Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

MMO champion forums Like / Dislike?

So I stopped going to the official wow forums a long time ago for reasons that I'm sure you guys can guess.

Anyways, I went back the other day to look at a class forum, and I saw that you can apparently vote like or dislike on peoples posts, showing really good posts and 'hiding' i think is how they put it bad ones (im assuming trolls/insults etc)

I was thinking, something like that on these forums would be kinda cool, just to show the number of people who liked it or disliked it next to peoples posts.. now thinking about it I see horrible visions of something alike to that Funnyjunk website, and my body suddenly falls physically ill for a while. When I do recover from that though I can't help but think something like this could be kinda cool and just wanted to know what other people think about it.

I do realize that upon reading my suggestion for a like/dislike feature some of you will find where I live, come to my house, and physically throw me off of these forums, and to that I say bring it bitches! I have a moat
    “The Jedi…the Sith…you don’t get it, do you? To the galaxy, they’re the same thing; just men and women with too much power, squabbling over religion, while the rest of us burn.”-Atton Rand

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be opposed, but I think too many people would just use it to irritate people they don't like.
    I'm a crazy taco.

Moved to S&F. Also, this has been discussed before, and was declined due to trolls/people disagreeing abusing it.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not declined; we just need to have time to figure out exactly how to implement it for our forum. It's on the radar, but we don't have an exact ETA yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is implemented on these forums, I'd just hope you woudn't be able to like/dislike the news posts, just because we get so much QQ on some of it already, for example the Winged gaurdian announcment would have been like 80% dislikes 20% likes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    It's not declined; we just need to have time to figure out exactly how to implement it for our forum. It's on the radar, but we don't have an exact ETA yet.
    So, it's Soon™

Ideas are still being thrown around I believe. It is unlikely that we have "dislikes" actually affect the forum (i.e. hide posts from view) due to potential abuse, however, we could still add dislikes as an option, perhaps have a certain amount of dislikes on a post automatically report it for moderators to review. Or, we could just do away with dislikes and make everything just +1s to show support. In any case, the admins still have things to take into consideration. Rest assured, they are listening =p

eh, it seems like a really bad idea for forums like this. just sayin.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would just stick with a "Like" button like facebook has. If you like an article or post then you can like it, if not then it stays neutral. A dislike button would get abused constantly. Just look at the number of reports from people who disagree with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I would just stick with a "Like" button like facebook has. If you like an article or post then you can like it, if not then it stays neutral. A dislike button would get abused constantly. Just look at the number of reports from people who disagree with one another.
    Most definitely this. People will "dislike" everything they don't agree with, even if it's right. "Like"ing something would be an incredibly small number in comparison to "Dislike"ing something.

There's so many dysfunctional people with minimal social or conversational skills here who rage when you say something they don't agree with or that challenges their narrow point of view, everyone and every opinion is a troll to them - would never work with this forum.

I don't think the "dislike" button would be abused that much. I mean sure, some trolls would definitely abuse it but I think the majority of people would use the system properly. In the end, it's the numbers what counts in such a system.

For example, say I make a reasonably interesting post. A few guys who don't like me would vote it down. But if my post was good, more people would vote it up and would outweigh the bad votes.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    I don't think the "dislike" button would be abused that much. I mean sure, some trolls would definitely abuse it but I think the majority of people would use the system properly. In the end, it's the numbers what counts in such a system.
    Even a moderate amount of abuse would make the results useless.

Guess it would be a nice addition, but then I would have to change my avatar.

Like.
    Hi

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    If a post is really offensive, then that's what the Report Post link is for. I'm not sure we need a like/dislike button. A simple "like" button would be good, though... Something that bumps a post and/or makes it more prominent because it's actually good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those are the questions we want to answer before rushing into a bad like/dislike system.

There are possibilities of a karma system, where only users with a certain "level" can downvote, in order to prevent new accounts spamming downvote and stuff. Anyway, nothing's set in stone so far, and we're still considering different possibilities.

Ah, sorry about that then. I thought we didn't plan anything because of possible abuse. My bad. :/

I want a moat!!! I agree with the like/dislike feature that a lot of sites are doing now so i'm all for it.

I like it because it helps you scroll through the bs faster and get to the posts that actually help or are a good read.
    Last edited by Dylis; 2011-09-14 at 05:51 PM.

If you like something, reply to it. If not, don't. If it's offensive, report it. <- already a solid system in place. we don't need these forums turning into more of a high school type atmosphere.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you allowed only likes, then it would be useful, since it would make good posts stand out of the rest