Thread: Apache Tomcat

Apache Tomcat

Righto, seems like I am a regular person asking way too many questions, but I think this community is great and thus is why I keep returning to this.

I would like to ask you all wise men about Apache Tomcat, Can someone point me to comprehensive Apache Tomcat 101 so to speak, where it explains what it is, what does it do, how to set it up and such.

Why? I need to learn how to use and run tomcat so any help would be welcome. I did some googling, but all terminology is bit new to me, (thats why I need proper 101), wikipedia didn't really explain it - just said its a servlet (what does that mean?).

So Im complete noob to it, but I am willing and in need of learning of Tomcat.

Any help would be nice.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    Righto, seems like I am a regular person asking way too many questions, but I think this community is great and thus is why I keep returning to this.

I would like to ask you all wise men about Apache Tomcat, Can someone point me to comprehensive Apache Tomcat 101 so to speak, where it explains what it is, what does it do, how to set it up and such.

Why? I need to learn how to use and run tomcat so any help would be welcome. I did some googling, but all terminology is bit new to me, (thats why I need proper 101), wikipedia didn't really explain it - just said its a servlet (what does that mean?).

So Im complete noob to it, but I am willing and in need of learning of Tomcat.

Any help would be nice.
    Your first step is learning the Java programming language. Tomcat (in layman's terms) is a container for server code to run inside of.

Not to sound rude, but you don't sound programming / network / engineering savvy. Tomcat isn't something people typically "need" to learn on a whim. What made you want to learn it?
    Last edited by glo; 2011-09-20 at 01:19 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

nm, you can delete this, stupid google filter...lol for some reason in my office its only displays certain pages... got it sorted.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"