Thread: SSD problem

10+ Year Old Account

SSD problem

I recently bought a 120GB Corsair Force GT. Its my main boot drive with all my applications etc.

A few times when I've left it on over night, I've woken up to a black screen with text (POST style) that says something along the lines of "No boot device found, please insert boot media and restart". If I restart, everything works fine.

I didn't update the firmware when I got it, since the site said only to update if you were having troubles. Would this solve my issues?
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Do you have any usb storage connected? If bios is selecting usb harddrives as first boot option this can happen.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    First you need to find out why your computer crashed in the first place. It crashed and lost the boot device on startup which could have been caused by whatever instigated the crash. It could be the SSD itself causing the crash or something else.

I would start with ensuring your MB Bios and SSD Firmware are up to date. Does windows indicate a improper shutdown when it does boot again after the crash? Check for any Windows dump files.

edit: Also double check all your connections to the drive. Heck I'd probably just swap sata cables with my optical drive to eliminate one possiblity.
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-09-21 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any USB drives or ODD connected at all. When I reboot, windows does show an improper shutdown, but is there any way to know what caused it?

The latest firmware update for the Corsair Force drives explicitly states that it will not work with a Marvell controller, which is the only SATAIII controller my P6X58D Premium has.
    Last edited by Skelly; 2011-09-21 at 06:10 PM.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    does your pc auto-sleep? some ssds have problems waking up from sleep, never had it myself but perhaps this is part of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I've found the culprit! While restarting after I updated the SSD firmware, I caught the initialization of the Marvell controller hanging. Once it timed out I got the "no boot device" error message. So now I've update those drivers and I'll come back to complain if the problem persists!

Deleted
    Did you solve your problem? Thinking hard about flashing to 1.3 (got 1.2 atm), but trying to get all infos I can before going through with it (sounds risky? :P)

I'm experiencing the exact same problem you're describing, though I'm pretty sure it's the SSD itself that's crashing the computer (after that message "insert proper boot device", the drive is not visible in BIOS anymore until I disconnect and then reconnect the drive). Only happens like once every 2 weeks though ... that's what I find weird. How often do you get those crashes?

Anyway, sorry for the semi-hijack - but if your problem's not solved yet, I thought 2 minds on a problem are better than 1

10+ Year Old Account
    I was getting the crashes every few days.. Its a compatability problem between the controller and drive for sure. The drive works fine on the other controller, and other drives work fine on the controller. Flashing to 1.3 didn't do anything at all for me.

Deleted
    Ok Thx a lot for the info ... so you're symptom-free now, ay? I'll definitely try the controller switching then ... also got a PM of another guy who said that updating firmware did the trick for him (like Synthaxx). But switching controllers might be the faster thing to try first
    Last edited by mmoc3a7771f827; 2011-09-25 at 10:39 AM. Reason: bad grammar ;)

Deleted
    Update (for those interested): flashed my MB with the newest firmware - still crashed (blue screens even this time), now I flashed my SSD as well to 1.3 and so far - for about 1 week now - no new crashes occured.