liked mana management at the beginning of the expansion. I mostly don't use heal anymore. I think it would be more fun if mana was still an issue and would make a difference between good and exceptional players.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?

I do like it but sometimes the orbs get really frustrating. You just can't rely on them. I know adaptation is a part of being a good player, but for cooldown managing etc, some prevision should be possible.

Well, I'd like to use lightwell as disc (even if it wouldn't be very good). I just like the spell and I think it could be a priest signature spell rather than only a holy-spec one. Maybe that's stupid, IDK.
    AA could be used more IMO. I'd like to see those shiny wings more often.
    A MF that could be channelled while moving would be awesome too ^^.
    Not original, but plz make the Divine Hymn somewhat useful. Right now, it's really lackluster for a chanel on a 8m CD. I'm not asking for a tranquility, but at least something that you won't ask yourself if you should have PoH instead.
    Maybe tuning up the holy words in respective chakra state in holy would make them more useful.
    Maybe that's dumb, but being able to look at logs in-game instead of waiting to see them on World of logs would be great too. Some kind of tool to see what people died from, that would calculate overhealing, absorbs, etc that would replace recount/skada and help raidleaders in real time.
    Holy nova and state of mind should be revisited.
    Having more glyphs that would be good/bad depending on the fight could be cool.

Shackel undead and Mind control (in PVE). It would be fun to use them more. Having these kind of responsabilities, in BOTH healing and dps roles, would make the game more fun to me.
    (+ holy nova, mind sooth and mind vision that are plain useless)

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 06:29 PM ----------

Completely off-topic (and a little bit ashamed) on the tri-spec/recount and LW/MF requests, but one can dream ^^

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 06:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Triage was supposed to make a comeback, in spell selection of keeping people alive. The only relevance we saw to this was "Don't use Flash Heal/Flash of Light/Healing Surge/Regrowth too much". I feel like not enough attention was placed on keeping people at acceptable health thresholds (thanks to the failure of developers in keeping mana actually matter), so slow based triage couldn't work, thus we're back to the dynamic of "full health or dead" that Wrath was.

Spell choice doesn't matter. And I feel this is a major collapse in design philosophy.

[...]

Additional thoughts:
    Make mana matter again, to bring the focus back to Triage. Make mitigation (or mega-throughput) cooldowns suck or all be exceptionally long, so that Aces-in-the-hole have a bigger play than just "use cooldown X at Event B" pre-fight planning.
    Well said.

That's the Beauty with "Quality of Life" changes. See a debuff you want to remove, kill it. I mean yeah I'm engrained to my kwybind for it (alt vs shift) modifier for magic/disease. It's just something I find irritating. QoL
    Actually this would have more problems than it would solve. There are times in PvP that you want to remove a disease without removing a DoT (Vampiric Touch, Unstable Affliction, and Flame Shock come to mind), and forcing them into one spell effectively limits the ability of the Priest to do that independently. For increasing your "quality of life" issue in this case, it would actually be a loss in functional gameplay for others.

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 12:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
    Well said.
    Well, thank you!

True true. well said.

Though, my laziness at times is outweighed by my distaste for PVP. ;-)

True true. well said.

Though, my laziness at times is outweighed by my distaste for PVP. ;-)
    Never underestimate the laziness of mankind. It is effectively what drives ingenuity now, more creative ways to continue to be lazy!

PVP

BG's and RBG's

Shadow survivability when a mellee class gets close, yes we have A LOT OF WAYS to deal with them, but if all is on cooldown, what then? Bubble dun'ne last long enough against a big axe wielding orc

The healing is fantastically versatile and visually fantastic! I love shadow DPS the most because I found it easy when I started playing, fell into the rotation quickly and loved the uniqueness of shadowform.

The stupid ping pong games of nerfs and buffs, the lower geared SPriests suck and the higher geared Spriests are too good.

Shadow is ok, healing was weird at first since mana was a problem, but as gear develops, like WOTLK, that mana problem went Ka-boom.

I dont play PVE enough to comment, PVP wise, maybe our Vampiric embrace up a little more would be lovely.

Mind soothe only

Additional/ summarised thoughts:

Crit strike should be better for healing I recon. I always felt like it should be a part of Disc especially with the penance crits. Maybe Mastery changes, but I cannot list them at the moment, people I talk to seem to HATE Discs mastery with a passion.