Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    To be honest, if you get a cpu that will work with your motherboard, it will take even less time than that.
    What do you mean?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    What do you mean?
    H/P67 and Z68 motherboards will supposedly be compatible with Ivy Bridge cpus. So gives you an idea on your upgradability later on.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

H/P67 and Z68 motherboards will supposedly be compatible with Ivy Bridge cpus. So gives you an idea on your upgradability later on.
    I think he's confused along the same lines as I am; Suggesting that his CPU doesn't match motherboard, and saying it is quicker to install than an SSD. So I am, as well, curious what you're actually trying to say

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I think he's confused along the same lines as I am; Suggesting that his CPU doesn't match motherboard, and saying it is quicker to install than an SSD. So I am, as well, curious what you're actually trying to say
    Sorry, Yeah, I see how it was confusing. Your cpu/motherboard is fine now. I'm just comparing that in the future as far as upgrades go, a storage solution like a SSD or a new system drive is by far more time consuming than say, upgrading a compatible cpu. In fact, setting that up is one of the most time consuming things you can do to you computer since it's all limited by the actual 'setup' of moving system files or ghosting it from one to another. Less so with a SSD, but compared to removing a cpu, putting the new one and replacing the HSF...which will be less time than the 'hour' you're suggesting the whole SSD solution later on will be.
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-09-19 at 09:41 PM.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

actually, I read it as "your cpu doesn't work with your motherboard, if you get a better one installing an SSD will be faster"

Makes no sense to me...

---------- Post added 2011-09-19 at 09:43 PM ----------

I reinstalled windows the other day, all in all took me 2 hours, most of it was installation.

It takes me under 10 minutes to install windows 7 x64 to my SSD from my usb thumbdrive.

OP, you would be fine with the 2500K and personally I'd put some of that extra money into upgrading the PSU or video card.

10+ Year Old Account
    I reinstalled windows the other day, all in all took me 2 hours, most of it was installation.
    How long do you think it takes to remove a cpu+HSF, and put in a new cpu+hsf?

10+ Year Old Account
    How long do you think it takes to remove a cpu+HSF, and put in a new cpu+hsf?
    Depends if your case's CPU-cut-out hole matches nicely with your socket. Mine doesn't so I have to unplug everything, take the whole mobo out, unmount the cooler, put a new cooler on, screw the mobo back into the case and wire it all up again with cable management.
    I'd take me close to an hour.

If the CPU-cut-out matches then you're in luck, you should be able to simply remove the old cooler and put a new one in without having to do anything more.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I still don't see why the time it takes to change a processor would be relevant, it'd be pretty much throwing away money to buy a new cpu next week, while it doesn't throw away money to wait to buy an SSD

Deleted
    So I'm buying a new PC, went to the store (how old-fashioned ) and after a lengthy discussion we worked out the following would be good:
    I was wondering if anyone here wants to call me a moron for one or more of these choices:

Intel Processor Core i7-2600K, s1155

Sapphire Videocard Radeon 6870 VAPOR-X,1GB

Asus Motherboard P8P67 B3,s1155

Corsair memory Vengeance DDR3,1600-8GB KIT

2X LG TFT Monitor 23" E2370V-BF IPS-Panel

Cooler Master Case Centurion 5 II

Cooler Master PSU Real Power 620W 3SLI,PI,Active,PVC,Modula <-- 2 years old but should be just fine
    I'll address this properly.

The i7 2600k is a waste for you, it has 8 threads. We're not going to have games in 3 years with 8 threads. In 3 years the 2600k will be outdated and at mid range performance. I say this because of the next point.

Cheaping out on the GPU. Really? A 6870 for dual monitors? Seriously, just get a 560ti or 6950 2gb and an i5 2500k, the i5 has almost the exact same FPS in gaming.

In reference to the SSD, sure you can keep a 6870 and stick in a good SSD. Saves a lot of time if you turn your PC on an off or if you stick one or two games on it.

PSU seems alright, but seeing as it's two years old it's most likely out of warranty, I'm getting a new PSU in winter build just for peace of mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I5 is better for gaming, also cheaper, so you get the best of both world. Just because "OMFGZ BIGGER #'z!!" Doesn't mean its better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post
    I5 is better for gaming, also cheaper, so you get the best of both world. Just because "OMFGZ BIGGER #'z!!" Doesn't mean its better.
    No, i5 "isn't worse" rather than "is better". Meaning, the i7 is a pointless upgrade for pure gaming.
    &nbsp;