Deleted

Installing Windows 8 on a clean PC.

Is it possible to download everything you need for the Windows 8 developer version on another computer, put it on a USB stick and then install it onto a clean SSD/ HDD? Or do you need to have a OS pre-installed?

Thanks in advance x

10+ Year Old Account
    you can do a fresh install

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    you can do a fresh install
    awesome, so I'd just need to put all the files onto a clean USB and select that as what I want to install an OS from on bootup? (My words are less than eloquent there.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Melfeth View Post
    You'll have to make a bootable usb/disc. Your bios won't open a .exe file.
    how do I do that? >.<

Yep.

The biggest version (x64 with dev tools) has file larger than 4GB though so you need to forma the USB stick to NTFS.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    5. LMGTFY links should be avoided. It's simple enough to provide a normal Google link or tell someone to search on Google for information. The extra slap in the face is not necessary.
    Pretty much.

Here's a proper link without being an asshat -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../dd535816.aspx
    Step by step guide for making bootable USB stick in Vista/7.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    Is it possible to download everything you need for the Windows 8 developer version on another computer, put it on a USB stick and then install it onto a clean SSD/ HDD? Or do you need to have a OS pre-installed?

Thanks in advance x
    Why not to use a virtual machine? Way, way, way less hassle.

unless you're installing it on something with a touch screen you'll probably want to apply this registry fix to get the classic start menu back

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8...sic-start-menu

playing with it here at work on one of our extra machines, its more or less windows 7 with a few tweaks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    playing with it here at work on one of our extra machines, its more or less windows 7 with a few tweaks.
    The tweak does disable some of the non-metro features as well though. (Such as the altered Task Manager)

Though for the purposes of legacy software testing its probably better that way; less headaches when dealing with the somewhat clumsy Start system.

yeah i noticed it turned some other stuff off. but i'm trying some business apps on it and seeing how they run. much more interested in compatibility than i am shiny new things, especially being in charge of deployment...

There's a windows 8 now? o_O
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    You don't even need to install any programs to make bootable usb. Just open the Win 8 what ever it comes in. And copy pasty everything in it into the USB and make sure there is bootmgr file. So easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    There's a windows 8 now? o_O
    It's in some kind of beta/testing stage right now... you can download a test version.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Just bear in mind that, if Windows 8 was 6 months away from release you could probably use it just fine in a productive environment.

However Windows 7 probably still has another year to go before release so it's still quite buggy and wip.

Avoid using a USB that has slow transfer rates, spent ages to copy files using my 2MB/s once. :P