Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Windows 8 Discussion

There is so much about Windows 8 that really irks me. Like in many ways it's ripping off apple, it's pretty much giving desktop and laptop users the bird with it's UI that's built for tablets and phones. If I wanted my computer to look and work like a tablet, I'll buy a fucking tablet.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ws-windows-8/1

Windows 8 Download
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Windows 8 Tweaks
    Enable the old start menu

FAQ
    A lot of questions are answered in this article.

Q: Can I turn off Metro?
    A: Yes.
    Last edited by chaud; 2011-09-19 at 06:20 PM.
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

You realize it's going to have both UIs built in so you can use what is essentially the Windows 7 UI, right? Heck, play around with it enough and I'm sure you could end up with the XP UI if you really wanted to. Also, the Windows Phone 7 UI(or the UI you're bitching about) is way better than the iOS UI.
    Last edited by blackangel209; 2011-09-14 at 03:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one said you had to buy Windows 8. Personally I think it looks great.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackangel209 View Post
    You realize it's going to have both UIs built in so you can use what is essentially the Windows 7 UI, right? Heck, play around with it enough and I'm sure you could end up with the XP UI if you really wanted to. Also, the Windows Phone 7 UI(or the UI you're bitching about) is way better than the iOS UI.
    apparently, the good old standard "desktop" is an app, a fucking after thought. That doesn't make me feel any better.
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackangel209 View Post
    You realize it's going to have both UIs built in so you can use what is essentially the Windows 7 UI, right? Also, the Windows Phone 7 UI(or the UI you're bitching about) is way better than the iOS UI.
    That would require a little research you know.

If W8 is a better OS then W7 I'll switch, and if I dont like the tile system I'll just switch to whats basically a W7 UI. Having options within an OS is awesome aint it?

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 03:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    apparently, the good old standard "desktop" is an app, a fucking after thought. That doesn't make me feel any better.
    Why does it matter if it's just an app? If it works great it works great, if it doesn't use W7, Microsoft wont care, they get your money either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    i thought it was the other way around, desktops get a GUI similar to windows 7, while tablets get the "metro app",

Calm down bro, no need to go into a nerdrage over first impressions.

And since when does being an "app" mean that there's no effort put into it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    TBH my desktop is pretty minimalistic anyway so I'll give it a try it looks pretty interesting if all else fails revert back to the old UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Calm down bro, no need to go into a nerdrage over first impressions.

And since when does being an "app" mean that there's no effort put into it?
    ever since Microsoft sold their souls to the apple devil....

No really, to me it says to me that Microsoft doesn't care about the millions of desktop users out there anymore. Right now they are too concerned about the tablet market (to me are just toys for rich kids), they are right to do that of course, but they left their core users out in the cold in the process.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unveiling Windows 8 at the Build developers' conference in California, Windows division president Steven Sinofsky declared: "We re-imagined Windows. From the chipset to the user experience."

The system will function through one of two interfaces; a traditional desktop, similar to that seen in previous editions of Windows, and a tablet version, known as Metro.
    Way to rage over nothing?

Solomon grundy can't handle change rawr!

10+ Year Old Account
    In building Windows 8 we worked to enable Hyper-V, the machine virtualization technology that has been part of the last 2 releases of Windows Server, to function on the client OS as well.
    after reading that i can blindly ignore any and all faults windows 8 will have

1) It's a developer preview, not finalized
    2) Metro UI is actually quite nice on a smallish laptop
    3) Tablets are the future of computing, like it or not. See OS X Lion for proof of this.
    4) If you like the legacy UI, you can continue to use it in Win8. Mind blown.

Come back after you have used it. Crying about something after seeing one screenshot is a waste of everyone's time. It has significant flaws, like not being able to tap and drag with the mouse in the apps, but nothing like what you are complaining about. Apparently this is going to be another PR disaster because people complain about something without

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    after reading that i can blindly ignore any and all faults windows 8 will have
    Can you explain what that actually means to us laymen?

Well anything is better than a Mac OS... Cant be that bad you don't have to use all the new "app" shit. I will personally be turning of the telly-tubby land theme and running it in classic mode.

Not installing it because its "to modern" is dumb. Move with technology my friend.. if you didn't your still be writing letters instead of using e-mail etc...

Considering you're probably going to be playing games on an operating system optimized for a tablet PC... I don't see any drastic gaming improvements over Windows 7. It even uses the same kernel. The only improvements you will see are from slightly more free resources.

I've love to see how a tablet video card handles DX11 though. Razer's Switchblade may actually become a reality.

Last edited by Kaeleena; 2011-09-14 at 04:55 AM.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Come back after you have used it. Crying about something after seeing one screenshot is a waste of everyone's time. It has significant flaws, like not being able to tap and drag with the mouse in the apps, but nothing like what you are complaining about. Apparently this is going to be another PR disaster because people complain about something without
    Chaud, make like Boub and get out of this thread. Boub knows to stay out of whiner threads except to jump in every once in a while to wave his banpenis errr....I mean his ban hammer. DON'T GET SUCKED INTO THE MEDIOCRITY!

That said, I REALLY hope they don't go down that road because its very likely that most later iterations are going to completely remove the desktop. Its modernization of current software at its worst. Just sets a bad precedence despite, currently, providing options.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

With sales approaching 450 billion copies, Windows 7 has overtaken Windows XP.
    lol... 450 billion..

Deleted
    There's always OS X if you don't like windows 8...