Recommended Paste/cooler

I had a cooler 13 in my pc and I dunno which paste I bought.

I read somewhere because of how they install it can be tricky to get max effect with them, so I took the fan off, have done for a few other things before and it didnt go back on too clever.

Short version, can anyone recommend a decent fan/cooler and paste
    Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you have a 2500k, depending on your budget I'd get: Coolermaster Hyper 212+, Corsair A70, Thermaltake Frio and Noctua NH-D14 (in order of ascending cost). Most of them come with a tube of thermal paste, so no nheed to buy a new one, unless you have temperature problems.

Deleted
    the scythe mugen 2 rev B is also a valid option. Tho its a bitch to install

15+ Year Old Account
    Zkeya's recommendations are solid.

Thermal paste is incredibly overrated though, just use what comes with the cooler you get. As long as you use SOMETHING, you get pretty much the same benefit as the highest of the high end pastes.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Thermal paste is incredibly overrated though, just use what comes with the cooler you get. As long as you use SOMETHING, you get pretty much the same benefit as the highest of the high end pastes.
    Well, some of the really expensive pastes (40$ and maybe more) lower the temps and you can go as far as using sandpaper on the CPU's surface (there was a thread about it, but I don't remember the exact word for the process)..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    Well, some of the really expensive pastes (40$ and maybe more) lower the temps and you can go as far as using sandpaper on the CPU's surface (there was a thread about it, but I don't remember the exact word for the process)..
    Yeah, but the difference is around 3-5 degrees maximum (usually less than that). The end result is the $40 was probably better spent towards an i7 or a better GPU.

Exception would be a super srs bsns overclocker, I suppose.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quite a variation in price there, thanks though its given me a good guide.

Im only looking to push around 4.5k at an absolute max 5k OC, I read after that it gets messy. Ill see what 'they' say about those

By time I get to doing those types of overclock, ill have a better processor again.

This month is cooler/fan and chair, next month is maybe case, large drive for raid or bigger SSD

Gunna wait for the next set of motherboards to come out, and maybe some info on the next gen

If you do get a hyper 212+ i would buy a separate paste, i am pretty sure it comes with a ceramic based paste and i would rather just spend 6-7 bucks on AS5 and avoid using a ceramic based paste.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to politely sort of disagree with Simca, I've never been a big fan of the paste that comes with coolers, but some companies do give you quality paste. I don't think Cooler Master gives a quality paste, so you may want to look into buying some for $5-10 extra. On the other hand, my Zalman CNPS 9900 came with this Zalman stuff and I was like, bah! I'll just use this Cooler Master stuff I bought 8 months ago. My temperatures were horrible, after trying it one or two more times, I decided to give the Zalman stuff a shot, holy good God! Took my temps down BY A LOT. So here's where it matters, and when you know you need to get some other paste, if it is old. The chemicals will begin to not work as intended, so always be sure you replace old thermal paste, might as well trash the old stuff. I think it really comes down to the brand cooler you get and if they actually give you something that is quality, I looked up the stuff online that came with my Zalman, and there were extremely rave reviews for it, and I am very happy to this day with it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

When it comes to coolers and paste, i couldnt really say, its prolly my weakest area of puter knowledge. But, I suppose its same as most things you get a steady increase for amount spent and that gradually flat lines to, till you get to your serious OC's

... I forgot to say that was easy to install too