Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I feel this thread is really open to some not so constructive discussions, the OP has a good way for people to utilize the lightwell but unfortunately I don't think many want the extra clicks in their rotation. In all honesty considering the easy nature that people can click the lightwell with out undoing their current target I don't see a major need for a macro such as this, if people want to click the lightwell they will but if they don't and they die and the light well was down then all I say is "Too bad, learn to click the lightwell and you'd be fine".

Clicking the lightwell isn't a matter of HPS, throw that saying out the door, clicking the lightwell is a matter of raid survivability, your DPS just needs to get use to the lightwell and when to use it. If your light well is in a prime spot that's easy for everyone to use then no excuses, my tanks use it, my DPS use it on our Ragnaros fight because it's helpful on P1 and P2, if I can get it to them on P3 then they use it all up.

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 05:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    Or just don't group with Holy Priests and avoid the entire messy affair.
    Really.. Maybe I'm misreading this but there is more to a holy priest than just lightwell, lightwell is a fraction of our healing which if DPS/tanks/other healers use it is a great tool for survivability, saying don't group with Holy Priest is a childish mentality that would make people say "crap holy priest... /leavegroup or vote kick" it's an absurd mentality and I would appreciate that you maybe come up with a more intellectual conclusive thought process then that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbyjackjoe View Post
    No. I click my abilities. It really is a silly design to also have to click on the healers abilities too.

Maybe next we'll be generating threat for the tank.
    You kind of are already with MD/ToT etc
    Think of it like this.. You bother to move from fire because it saves you from dieing... Click the damn lightwell because it does too!

Also, stop clicking abilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Light well would be cooler if it spat out orbs of light at people in X radius with the lowest HP for its duration to heal for Y amount.
    The reason it's not already doing that is because it would make healing too easy for priests and it wouldn't need human interaction or human reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heap View Post
    You kind of are already with MD/ToT etc
    Think of it like this.. You bother to move from fire because it saves you from dieing... Click the damn lightwell because it does too!

Also, stop clicking abilities!
    Ok, try to comprehend that you aren't the only one with an opinion.
    I click, I do competitive dps. I don't want to bind.

You have to try and comprehend, also, that there is going to be a difference in opinion on this matter. You have people that say stfu and click it, and others that say I'm not a healer. I'm not saying that I refuse to click it. If it's there and I'm made aware of it, I'll try and remember to click it. But, if you want to sit on your high and mighty horse when I die and you try to blame me because one healing spec forces me to cast a spell for the healer...

Some people don't like it, others do. Sure, it can add to raid survivability in the long run. But why is that the dps responsibility. In my opinion, it's a silly mechanic.

Think about it like this priests. Tanks in 4.3 are getting an ability, let's call it clickmeorthedpsgetsaggro. Now, cmotdga is an object the tank drops and the tank tells you that you have to click it during the phase where so much aoe is going on. You click it, but because you did, you didn't get a heal off and the tank dies. Why is the healer worrying about aggro problems? Why is the healer not dispelling and healing?
    Tank - aggro, positioning, add pick up, taunting
    Dps - interupts, high damage, burning down vital adds
    Healing - dispells, healing

10+ Year Old Account
    I know saying this is dangerous, especially with my signature saying I'm not playing WoW at the moment, but this is one of the reasons I'm excited about Guildwars 2: survivability is everyones responsibility.

To all DPS who refuse to click the Lightwell, either because it's too hard or because "DPS should DPS, Healers should Heal": How much DPS do you do when your health is zero? How much does your DPS matter with healers that are OOM? Remember that time you stood in the fire because you wanted to finish your cast, and died because of that? That's the same issue as not clicking the Lightwell. Your raid is a team. Your job is not to just DPS. If you're allowed to just DPS you're dragging down your raid. Any decent raider would click the Lightwell, just as any decent raider knows not to stand in the fire or starts tanking adds when the tank died so people can get a combat rezz off.
    If you really think your DPS is more important than the success of the raid, you don't deserve to be in the raid.

And I'd also like to fight the assertion that Holy Priests are crap healers because of Lightwell. Holy, Priests are generally fucking amazing healers when played properly, Lightwell or not.

And finally I'd like to state that if Healers would Heal and DPS would DPS and Tanks would Tank you'd not see any of the following: Body and Soul on a DPS or Tank that needs it. Feral or Boomkin Tranquility. Death Knights combat rezzes, a quick taunt from the retri pala so the feral tank can combat ress someone. No Rallying Cries. I'd really like to see progression without any of that.

EDIT:
    Think about it like this priests. Tanks in 4.3 are getting an ability, let's call it clickmeorthedpsgetsaggro. Now, cmotdga is an object the tank drops and the tank tells you that you have to click it during the phase where so much aoe is going on. You click it, but because you did, you didn't get a heal off and the tank dies. Why is the healer worrying about aggro problems? Why is the healer not dispelling and healing?
    I don't think any decent player would have trouble clicking it while casting.
    Last edited by Ynna; 2011-09-15 at 06:25 AM.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

If LW is in your focus, would right clicking the focus frame work?

Tank - aggro, positioning, add pick up, taunting
    Dps - interupts, high damage, burning down vital adds
    Healing - dispells, healing
    Sounds fun being in control and it being every ones responsibility having to make decisions whether tank needs aggro or healing more, not to mention as a healer/ranged most spells you have 2 seconds to click what you want as you cast and if your melee most of your damage comes from auto attack anyway if you insist on clicking abilities and most classes are not punished unless you energy cap.

*inner healer takes over*
    since you dont key bind, bind /target lightwell to f and interact to h and /targetlast to k. then faceplant and roll, you will gain new friends because of it. i just get images of the brat which dies because he didn't cloak of shadow because its the healers responsibility to heal through the damage or a warlock who wont even use his own health stones as he lifetaps mid fight, i hope your not that person.

just dont be bad. and click the lightwell.

Some people don't like it, others do. Sure, it can add to raid survivability in the long run. But why is that the dps responsibility. In my opinion, it's a silly mechanic.
    You don't move out of bad stuff? I hate to break it to you, survivability is already part of your job. If you aren't taking steps to mitigate damage that you can while doing your DPS, then you aren't doing your entire job. Another reason would be because raiding is a TEAM BASED part of the game. You're doing it as a group, as a team. It's your job to help down bosses, whether that's by DPS or by clicking the damn lightwell. Don't be self centered and say "it's not my job" when it's a team effort.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    Not if you use ControllerMate, or something similar. That could make it a one-button press.
    You know what I meant.
    For those of us with stone-age keyboards and such, we can't do those kinds of nifty things.

Sorry, dont have two spare buttons.
    Ill just take disco priest and whatever raid healer there will be that can heal me without making me click extra buttons.

Deleted
    No. I click my abilities. It really is a silly design to also have to click on the healers abilities too.

Maybe next we'll be generating threat for the tank.
    Taking a second of your time to PRESS an ability while clicking a lightwell won't affect your DPS.
    I don't care if people click, I don't click, but if you start saying you can't click a lightwell because you're a clicker, then that's where problems are going to start.

A lightwell heals you for ~25k, and it's things like that which can make a difference on bosses with high healing needs, like Domo.

People are saying it's not their job to heal, ugh. It's your job as a dps to survive the fight while putting out as much damage as you can, and if that means using survival cooldowns or clicking a lightwell, it shouldn't be something you're reluctant to do.

EDIT: I'm not a healer, I play a DPS myself and my Priest isn't even holy, so it's not a class based rant.
    Last edited by mmocfa3b6f5501; 2011-09-15 at 09:31 AM.

Deleted
    Sorry, a dps who 'refuses to cast the healers spells for them' (dick way of phrasing that, btw) can fuck off and die. Your job is to kill shit. You can't do that when dead. The lightwell is a healthstone that can be used repeatedly. It's a resource YOU ARE GIVEN by your healer, to save yourselves.

Now stop being whiny close-minded fools, and raid properly. Use every advantage and tool at your disposal, and work as a fucking team. Not 'leet dps and his backup', 'cos I swear to you that's not how your teammates see it.

Or if all of you see the raid as 'me and my sidekicks', you're probably not going to last long.

My 2p. Apparently my aggressive 2p, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Andaja View Post
    Sorry, dont have two spare buttons.
    Ill just take disco priest and whatever raid healer there will be that can heal me without making me click extra buttons.
    For your tier 11 pugs?

But yeah lets don't pressure the poor tunnelvisioning people by trying to show them the benefits of situational awareness and such.

As for that macro, perhaps useful on fights where stuff may cover the lightwell (like Rhyo walking over it), but in general I'll always place it in a sensible manner where it isn't obscured by any graphical effects and my guild (25-man) normally consumes all 15 charges while still being able to keep to their rotations, and still out-performing all the moaners who posted above me. (*gasp* how's that possible! they must have like 4 arms or something!).

question: can you use that /target Lightwell and then setfocus on it?
    and is there a Interact with FocusTarget function?

sooooooo setfocus on the lightwell before the fight
    hit the Interact with FocusTarget Function macro and dont loose ur current target? (or macro in a retarget back)

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't auto shoot the boss when i target the lightwell . Often our priest puts it in a good clickable place, so i'd rather just click the lightwell while spamming my rotation then use 2 keybinds (also a problem, i already have to many keybinds for my liking) to use the lightwell.

Personal prefference i supose.

Now I could be jaded from the way lightwell use to funtion and that you had to stop what you were doing to use it and be next to it also, but if its too hard to use now the death that results afterwards is much deserved. You mouse over and click and poof a hot starts to tic on you. If for some reason you cant get your mouse over to let you click on it change your pov, if thats too hard then again you deserve to sit on the ground as a corpse and watch the others finish the fight or follow your queue and start a gy march.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Vraie View Post
    Just keep the boss or the lightwell as your focus

Re-tarding is hard, I know; it's not like 20k over 6 seconds could be useful to your healers
    fix'd for teh lazy deeps

I agree with the DPS - How can they honestly expect to down a boss when they can't even get that extra little half-GCD hit in on the big baddie?

/sarcasm

Unless they're dead?

I understand it's the healers job to heal you, and I agree they should be doing their job, but...

If you could click a little item near you and like, just drop extra damage on the boss.... just for clicking that while still going through keybinds for your rotation..... most of you would do it. Just to stroke your epeens even harder.

But you won't do the same thing to ease the burden on healers when your lazy self is standing in blatantly obvious and avoidable boss mechanics OR during heavy damage phases.

If clicking lightwell really burdens your DPS that much: You're DPSing it wrong. L2 Multi-task. (Zomg I can click my mouse and press a keyboard button at the same time!! Jinkies, back to the Mystery Machine, mystery solved!!!)

@OP: They shouldn't need all sorts of special little helping hand commands to do their utmost to survive a boss fight, so they can, in fact, try to top meters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is the healer worrying about aggro problems? Why is the healer not dispelling and healing?
    Things change all the time, and that helps keep the game dynamics interesting. Stuff only seems like the de-facto rules of function in WoW because everyone has gotten used to it that way. But these de-facto rules change all the time.

Remember when managing Threat was a gigantic part of the DPS' job? I mean, gigantic. People would choose trinkets and enchants just for threat reduction. They'd request a Paladin blessing that reduced Threat generation over ones that increased actual damage output, because you could do the most additional damage just by not being Threat-capped. A writeup like yours in TBC would have listed "Responsibly controls Threat output" as part of DPS' job description.

That changed and got overtly folded into the Tank job and largely taken off DPS' hands. Roles modify and evolve, and arguing that you don't want to do something because it's not the standardized manual-written procedure is a little nearsighted.

We've gotten used to the roles being very rigid and myopic, especially coming out of WOTLK, where everything was highly exaggerated and specialized (largely a chain-reaction from heals basically being limited only by activation time). The devs seem comfortable making the roles a little more fluid going forward, so I'd expect more boundary-blurring as WoW moves forward.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2011-09-15 at 10:31 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    question: can you use that /target Lightwell and then setfocus on it?
    and is there a Interact with FocusTarget function?

sooooooo setfocus on the lightwell before the fight
    hit the Interact with FocusTarget Function macro and dont loose ur current target? (or macro in a retarget back)
    After sprawling the Keybindings I couldn't find an Interact with Focus... only Mouseover and Target.