FFVIII - shot in the dark

Well, I know this probably isn't the best place but this forums has always seemed to provide answers in the past so thought I would try again!

I recently dug out my old disks for Final Fantasy 8. Been trying to install, but the install won't start. Or the one time I did get it to start it stopped at 99%. I haven't been able to find a solution on google, but there seems to be pretty limited information in general for the install. I'm trying to get it to work on Windows 7.

I've tried various compatibility and running as admin.

Whoever, can help me will be my hero forever!

EDIT: Ok, I got it installed. But now I'm crashing toward the end of the opening cinematic.
    Last edited by Artunias; 2011-09-18 at 05:16 AM.

That game was designed to run on Windows 95/98. Those weren't NT based as Windows XP/Vista/7 are. You may have more luck running it through a DOS emulator since the game was (most likely) run through DOS as most PC games in that generation were before XP.

The most popular DOS emulator at the moment is DOSbox.

http://www.dosbox.com/
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Well after many trials and errors I got it to work. I'll leave a brief description in case anyone else wants to revisit one of the greatest games of all time

It seems having google chrome open for whatever reason halts it's install process. Why? I have no idea. But as long as that was closed it would install.

You then have to download the 1.2 patch. (there is a seperate patch for Geforce drivers)

In the config you need to have it set to software render, and don't download any custom config launchers. That seemed to mess everything up. Run the game in Windows XP SP3 compatibility as admin and everything should work just fine.

I had this problem also.

Don't have google chrome open while installing was the solution I found, and it worked.