Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    to stay on topic - just live with it. I rarely click on lightwell as well - 'cause it's so annoying and on some occasions just impossible to execute :/
    Silly logic. Be a team player. When I was dps and we had a lightwell (played a hunter in 4.0) I made a point to keep clicking it as long as I had health deficit. If you're tunneling so much that you can't pull this off, what's the deal? It's easy.

Raid success is about teamwork, smoothing out little edges that seem unimportant in the short run. Every little bit of effort counts. Solo commandos don't accomplish much even if they 'carry more weight' on dps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most people don't click the lightwell effectively either, tbh. If you have a good raid, with lots of awareness, they'll know to click it when theres heavy tank damage, and medium raid damage.

imo, clicking lightwell when you know you are being healed (chimaroo's feud phase) is just a waste, but when you're a shard target on baleroc then its a good idea.

or maybe I should just spec out of lightwell and get SoR and suicide myself if I go oom ;D

I've found groups that use Lightwell as a pseudo-cooldown (Beth'tilac, Shannox, Seeds on Ragnaros) to have it work quite well when it's used as an audible.

A Priest I know tends to pipe up on Mumble "Lightwell's down on the right" when she drops it, and then the group waits for the specific "cooldown" that we'd use it for, the call gets made, and everyone clicks (instead of popping a Barrier kind of thing).

Considering groups have to line up and already say "Use Tranq here, totem there, Barrier after, follow through with a Paladin thingy" (Divine Guardian) you're already making the calls for audible cooldowns. Adding in Lightwell as a pseudo cooldown isn't really that hard when used in this context.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Maledictum View Post
    My guild is great and all, until we get to the delicate issue that is clicking the lightwell. I have been alternating holy and disc since Cataclysm but lately I'm playing holy more. I love the spec, the spells and lightwell, but my guild doesn't. They simply won't use it. I have the same 3-4 people that *occasionally* use it but that's about it.

Nowadays we are 2 holy priests in our 25 man group and ofc we position our lightwells so we cover most of the group, especially when split. But 99% of the time the lightwells vanish due to being off cd and not because people have used all charges. I even glyphed now, hoping in a wonder, but to no avail.

I told them a million times that it's there, to click on it, that it doesn't bite... Some remember sometimes... And as I said, there's this tank that uses it all the time, the other tank - sometimes, a rogue, myself and a mage. I even got RSA's announcements up when someone uses it, so I can call them out... Right, like anyone cares for my useless spam. I admit, sometimes I forget / don't have time/ my fps drops like crazy and I simply can't get my mouse over it in time, but I use it. Also, as for example, at Majordomo, I spam the crap out of PoH, get yelled at to heal more, and still, my lightwell goes off cd with charges up... And this gets on my nerves in every single raid.

One thing that pissed me off even more: I was in several battlegrounds not long ago and guess what. Yes, the lightwell would go before you could blink. Or in LFD, same thing. (Not all, ofc).

So, how do I teach my guild that lightwell is good?
    really, imo its just impractical in so many situations. when i am focusing on boss abilities, positining, cooldowns, rotation,movement, etc i cant be bothered to run across the field to click a tiny little cereal bowl that is placed in the middle of fuckall nowhere. dont get me wrong, its a good heal, its just impractical.
    imo, a half decent fix would just be to massively extend its use range. allow the entire raid to be able to interact with it, even across the room.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

Well when i played holy pally i loved it, good way to throw a few heals my way without casting any on myself and waste my mana, as a mage i loved it too bc mages dont get healed alot lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hodenkrieg View Post
    really, imo its just impractical in so many situations. when i am focusing on boss abilities, positining, cooldowns, rotation,movement, etc i cant be bothered to run across the field to click a tiny little cereal bowl that is placed in the middle of fuckall nowhere. dont get me wrong, its a good heal, its just impractical.
    imo, a half decent fix would just be to massively extend its use range. allow the entire raid to be able to interact with it, even across the room.
    Or get a Priest that isn't terrible to drop it Close-But-Not-On-Top-Of-Everything (trademark pending). It's got a 20 yard range, so it's not hard to have it just off to the side where it's visible, and definitely grabable. No one's telling you to run all the way to BFE (unless Priest in question is a moron) but it's not as impractical as people make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Considering groups have to line up and already say "Use Tranq here, totem there, Barrier after, follow through with a Paladin thingy" (Divine Guardian) you're already making the calls for audible cooldowns. Adding in Lightwell as a pseudo cooldown isn't really that hard when used in this context.
    I hadn't thought about this, and it's not a bad idea. I'll try to squeeze it between spirit links and the like and see how it goes.

Even though I got pissed and specced out of it today

10+ Year Old Account
    As a former holy priest, I deeply feel your pain. However, as a melee dps, if that thing isn't right next to the boss, I'm not losing dps to go click it. And yes, I'm a shameless recount whore.

Deleted
    I've found groups that use Lightwell as a pseudo-cooldown (Beth'tilac, Shannox, Seeds on Ragnaros) to have it work quite well when it's used as an audible.

A Priest I know tends to pipe up on Mumble "Lightwell's down on the right" when she drops it, and then the group waits for the specific "cooldown" that we'd use it for, the call gets made, and everyone clicks (instead of popping a Barrier kind of thing).

That is a perfect use of Lightwell. And the reason it works is because everyone knows to use it at exactly this time and be ready to use it, giving them easily enough time to adjust and be ready to use it. A brilliant way of using Lightwell.
    Similar to how I feel Healthstones should be used. Popped when told to (by a healer/RL), not randomly.

Popping randomly in an encounter when the raid will be taking damage every now and again and expecting people to use it is wrong (well not entirely, perhaps I should just say it's an inefficient way of using it). Expecting people to use it during phases of random raid damage just seems silly as that is when the healers are busy doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    As a former holy priest, I deeply feel your pain. However, as a melee dps, if that thing isn't right next to the boss, I'm not losing dps to go click it. And yes, I'm a shameless recount whore.
    I saw this condition posted in several replies: I DO put it close to the boss if we stack / stay close etc, NOT on top of him (I usually click him to see hitbox approximately), I'm trying to make it as accessible as possible and I understand when people are simply not in range or if it's a close call and everyone nukes boss I won't start QQing that they don't use it, I'm not absurd.

But when it's under your nose and you refuse to click it to save your butt (I usually call when I'm oom etc), then we have a problem.

Deleted
    I'm one of those tanks who loves clicking the damn thing. Probably a bad thing, but hey! I press ze buttahn!

10+ Year Old Account
    The best thing to do is put it right smack in the middle of the dps so people accidentally click it. Better than it going to waste.

That's exactly how we use it when our priest rolls with Holy, and it works really well. Although, it also has to do some with our raid group is sometimes overly intent on clicking the lightwell. Not sure exactly how we managed to foster that mentality though so I can't help there.

Well, something is true... some ppls just dont like lightwell and they arent going to use it as long their dps isnt affected by spending 1 second or 2 looking around where the lightwell is,, even tho,,, before the channeling fix ( clicking on the lightwell while channeling something was not an option ), ppl were more against using it. Best logic is alive dps > dead but amazing dps. But still, reallity is,,,, as much they love min/max,,, if adapting their asses to use lightwell means a dps loss, they wont use it, period. They are bad yeah, but oh well.

For that kind of lazy dps's i have a 1 button lightwell macro, you just click it and u got the heal, you only need to have lightwell on range, u dont even need to have lightwell on ur screen, just in range. BUT, since isnt a wow macro, it's a windows* macro, ( u need a microsoft sidewinderx6 or any keyboard with windows macros or just a razer naga) the thing is,,,,, is ok if i post it on this forums? is just making a windows macro with 3 wow keybinds, thats all (due to the lack of "interact with target" macro code ingame). I used this macro since cata's launch and it works amazing. I can upload a video if needed, but first, i just need a mod confirmation!

Cheers !

Try an addon like the one here: http://murlocparliament.com/2011/04/...well-tracking/
    ^^
    Raeli’s Spell Announcer

Again, I love this. It will unobtrusively display lightwell clicks wherever I tell it to. I have it display clicks to only me, in chat box, so I can scroll up and see who clicked and who did not during the battle. You could spam it to the healer channel if your healing team likes that sort of thing.

You could also try this one: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...l-geespot.aspx

^^
    The add-on will track how many charges have been used, when someone uses a charge improperly because their health wasn't lower then what the LightWell actually heals for and also can whisper that user they where in the wrong.

When it detects that a user used LightWell improperly it informs them to please not use LightWell unless their health drops below a certain percent. The percent is based off the LightWell formula , including any increases in your Spell Power prior to casting, and the Max Health of the user who used improperly.

It will check if you have casted LightWell as you enter combat with a Instance or Raid Boss(Currently Only for Cata), and remind you that you have not.
    Will inform everyone when LightWell expires or all charges have been used.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any addon that can be set to announce clicks of the lightwell to raid chat, or /say, or some channel that all your raiders can see, should make them more likely to click the lightwell, because it gives them the "reward" of seeing their name pop up as having done a good thing. Psychology.

I'm a dps, and I try to be really good about clicking lightwells, but a lot of the time, I just forget. I admit it. Once, a priest had an addon like this, and it would announce who was clicking the lightwell, how many charges it had left, and if you had clicked it "uselessly" (while at full health) or not. I found that I used the lightwell that fight more than I ever had before or since.

Quote Originally Posted by FearGX View Post
    Lightwell is a really bad mechanic and totally relies on people interacting with it, which during a raid fight isn't so common. I feel your pain OP.
    1st off, putting LW anywhere other than by a tank is a wrong move in my book. Why is it that people think the best place to put one is in the middle of the dps, which are usually stationary for short periods and move when they need to. I don't know 1 single dps that would move 20 yards across or through a raid to click on what is essentially just a Renew.

Put the LW within the TANKS RANGE. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    Put the LW within the TANKS RANGE. Problem solved.
    So a tank can use a charge while he's blowing a cooldown? It still has a damage threshold that it breaks on, and most heroic bosses surpass that.

So a tank can use a charge while he's blowing a cooldown? It still has a damage threshold that it breaks on, and most heroic bosses surpass that.
    I agree. But by placing it by the tank (and providing the tank is at a standstill, in most fights not all) you ensure the complete and total usage of the spell if the tank uses the charges properly. Which is what the thread is about. People not clicking the LW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    Lightwell is stupid, dps dont know when you are going to heal them, so they can click the lightwell 5 times and be overhealed 1sec later. Its the healer role to heal and manage the healing/mana, not the dps roles.

It should be used as an extra heal, not something you really need.
    Then you're doing it wrong. Click it once and let the HoT run it's course - clicking it 5 times expends charges and heals you for shit.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

Deleted
    I always click them, it's completly independent from your character. You don't "cast" or "use" it - when you click it it triggers the well to cast a hot on you as if it was another player.