Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Computer Overheating at 55 C - Please help

On the front of my case, is this screen, that shows CPU temp/fan speed/time. Now whenever it reaches 55, it beeps like crazy and drives me insane.
    and i have no idea on how to stop it.
    I have to take my case off to not let it go over 55. This is 55c at idle.

Any ideas on how to stop it beeping?
    My specs are;
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200
    9800 GT,
    Mobo is gigabyte something. Cant remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurredd View Post
    I do them naked

and I'm not talking about my character

At idle? Reseat your CPU cooler and reapply thermal paste. That chip shouldn't be idling over 40C even with the stock cooler.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    At idle? Reseat your CPU cooler and reapply thermal paste. That chip shouldn't be idling over 40C even with the stock cooler.
    40c on idle is pretty unrealistic for core 2 quads (on air). Sounds like you're throwing numbers around from core i processors.

Tjunc max for the 8k series is 100c.

@OP - Your temps are fine if the chip is under load. If you're edging above 55 on idle, you're probably getting around... 80+ on load. That's OK, but it's on the high side of the spectrum. Check that your heatsink fan is running correctly and make sure the heatsink isn't clogged with dust. If that all checks out OK, then you probably just need to apply new thermal paste.
    Last edited by glo; 2011-09-18 at 07:31 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    I would say something is wrong with your CPU heatsink.

If you haven't applyed a new layer of thermal compound for a long time, it might be time to.

Also, since it's an intel CPU (I guess you're using your stock cooler) make sure you installed it correctly. I was doing a mistake of not pushing it in hard enough last week when installing my new motherboard and ended up with a 80 degrees hot CPU for a few seconds. Luckily I discovered the error and could safely install it properly.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    40c on idle is pretty unrealistic for core 2 quads (on air). Sounds like you're throwing numbers around from core i processors.

Tjunc max for the 8k series is 100c.
    My Q9300 idles at 39C. It is an aftermarket cooler, though. 55C is too damn high regardless.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    As Nellah said, repaste the heatsink. Might help. That is, if the cooler is actually working *lulz*

Quote Originally Posted by Fullblod View Post
    If you haven't applyed a new layer of thermal compound for a long time, it might be time to.
    If the HSF is installed properly you shouldn't have to replace the TIM very often(realistically you shouldn't ever have to replace it), that said definitely make sure the fans are working, if they are removing the Heatsink and replacing the TIM might do the trick.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay thanks guys. i will go get some more thermal paste
    I do them naked

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    My Q9300 idles at 39C. It is an aftermarket cooler, though. 55C is too damn high regardless.
    9k series runs cooler than 8k did. Tjunc max on those were 90-95c depending on the source.

I think it's important to note that you can't take one series of processors and apply their median temperatures to any other line. Between architecture, the die, number of cores, clock rate, etc... it will always vary from model to model by too large of a margin.
    Last edited by glo; 2011-09-18 at 07:47 AM.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so i cleaned out the cpu fan and what not.
    Still waiting on the CPU temps to appear, but when i first turned it on, it mad a buzzing noise for a few seconds, and the fan is loader. So not sure if thats good or bad :/
    I do them naked

Quote Originally Posted by TheDiscPriest View Post
    Okay so i cleaned out the cpu fan and what not.
    Still waiting on the CPU temps to appear, but when i first turned it on, it mad a buzzing noise for a few seconds, and the fan is loader. So not sure if thats good or bad :/
    What did you clean it with? Did you hold it in place while you did so?

build pics

Ignoring the high idle temps, is the beeping coming from your motherboard speaker? Are you using any software to monitor temps? Have you recently changed any bios settings?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    i took it off the mobo and cleaned it out with compressed air. put it back on and yeah started buzzing.
    actually, it could also be the hardrive, but i didnt touch it
    Last edited by TheDiscPriest; 2011-09-19 at 06:58 AM.
    I do them naked

To protect your PC from overheating check that you’re PC fans should be clean and do not have any dust. Also check that fans are working properly. The heat sink has a factory thermal pad should be properly connected with CPU.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah it should be on the right. the noise does seem to be from the hard drive though.
    I do them naked

Quote Originally Posted by TheDiscPriest View Post
    yeah it should be on the right. the noise does seem to be from the hard drive though.
    Does it make the noise while sitting in the Bios? If so disconnect the hard drive and power the system on, if the sound goes away you found the problem and should probably look at backing up the drive. If the sound continues repeat the steps with your CD/DVD drives and any case fans.