Deleted

A noob buying a new PC, need help

Hello everyone. I need some advice from people that have some good knowledge about PCs. I am a complete noob when it comes to computers, that's why I need your help. The computer I am currently looking at:

Computer: i7-2600K 3.4GHz 8GB DDR3 2TB HDD HD Graphics ASGARD 5760K
    • Processor Intel Core i7 - 2600K
    • 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB)
    • Hard drive WD 2,0TB / 7.200 spins
    • DVDRW +/-
    • MSI H67MA-E35
    • Intel HD Graphics Dynamic Frequency
    • USB3.0, SATA-3 (6Gb/s)
    • sound card: 8 kanalna 7.1
    • LAN 10/100/1000 (G-LAN)
    • Housing: ATX ASGARD
    • power supply HKC USP5550

Cost: 700€

Since I am buying this computer in Slovenia, the translations are rough, no sure if "spins" is the right word to use there. I would like to ask, how good is this computer really? Will it last me for like, let's say, 3-4 years? Are there any parts that could be better (for instance the graphic card?) - since I have the option to pay extra and also get better parts. Please, help me out. Thank you.

If only I could green text 4chan style..

That rig has an integrated graphics card, which is HORRID for gaming, if you're on a budget go for a Geforce 470.

get a better graphics card and get a 700 watt power supply the processor is great, maybe get 16gb of ram, if you can do it. everything else looks good. with 16gb and that processor it should last 3-5 years

Quote Originally Posted by kudrel View Post
    get a better graphics card and get a 700 watt power supply the processor is great, maybe get 16gb of ram, if you can do it. everything else looks good. with 16gb and that processor it should last 3-5 years
    I will agree with the power supply swap from the start. The ram however is something you can deal with later if your working on a budge.

Also yes, do not use an integrated graphics card for gaming. However, make sure if you are buying a board with one, having the intent on adding a card, you add a card which is by the same type as what is integrated. IE, don't add a ATX card to a board which has Nvidia on board. It can be done but it's a real pain in the ass for someone who is inexperienced.

spins means rounds per minute or per second i think and greetings to my southern neighbor country from styria.
    and yep go 650 watt power supply + a dedicated graphics card capable of direct x11. for cheap, i can recommend a ati 5700 series or geforce 470.

if u got money left, aim for an additional ssd hard drive. they are extremly fast. its like going from a 56k modem to firewire
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2011-09-19 at 03:54 AM.

Spins can be translated into "rotations per minute" or RPM

Quote Originally Posted by kudrel View Post
    16GB of RAM? What the hell are you doing that takes that much RAM. 6GB is more than enough for anything out.

Deleted
    I'm not really on a budget, I can squeeze in another 400€ or something. So tell me, which graphics card do you recommend? What does the power supply affect? And also, is 16gb ram really necesary?

Quote Originally Posted by SaranethSlo View Post
    I'm not really on a budget, I can squeeze in another 400€ or something. So tell me, which graphics card do you recommend? What does the power supply affect? And also, is 16gb ram really necesary?
    6-8gig of ram is perfectly fine. However, since the cost difference is usually minimal between the two I would go with 8gig which should hold you over for a good while.

As far as video cards go, as long as it is directx11 and a 1gig it gets almost down to preference and how much you want to spend. Most people will never use SLI dual video card setups unless they are doing video editing so just find a mid-range and you'll be good. Video cards are always easy to update over time.