10+ Year Old Account
    HATERS GONNA HATE.

grabing me a next day shipping FX8150 the day it comes out

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    HATERS GONNA HATE.

grabing me a next day shipping FX8150 the day it comes out
    the only 'haters' here are more interested in seeing actual benchmarks and not a straight 'how high of a frequency can this get'
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Oh, I'm definitely looking forward to the chip as well. AMD is really ramping up the clocks; the octocore model turbos to 4.2GHz stock. If they can get the per-clock performance similar to the i7-2600 and if it overclocks in retail nearly as good as the handpicked chips they're using here then AMD once again has a contender, something they've been struggling with for a while now. I've been an AMD fan since I got into building computers and their 900MHz Athlon was king of the mountain, but I haven't used one of their chips in my main PC since the Core 2 Duos came out.

AMD has to compete with Ivy Bridge chips, but that's 2012. They've surely already got something in the works. Intel already has working Haswell silicon, but they've always been more public with their chips, and I'd like to think AMD has something up their sleeves.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    8ghz is allright, rambus has memory that fast (and has for some time) while it's cool to see, it's just gonna add more fuel to the AMDvIntel fight, what im waiting to see is a graphene based cpu, making that 8.4 ghz seem as relevent as a 200mhz i486

Quote Originally Posted by websitefeedback View Post
    They are claiming that "more than 5 GHz on air" 5 GHz in the air is nothing. Besides this says nothing about the actual results, how to overclock the processor. There is probably a very good reason why they have not seen the benchmarks for the processor yet.
    It's nothing? Really? Last time I checked it's quite a challenge to get Sandy Bridge to 5 GHz on air. I'm not saying that it will definitely as good an architecture as SB, but 5 GHz on air is still an achievement.
    Intruders detected. Primary defense matrix initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.

Deleted
    Also, thats most likely 5ghz for 8 cores (or 4 modules, however you wanna look at it).

Might not be that awesome for gaming, but for rendering and stuff like that. Anyway, like i said before, it doesnt say anything about actual performance, just clock speed

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnitronDefenseSystem View Post
    It's nothing? Really? Last time I checked it's quite a challenge to get Sandy Bridge to 5 GHz on air. I'm not saying that it will definitely as good an architecture as SB, but 5 GHz on air is still an achievement.
    If you don't hit the SB voltage limit, 5ghz is typically quite easily cooled with a DH-14 and a proper case. Needless to say, I'm waiting until we have benchmarks to even voice an opinion on these chips. My guess is nice for multi-threaded apps, still not superior to the 2500k for gaming (and then who knows what IB will bring for intel chips for gaming in Q1)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    If you don't hit the SB voltage limit, 5ghz is typically quite easily cooled with a DH-14 and a proper case. Needless to say, I'm waiting until we have benchmarks to even voice an opinion on these chips. My guess is nice for multi-threaded apps, still not superior to the 2500k for gaming (and then who knows what IB will bring for intel chips for gaming in Q1)
    "Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups!" - A quote from Under Siege 2, i suggest you learn from it :P

The truth is the only thing we know about possible performance are guessing games, we have no idea how it'll perform, we don't know it's IPC etc.
    So anyone telling you "It will never beat XYZ!" is of no importance as it's merely a guess.

For the spirit of competition i hope it's a chip capable of matching/beating the Core i7 2600K, we've been without it for too long.
    As for Ivy Bridge, it's merely a die-shrink of Sandy Bridge, don't expect miracles to come flying out of it's butt.

RAM Speed : 906.4 MHz (3:10) @ 2-16-2-22
    Wut? I don't look at benchmarks all day, but 2-16-2 :S
    I don't know much about memory timings, but isn't something like 7-7-7 much more stable while being only 1 tick behind (per operation(?) ofcourse, but does that matter for e-peen cases like this?)?

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    As for Ivy Bridge, it's merely a die-shrink of Sandy Bridge, don't expect miracles to come flying out of it's butt.
    IB also introduces tri-gate transistors. I don't know how exactly it will influence performance, but Intel expected (together with the dieshrink) 10-20% increased performance over SB. Ofcourse, this is their own chip, so it might be a little exaggerated.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-09-14 at 12:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups!" - A quote from Under Siege 2, i suggest you learn from it :P

The truth is the only thing we know about possible performance are guessing games, we have no idea how it'll perform, we don't know it's IPC etc.
    So anyone telling you "It will never beat XYZ!" is of no importance as it's merely a guess.

For the spirit of competition i hope it's a chip capable of matching/beating the Core i7 2600K, we've been without it for too long.
    thank you for putting words in my mouth. I clearly said it was a guess, and i said "who knows" what IB will do. I think that's like saying "it could be awesome, it could be negligible."

But thank you for countering points I didn't even make.

15+ Year Old Account
    thank you for putting words in my mouth. I clearly said it was a guess, and i said "who knows" what IB will do. I think that's like saying "it could be awesome, it could be negligible."

But thank you for countering points I didn't even make.
    The only thing i countered was your: "still not superior to the 2500k for gaming (and then who knows what IB will bring for intel chips for gaming in Q1)"
    The context you're putting this in suggests that you already assuming the i5 will still be "king" in it's domain and that IB will only enhance it, it's not what you are saying directly but is insinuated in your context, which was the counter argument.

The rest was not a counter argument, just a statement of it being folly to say what you did.

@ Asmekiel: Every manufacturer exaggerates, never believe it till i see it first hand.

The Ivy Bridge comment was in general, since people seem to think it's a new Godsend Architecture that will revolutionize the world, it's kinda agitating me to be honest, but not meant at anyone in particular.

15+ Year Old Account
    <snip>
    Once again, I said "MY GUESS" meaning it's purely speculation. What is it with people on the boards tonight?

15+ Year Old Account
    Once again, I said "MY GUESS" meaning it's purely speculation. What is it with people on the boards tonight?
    Oi, i've treated you properly and without anger, it would be nice to expect the same in return rather then receiving the response you posted.

The way you bring your "Guess" is from an assuming position, let me hit you with an example:
    My guess would be that Intel CPU Y will still be faster, and who knows what the next Intel CPU Z will bring.

When you read it, you can see the assumption of superiority as opposed as to being a guess.
    The proper way to word it would be something along the lines of:
    My guess would be that whilst AMD CPU X may be able to keep up in multi-threaded department, it will do less so in lesser threaded applications such as games, aswell as Intel's CPU Z right around the corner it may yet again nullify the gain's of AMD's CPU X.

See the difference?

Anyway, behaving civilized towards each other is better then replying with "What is it with people on the boards tonight?".

Edit: Bedtime.

15+ Year Old Account

<snip>
    A guess is different than an assumption, but thanks for the inaccurate lesson on English and semantics.

15+ Year Old Account
    A guess is different than an assumption, but thanks for the inaccurate lesson on English and semantics.
    Clearly my breath is wasted on a person not even caring to read the post.
    If you are wanting to argue about English lessons then perhaps you should begin by correcting your own.

A guess by definition is an assumption, but can be viewed differently due to the way it's being projected in context, which yours did.

In any case have a good night.

15+ Year Old Account
    <snip again>
    And arrogance is simply arrogance.

Bro, here's a tip - these are computer forums on a gaming website. Sorry it didn't read like a dissertation. But I'll try harder for you next time.

10+ Year Old Account
    hehe they used the motherboard i have right now for their overclock ~.^

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will cry with tears of happiness when subzero cooling is available to the regular consumer, aka never.. still nice to dream. I'm more interested in real world results and performance. Hopefully AMD can put up some stiff competition against intel's seemingly market because it'll just make it better for the average consumer.

10+ Year Old Account
    just to clear up a few posts, sub zero cooling is available to the public in the form of high power peltiers and phase changers, however, liquid nitrogen and helium are only used in record style events because it is not sustainable, the act of the nitrogen evaporating into a gas is what actually cools the cpu, this means that you can not have a sealed loop, and you must continue to pour liquid into the stack for as long as the computer is running, if you want to try something similar, most LN2 stack coolers also accept crushed dry ice which is available at most grocery stores, you wont get as cold as LN2, but you can still have the same fun
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2011-09-14 at 03:03 AM. Reason: ipad autocorrect fail

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Wut? I don't look at benchmarks all day, but 2-16-2 :S
    I don't know much about memory timings, but isn't something like 7-7-7 much more stable while being only 1 tick behind (per operation(?) ofcourse, but does that matter for e-peen cases like this?)?
    Pretty clearly a mis-read by CPU-Z. This is a brand new CPU architecture after all. They probably relaxed RAM speed and timings pretty severely to reduce load on the CPU silicon.
    Super casual.