Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Minecraft Custom Map Ideas

I have been playing around with the Minecraft creative mode and I want to try and make my first custom map, problem is I am having a thought block on what I could do, could anyone help me with some ideas please?

honestly, just start with making a big evil city and a big good city.
    The story will just come to you, it did with mine.

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    um, if you any good with redstone, make puzzle maps...i love puzzle maps.

Deleted
    normaly in minecraft the buildorder is:
    basic house*
    foodfarm*
    monsterfarm*
    castle
    village
    something from videogames, like orgrimmar, or an village from another game
    and so on....

* = only in survival

10+ Year Old Account
    try and come up with your baseline story straight away. i have been working on mine for months and have had to move countless areas with mcedit and try and get puzzles i had previously created to fit the situation
    Your speaker volume BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    if you're near a lot of water build a giant boat
    maybe make a flying airship / zepplin floating above the ground

to be a bit more specific, I want to create something simple like a puzzle map or a simple version of the type of custom maps the Yogcast do if you happen to watch them ^^

make a clue hunt map like i did, here's a link to it so you could get an idea of what i mean

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...1#entry7505382
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

Just started it about 10 mins ago, dont know why but I started with entrance to a giant stone pyramid, so thinking a bunch of puzzles to get from room to room collecting diamonds. Would it be a simple enough task for a first timer you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by Millennía View Post
    Just started it about 10 mins ago, dont know why but I started with entrance to a giant stone pyramid, so thinking a bunch of puzzles to get from room to room collecting diamonds. Would it be a simple enough task for a first timer you reckon?
    If you watch lots of custom map videos on youtube - try to remember what they stood out for and try not to copy it 100% (you should really keep that in mind because it's easier than you think to copy an idea you saw somewhere without knowing it) - it's perfectly fine to get inspirations from other custom map authors. If you can create a working, playable (i.e. not "what am I supposed to do??") map that has some nice twists to stand out you will do pretty well.
    Don't start to big because big projects can get frustrating if you've just started. Test your map properly.

Also remember to put the gold quest markers over all your important note chests

Important: Beware the Enderman, afaik you can create relatively save areas with stone slabs, but unless you design your map for peaceful (100% puzzle) I guess it can get pretty annoying with them until something is done about their griefing.
    Last edited by Samin; 2011-09-17 at 10:09 PM.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Question, how long should a decent custom puzzle map be? time wise
    Last edited by Millennía; 2011-09-17 at 10:57 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    hide dispensers filled with arrows behind walls to go off if u trip a power switch connected w redstone since arow travel thru the block right next to disp:

so itll shoot at the player when trigger, similar to indana jones tomb
    make sure dispenser is facing other block / plate

Been working on it for a couple of hours today and last night, so thought I would add some screenshots of my progress:

This is the entrance area:

The first room. There are 2 doors that both lead to a fire challenge but only 1 gives a reward. To find the right room, the player has to read the riddle and pick the door that that represents what they think the right answer is.

The Fire Challenge:

Next challenge. The player is provided with some crafting materials that they need to use to get up onto the right side platform and then across to the chest that contains a diamond and a lever to open the door to what will be a maze when I make it

Inside shot of the room 2, the big open space will be a maze that players need to navigate through to get to then next part which is undecided at this point :P

Not to bad for a first attempt at this kind of thing I think, any opinions of its current state and challenge ideas are appreciated. This is all created with just Minecraft Creative Mode, no special mods or the such.
    Last edited by Millennía; 2011-09-18 at 01:02 PM.

Deleted
    This is a great looking Custom map! I am thinking of making one too, and I hope too make it as good as yours so far!

And, if you want, I could test it out when your done.

One question also, if you make a custom map on creative, how do you change it to Survival? Do you know?

10+ Year Old Account
    might be a good idea to do some adventure/puzzle maps to get some inspiration.
    Also finding someone to help really increase the fun factor and makes it less likely that you run out of ideas
    I made my adventure map on a local server with my brother
    Youtube Channel
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minecraft Map: Valley of Ages(map is out of date)

i really like playing adventure maps so i decided i want to make one, but the problem is i have no ideas what my adventure map could be about... can people give me some ideas and if i like them,i will build the adventure map and will put your name at the end of the map, when its finished i will post it in the minecraft forums so everyone can download! hope i find a good idea, i´m really looking forward to building my own map so everyone can download...

Quote Originally Posted by Millennía View Post
    I have been playing around with the Minecraft creative mode and I want to try and make my first custom map, problem is I am having a thought block on what I could do, could anyone help me with some ideas please?
    MAKE A CASTLE OF GLASS AROUND A LAKE OF FIRE!

lol

it's funny to watch the invading forces fall into the lava traps under you.

Deleted
    You can make rollercoasters, killing maxhines, giant vehicles... as I do If you want I can show what I build.

Deleted
    Make Nuketown from Black Ops 2

I make maps in singleplayer worlds. B-Cus I don't know how to publish them but do a map like this for meh. Have it start off where there are two ships in water, you swim to the other boat, kill the pirates, then the captain, then head back to your boat go to sleep (with a pressure pad with command block /effect 15 (blindness)) then you wake up (blindness goes away) and you're tp'ed to a place where the boat is at a dock in a village and you decide from there There you go!