Deleted

What would happen to the game if it was possible to not be saved anywhere?

I imagine hard core raiders would kill themselves by being online 24/7 for 3 weeks.

But in this case, maybe you can lock only heroics.

But then normals may kill people as well.

--

But then again WTF, why would a game kill people? Something is not right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're saying raids reset like normal dungeons?

People would get bored very quickly. Or get burnt out.

They made those 1 week lockouts/resets for a reason, lol.

Guilds would farm for the best gear for their roster and then........ well the fun of the game is gone. I guess farming achievements would be easier, but you'd soon find yourself with nothing to do. It's a bit like joining a private server (if you have) everything's given to you and within a week or so you're bored with nothing to do. I think the lockout system needs to go back to how it was mid-WOTLK (10/25 seperate) but no lockouts seem terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    human psychology lesson number one -

1.1 Human beings are goal striving beings
    1.2 Creating a desirable object
    1.3 Inject this object into an intermitent reward system
    1.4 Lock this reward into a 1 week cycle
    1.5 Create a subscription to the intermitent reward system
    1.6 Watch people get addicted to chasing a goal that can never be reached
    1.7 Profit like you've never profited before and laugh at all the addicts who cant understand why they cant stop playing
    Like anyone cares about gear (reward system). Killing something you've wiped to for weeks with friends is the only reason to raid (besides srsbsnsworldfirsts but not many people do that). What is this thread about again?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thickasabrick31 View Post
    Like anyone cares about gear (reward system). Killing something you've wiped to for weeks with friends is the only reason to raid (besides srsbsnsworldfirsts but not many people do that). What is this thread about again?
    Are you serious? Everyone cares about gear. Paragon said in a live raid recently everyone cares about gear.

Everyone cares about gear.

Not everyone admits it.

Deleted
    People would finish the raid and get all the loot within a week or two and spend the rest of the patch complaining that there's nothing to do and that blizz doesn't produce enough content.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Are you serious? Everyone cares about gear. Paragon said in a live raid recently everyone cares about gear.
    I never thought I cared about gear, but if Paragon said I do, then I guess I do.

Gear = Tool to kill bosses. Bosses != Tool to get gear. Thus, my goal is the slaying of pixels.
    If my goal was to stand in Stormwind looking down on lower progressed guilds, then maybe my goal would be gear.

And after seeing all game content in 1 or 2 weeks, they would stop their subscription fees.

EVERYTHING in this game is ALL about getting people addicted for as long as possible so that the profit stream maintains itself for as long as possible.

Also, gear is not the only intermitent reward in this game, and it is not the only reward system either. People spend countless months grinding faction rep. For what purpose?

The true goal is "character completion".

That is the goal that most people in this game do not even realise they are fruitlessy chasing.

---------- Post added 2011-09-17 at 10:56 AM ----------

Although you may think this to be true. It isnt.

If your goal was to slay pixels, then you would stop slaying pixels after you have slayed them.

The truth is that slaying pixels gives you reward, and it is this reward system that makes you compelled to repetitive pixel slaying behaviour.

A simpler way to say it is like this -

If your goal is to slay pixels, why do you repeatedly perform this behaviour week after week after week, when you have already achieved your goal?

The answer is because your mind has been programmed to trick you. Pixel slaying is not your goal.
    Actually no, you need to slay the pixels repeatedly to obtain the gear needed to slay the next wave of pixels. I don't give a shit about gear past the point where it allows me to perform and function in end-game raids, if I didn't need gear for that I wouldn't bother with it. The way the game works means that gearing a character is essential to downing raid bosses, thus I collect gear. Not for it's own sake but because doing so allows me access to the content I am interested in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Although you may think this to be true. It isnt.

If your goal was to slay pixels, then you would stop slaying pixels after you have slayed them.

The truth is that slaying pixels gives you reward, and it is this reward system that makes you compelled to repetitive pixel slaying behaviour.

A simpler way to say it is like this -

If your goal is to slay pixels, why do you repeatedly perform this behaviour week after week after week, when you have already achieved your goal?

The answer is because your mind has been programmed to trick you. Pixel slaying is not your goal.
    What? LOL. Ok, well first thank you for telling me why I do what I do.

Second, I continue to eliminate the pixel threat to the pixel world because I enjoy playing with my friends... I have yet to earn the Heroic Ragnaros kill. While I will say it's true, we do make sure we kill Heroic Bosses we've had on farm every week because of the possibility of it dropping upgrades, its because we feel the upgrade will help us in our goal to full clear heroic firelands.

If the discussion on vent was:

"Hey should we kill Heroic Shannox or just skip to give us more time on Heroic Beth'tilac?"

And the response from the Mage/Warlock was:
    "Oh my gosh, we can't skip Heroic Shannox, the boots he drops are simply fabulous looking"

Then I'd agree with you. However, our goal as a guild is not to collect loot, it's not to show off in Stormwind that we're better Raiders than anyone else, and I don't think I've ever sat staring at my character in awe at my character select screen. I've played World of Warcraft to have fun since Vanilla. Most of my raid consists of people I've played with for 3-4 years. I've gone to Blizzcon for the last 3 years and have tickets again this year. Not because I care about loot, but because hanging out with friends and trying to achieve goals that are provided with raiding is a hobby of mine, that I would probably rank behind only sex, sports, and fitness... and maybe eating fettuccine alfredo.

You are right, the truth about slaying pixels is that it gives me a reward, you're just wrong about what the reward is. We downed Heroic Rhyolith at the beginning of August, after (sadly) over 100 attempts of trying to figure out how to spread our DPS. Between then and a few weeks ago, we had to replace a Shadow Priest who cancelled their account, a Holy Paladin who cancelled their account, and a Resto Shaman who cancelled their account. Most fights we used 2 healers, so we basically our heal team in the last month. We had been 9 manning it for 2 weeks and finally got a full group situated again (our rogue had to make his resto druid his main and we recruited). Our first night of working on Heroic Alysrazor, we downed her. The following week we 2 shot her. While yes, gear was distributed out to people in order to help us progress further, the reward was feeling the thrill of accomplishing something. Now we're on to the next boss, not for the loot, but for the challenge and the sense of accomplishment that comes once we overcome that challenge.

Don't worry, you might think you know why other people do what they do, but it's just your mind playing tricks on you, you really don't know shit. It may very well be the case as to why 40% of the WoW population Raids, it may be why you do. But just because some people raid for gear doesn't mean it's why everyone raids for gear. Even Paragon is likely still raiding for the sole purpose of upgrades to make their team stronger heading into tier 13. If it was all about how one looks, every warlock would have quit playing during tier 11.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritalian View Post
    I never thought I cared about gear, but if Paragon said I do, then I guess I do.

Gear = Tool to kill bosses. Bosses != Tool to get gear. Thus, my goal is the slaying of pixels.
    If my goal was to stand in Stormwind looking down on lower progressed guilds, then maybe my goal would be gear.
    Which means you still care about gear, just like everyone else who plays this game. It's not something to be ashamed of, but you're in denial if you say you don't care for it.

---------- Post added 2011-09-17 at 05:19 PM ----------

human psychology lesson number one -

1.1 Human beings are goal striving beings
    1.2 Creating a desirable object
    1.3 Inject this object into an intermitent reward system
    1.4 Lock this reward into a 1 week cycle
    1.5 Create a subscription to the intermitent reward system
    1.6 Watch people get addicted to chasing a goal that can never be reached
    1.7 Profit like you've never profited before and laugh at all the addicts who cant understand why they cant stop playing
    You forgot 1.8: Realize you were that addict all along.

Deleted
    You have no control of your in-game behaviour.

The only thing you have control over is whether to participate or not.
    I think you need a break.

What would happen is you clear the easy farm bit of the raid. Loot everything. Reset. Clear again. Reset. Clear again. You've now maxed the gear of all your members for the progress raids.

The only reason you do progress raids in the gear you've got is because you can't improve it. Why would a guild that is stuck wipe against Rag norm, when they could max out all their gear and have a much larger advantage when fighting him.

Same happens on HMs. Halfus drops the heroic chest piece and he's easy. Okay kill, reset, kill, reset, kill, reset. Now everyone has their gear.

What happens next though is that clearing through all the bosses that you've already farmed to max is a chore. Instead you partition Blizz to let you skip straight to the boss you want. Before you know it, you're in a situation where you just do a single boss repeatedly until its been completely looted and there's no variation in the week.

You're not going to have players dying from the game. But you will have players getting bored since gearing up is too fast.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Yeah. The number 1 reason for lock-outs is to make content last longer. With out the lock-outs people would burn through the content far to quickly and be bored. It works ok for the DF because you can't control were you go and in the end it is only an intermediate step to raiding and not the end goal of most.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    So you're saying raids reset like normal dungeons?

People would get bored very quickly. Or get burnt out.

They made those 1 week lockouts/resets for a reason, lol.
    This. If people were able to farm the same raids everyday, they would get burnt very quickly. Even the most devoted WoW player would likely take a break eventually.

I think there would end up being que timers to get into instances because of the volume of ppl trying to get in or currently running them! Instances are all on separate "Instance" servers and are likely divided up by region! So you would have so many people trying to get into instances that we would likely end up waiting for a que similar to df only difference being you already have a full group! and as another poster said "Burn-Out" would happen very fast!