Need help with potential build!

I'm building a new computer, and this is what I have right now:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K $218
    Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $140
    RAM: G.Skill-NT 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 $44
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $55
    GPU: 1GB AMD Radeon HD6950 $209
    Case: Antec 100 $65
    PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520C $67 (BYO power cord)
    ODD: DVD burner $20
    CPU HSF: Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212+ $32
    Total: $850

I have around 700-900$ to play with. If I could get some suggestions or changes to be made that would be awesome!

You could look into more expensive choices of either motherboard, graphics card or PSU, besides that there isn't much to fix or change within the budget and it's fairly well balanced. If you aren't planning/considering SLI/Crossfire, swapping the graphics card for bit more expensive one would be probably best use for money if you want to improve something. On the other hand if you think you might want a pair of cards for crossfire later, you definitely need beefier PSU.

SSD is the only big upgrade you can do, but you'd need about $100 more to get a decently sized 120GB disc.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you recommend any graphics cards you would swap?

Also, what's SLI/Crossfire?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Narna View Post
    Could you recommend any graphics cards you would swap?

Also, what's SLI/Crossfire?
    It's when you have 2 graphics cards and make them work like one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh thanks, no I'm not planning to do that any time soon

I'd recommend getting a better psu. 520w would probably run it but doesn't leave much headroom if you overclock.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    I'd recommend getting a better psu. 520w would probably run it but doesn't leave much headroom if you overclock.
    It's enough for single CPU and single GPU just fine.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'd suggest upping the PSU to something around the 650W, granted it's more than needed for that system but it future proofs any upgrades as PSU's have a very minimal extra cost for more watts. Look at the corsair HX series as a start. Also try looking at a case with more airflow, thermaltake V6 is my suggestion. Also maybe the coolermaster HAF912.

Otherwise it seems like a solid build.

The build uses about 27 amps (12v) max... overclocking it will push it higher... 40amps doesn't give much headroom especially if/when the psu loses some wattage over time. It's worth a couple extra bucks imo to get one with 48amps or so.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all for the feedback, I'll take them into consideration