Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Discipline or Holy for noobies?

I have a shadow priest , and I want to try healing for a change . I have no experience as healer . What should I go for holy or disc ?

Deleted
    In my opinion holy is easier, but disc is more rewarding, this is from a raiding standpoint.

If you are new to healing I'd go holy, lots easier to learn and lots easier in 5mans where disc can be a bit of a challenge at times.

Deleted
    Either spec works. I'm assuming we're talking about 5 mans here, and in that case I'd suggest playing Discipline as Holy's Chakra system can be a bit overwhelming for new players, where as with Discipline you just throw penance, shields and heals.

Deleted
    They are both about the same in terms of complexity etc. The big thing with disc is that you have to time your PW:Shield to get a rapture proc every 12 seconds as your main source of mana regen. Chakra (holy) is IMO easy to learn.

Thing i missed the most when going from holy to disc was an oh-shit button to save the tank with.

Edit: After playing disc for a couple of months now, I consider it being the stronger spec and i think most others do aswell. That's for raiding though.
    Last edited by mmoc1b009d603f; 2011-09-17 at 12:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you decide to start with Holy, we have a couple of guides which are great to help you learn:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...(for-Beginners!)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ng-Guide-(4.2)

There will be some overlap, of course. Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    None of the specs is objectively easier. I prefer Holy and play it better, but there are a lot of Priests who excel at Discipline.
    They're actually pretty even in power level, but the raiding content is currently more suited for Discipline.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Disc can be a bit punishing to learn in a five man as opposed to holy in my opinion.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    They're actually pretty even in power level, but the raiding content is currently more suited for Discipline.
    I, along with quite a few others, would disagree with this. Holy could really do with some buffs for 4.3, although I find it much more comfortable to heal with in 5 mans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy is somewhat similar to a resto druid with the added perk of Chakra, and knowing when and how to use it correctly. I enjoy Disc more, but I am a unique crafted individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Adeodatus View Post
    Disc can be a bit punishing to learn in a five man as opposed to holy in my opinion.
    I'd agree with that. Holy doesn't have to worry about trying to time Rapture, or making use of every single tool that Discipline has in its arsenal while still being fully functional.

The skillcap for Discipline is higher, so when just trying to "get a feel" for healing, worrying only about health bars and the other side of mechanics, Holy is friendlier to the fresh healer.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I love holy, but in my raid group I play disc.

I think Holy is easier in 5mans once you have decent gear (spirit regen) and you get the feel for it. Disc probably has a simpler "rotation" but I think holy has more tools, which make it easier in that 5man situation.

It does take a bit of getting used to though (I found), so read the guides and i'd reccomend having a go and both and seeing what you like more.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Holy is somewhat similar to a resto druid with the added perk of Chakra, and knowing when and how to use it correctly. I enjoy Disc more, but I am a unique crafted individual.
    Resto Druids basically have all the tools a Holy Priest with Chakra does, without having to switch between a Chakra. Efflorescence is their HW: Sanctuary, Swiftmend is their HW: Serenity, Tranq beats Hymn, they don't need to be in Sanctuary Chakra to have their Rejuv heal for a decent amount, etc. Going off-topic here though.

Deleted
    disc is easier to learn imo,

10+ Year Old Account
    In 5 mans you'll have alot less stress as holy.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Disc if you want to PvP
    Holy if you want to PvE

Pretty much sums it up, you could try and mix it up though.

Speaking from personal experience, I'd say Holy, though it's not like Discipline is terribly complicated. Perhaps try both out for a short while and see what you take a liking to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warhead0 View Post
    Disc if you want to PvP
    Holy if you want to PvE

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warhead0 View Post
    Disc if you want to PvP
    Holy if you want to PvE

In your, incorrect, opinion*

i recommend trying out both specs.
    playstyle of disc and holy differs by a lot, both are viable, so i think it is best to try each of them and decide which 'kind of healing' fits you better.

you didnt mention what kind of gear you have on your priest, holy is usually found to be a bit less gear-dependand at the beginning of gearing at level 85, so perhaps it would be easier and more pleasant to start with holy spec.

Deleted
    ok guys tanks for your advices . I` didn`t mention but it`s obvious that it`s for 5 man dung , i wouldn`t dare raid untill I get the hang of it .I`ll probably try both an see which one i`m more confortable with . i`ll start with holy considerig that it got more votes