Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for replies, thinking of trying out the burning a ISO if windows to a CD or USB Flash and do it that way.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Not to mention personal experiences of such?

Tell you what, as it happens i have to build a new machine with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit in the next couple days, i'll tell you aswell then that it's wrong.
    If you want to get into personal experiences, then fine. I've built 2 machines with W7Pro x64 with SSDs (first gen Agility 60GB and a 120GB Vertex 3) and both of them have had all that shit disabled by default during installation.

Besides what evidence have you just presented, "I've done A so B is true!"?
    You've done exactly the same. You've presented zero evidence to back up your case. A quick google will find hundreds of articles to back up our position.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I just did this 3 weeks ago and used Arcronis true disc imagine. I imaged the entire HD from one sata II SSD to a sata III SSD including my OS and it went flawless.
    We are talking about cloning from an HDD to an SSD, not from an SSD to another SSD.

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 04:44 PM ----------

@asrialol: sorry for all the bashing against each other, computer nerds, but some people believe they can actually clone an HDD to an SSD.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilop View Post
    Norton Ghost if u want to clone your old disk.

If not, sail away pirate! The bay holds what your looking for!
    I fully support this.

Revenue increase US$ 69.94 billion (FY 2011)
    Operating income increase US$ 27.16 billion (FY 2011)
    Profit increase US$ 23.15 billion (FY 2011)
    Total assets increase US$ 108.7 billion (FY 2011)
    Total equity increase US$ 57.08 billion (FY 2011)
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    If Windows thought a Hard Drive is a Hard Drive, how come FAT32 can not communicate with NTFS if it's installed on Windows 98 machines and older? If Windows thought a Hard Drive is a Hard Drive, how come you can't take out one Hard Drive out of RAID-0 composition without breaking all your data of both Disks?

Bullshit arguements you gave, incorrect.
    Did you just actually type this? Do you even KNOW the concept of these things?
    Do you actually know the underlying technology and what handles what?

I suggest you do some very heavy reading.

There is a difference between cloning an HDD to an SDD = having a clone of Windows 7 where the OS is installed assuming on the Hard Drive, with the Hard Drive enabled, the data on the Hard Drive. If you got more data on your HDD then the SDD has the amount of space, it will either fail or it won't boot at all. Also, if you have it partioned, it ain't correct at all, partitions, and then your data, will be corrupted and destroyed as the tables are correct.

and there is a difference between re-installing Windows 7 from an HDD to an SDD.
    Space issue was mentioned, other then that even if you have partitions, it WILL work, maybe not as fast due to different alignment settings, but it will work without issue and will not corrupt data.

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 02:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by redmund View Post
    If you want to get into personal experiences, then fine. I've built 2 machines with W7Pro x64 with SSDs (first gen Agility 60GB and a 120GB Vertex 3) and both of them have had all that shit disabled by default during installation.
    Only 2? I've built approx 19 machines in the last ~4 months for people that say otherwise, but as stated, i'm about to install another new rig and will tell you.

You've done exactly the same. You've presented zero evidence to back up your case. A quick google will find hundreds of articles to back up our position.
    Actually i linked you a newer article with those settings because systems didn't do it, aswell as you saying a quick google will back you up, same here.
    At least i'm building a new rig with W7 Prof x64 SP1 in the next couple days and will tell you about it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Did you just actually type this? Do you even KNOW the concept of these things?
    Do you actually know the underlying technology and what handles what?

I suggest you do some very heavy reading.
    I do know, I don't need reading, it's the same bullshit everywhere. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

Also, if you are gonna give these comments, I suggest I can do the same towards you, because all you do is talk big-mouth, bullshit and you are just trying to boost your ego here.

Space issue was mentioned, other then that even if you have partitions, it WILL work, maybe not as fast due to different alignment settings, but it will work without issue and will not corrupt data.
    Clear fact of only taking out the part you can handle.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

15+ Year Old Account
    I do know, I don't need reading, it's the same bullshit everywhere. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

Also, if you are gonna give these comments, I suggest I can do the same towards you, because all you do is talk big-mouth, bullshit and you are just trying to boost your ego here.
    I beg your pardon? It's not my fault you are wholly mis-informed about the technologies behind it, tell me, WTF does FAT32/NTFS have to do with cloning or being read in older versions of Windows? If i want to i can format to the proper alignment using FAT32 on my SSDs and have it work in Windows 98 aswell, it has however 0 relevance to the point of windows just wanting a hard drive.
    If i read ancient Hieroglyphs and you come along and you can read Hieroglyphs and English, does that change anything to the fact that we can both read Hieroglyphs?

And as for RAID-0... really, i mean REALLY? If you knew the underlying workings, you wouldn't say what you just said.

Clear fact of only taking out the part you can handle.
    I answered in full to your statements, so where is this clear fact of only taking out parts here?

If Windows thought a Hard Drive is a Hard Drive, how come you can't take out one Hard Drive out of RAID-0 composition without breaking all your data of both Disks?

Bullshit arguements you gave, incorrect.
    Exactly how is a RAID-0 array related to the arguement?
    A RAID-0 array will behave the exact same way, be it HDDs or SSDs composed, if you remove either/any of the disks composing the array the RAID-0 will collapse regardless.

Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_0#RAID_0
    "Reliability of a given RAID 0 set is equal to the average reliability of each disk divided by the number of disks in the set:

That is, reliability (as measured by mean time to failure (MTTF) or mean time between failures (MTBF)) is roughly inversely proportional to the number of members – so a set of two disks is roughly half as reliable as a single disk. If there were a probability of 5% that the disk would fail within three years, in a two disk array, that probability would be increased to

The reason for this is that the file system is distributed across all disks. When a drive fails the file system cannot cope with such a large loss of data and coherency since the data is "striped" across all drives (the data cannot be recovered without the missing disk).

So there's definitely no validity in that arguement of yours.
    Last edited by Enlightned; 2011-09-15 at 03:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlightned View Post
    That is, (as measured to failure mean time between) is roughly to the members – so a disks is as reliable as disk. If there probability of the disk would fail years, in a array, that be increased to \mathbb{P}(\mathbb{P}(\mbox{neither fails}) = 1^2 = 0.0975
    RAID0 Failure! Help!
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-09-15 at 03:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so here is my 2 cents.

If you are changing hardware other than just the hard drive (CPU, RAM, Etc.) DON'T try and clone it. I tried this with my last system upgrade when I changed pretty much everything but the power supply and went from a HDD to a SDD and Windows 7 did not like it. As stated before, it starts thinking is it missing necessary components and it's just a headache from the get go. If you aren't trying to swap all of your hardware and are just upgrading the hard drive, well I can't comment on that but previous posts seem to indicate this is pretty successful with ghosting/imaging.

As far as the SSD argument goes (I didn't read all of it but think I got the gist). Windows 7 does NOT auto disable things like defragging and indexing. I JUST (within the last few weeks) upgraded to SSD's in a RAID0 array from a 7200RPM HDD and I had to manually disable all these things and move the paging file to my storage HDD. I don't know what fantasy world you're living in where Windows does all these things for you automatically, but I want in.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    So what i've read about the arguments on this thread my SSD which have cloned windows 7 from HDD shouldn't work or will work but can explode any given time?
    If so can someone tell me how to do the changes manually so it won't explode?

10+ Year Old Account
    The changes we are talking about won't prevent Windows from functioning, they just disable unnecessary functions to speed up the process.

You can google how to do any of them but the 3 I would recommend absolutely doing are

1) Disable drive indexing - SSD's don't have to read platters for data like HDD's do, so having an index of the drive will not help speed at all.
    2) Disable defragmenting - Again, SSD's don't have moving parts, so the files don't get fragmented like they do on normal HDD's
    3) Move the paging file to a backup drive - This isn't necessary at all but I would recommend it.

The last 3 computers i built windows automatically disabled defrag and enabled trim when set in AHCI.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilppari View Post
    So what i've read about the arguments on this thread my SSD which have cloned windows 7 from HDD shouldn't work or will work but can explode any given time?
    If so can someone tell me how to do the changes manually so it won't explode?
    It won't explode, it'll work fine, it may not be optimized in speed and speed alone due to block alignment, but that can be fixed by any proper partitioning programme or if i remember correctly even a simple command in Command Prompt (though not 100% sure of the latter).

There are some things that need to be disabled/enabled for the most important part, which is Defragmentation (needs disabling, this will actually decrease SSD lifespan) and TRIM enabling to increase SSD lifespan (though GC does it's work very nicely and TRIM doesn't work as of yet on RAID implementations).

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 03:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darken View Post
    The last 3 computers i built windows automatically disabled defrag and enabled trim when set in AHCI.
    AHCI is the bread and butter of my builds (or RAID0), i've long since abandoned IDE and intend to keep it that way, yet i get nothing of what is stated here.
    However i will admit to not having made them with X-25 Intel drives, because my "customer base" demands speed above all, so whilst Intel drives aren't bad, they are deffo not the fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by Darken View Post
    When I installed Windows 7 on my Vertex 3 i also had defrag disabled and trim enabled, dont know what causes Evil's builds to be setup differently

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    When I installed Windows 7 on my Vertex 3 i also had defrag disabled and trim enabled, dont know what causes Evil's builds to be setup differently
    I have used exclusively all Windows 7 x64 versions barring 1 install but that only had a 60GB SSD, Crucial M4, used a x86 of W7 Pro.

Have used the Editions:
    Home Premium
    Professional
    Ultimate

Have used languages:
    Dutch
    English
    French (Yes, people actually pick French OSes, no i don't know why, luckily i know the clickies by heart)
    German

Most were English UK builds of W7Pro x64
    Most also used a single SSD of 120 or 240GB
    Only about 4 builds i made in a short time took RAID0.

Still NONE had anything of the sorts enabled/disabled on those tweaks.

Before it comes to "You don't enable AHCI", i do, as the first things i do when building is update the BIOS, run diagnostics to see if everything is hooked up correctly/functioning correctly, and only then do i start an install.
    So perhaps it's because i'm on this side of the hemisphere, but i doubt it.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    So perhaps it's because i'm on this side of the hemisphere, but i doubt it.
    Seems unlikely to me as well.

You don't happen to use some kind of bulk preinstall disc, by chance? That's all I can think of other than Zeus hates you.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Seems unlikely to me as well.

You don't happen to use some kind of bulk preinstall disc, by chance? That's all I can think of other than Zeus hates you.
    Nope, i always (even though i do have an All-in-One disc of W7) use the disc i buy with the rigs i set up, granted they are OEMs, but it shouldn't matter as the only thing different from an OEM is that you can always Upgrade or Fresh Install and doesn't have that idiotic box Microsoft decides to supply with their Office and Windows packages.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I've only installed Windows on a couple of SSD's personally, but both times all relevant tweaks were done already.

In fact, the last time I reinstalled my home system, all the tweaks were done to my boot drive... which is a Caviar Black RAID0 array... ><
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I've only installed Windows on a couple of SSD's personally, but both times all relevant tweaks were done already.

In fact, the last time I reinstalled my home system, all the tweaks were done to my boot drive... which is a Caviar Black RAID0 array... ><
    Which then begs the question for you, are you not using some compiled ISO disc with utilities/SP1 integrated which covers that regardless of drive?

A RAID0 should not cause those tweaks, hell i have a RAID0 myself and it doesn't cause that, i have to apply it myself each and every time.