Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Our government actually performs better in many ways than it did in the past.
    Do you think the public sector pension system in, say, New Jersey, is sustainable? How about Rhode Island? Government performs, in many ways, much worse than they have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Do you think the public sector pension system in, say, New Jersey, is sustainable? How about Rhode Island? Government performs, in many ways, much worse than they have in the past.
    Man compared to some of the shit that happened in our past pension programs are small fries. We used to use military force against striking workers.

Deleted
    Are you really saying the property value crash can't be a consequence of the blight in this case because other things can cause property value crashes?
    No. I'm saying you can't pin the problem of fluctuating property values on malinvestments by the private sector. Any investments, good or bad, can have such effects. A bad investment can cause property values to go up or down, a good investment can cause property values to go up or down. In your anecdote it wasn't the success of the investment that was crucial, but how the investor handled the aftermath.

What if his investment had been successful, but it would still have caused lower property values because of the customers the mall attracts? Stuff like this happens, but it's not related to the fact that private, for-profit, investors also make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells
    i could literally write your arguments for you so its ok.
    Yeah more insults - always best to resort to them when you can't respond.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2011-09-22 at 10:25 PM.

Yeah more insults - always best to resort to them when you can't respond.
    Well since I have been responding your post would dictate that it was in fact not an insult I suppose.

I'm saying you can't pin the problem of fluctuating property values on malinvestments by the private sector.
    Wait wait wait. So when he bulldozes a block and leaves a dirt field full of weeds with a boarded up half built store in the middle and property values tank immediately after I can't link the two?

Even when property values in the rest of city were stable?

What if his investment had been successful, but it would still have caused lower property values because of the customers the mall attracts?
    But it didn't so its irrelevant.

So I guess my point stands. Waste in the private sector can effect people outside the immediate circle of involvement. So why do we single out government waste as so much more horrible?

10+ Year Old Account
    Times like these make me glad I qualify as a native American Indian, we don't have to pay taxes & the rez is not subject to American laws since we write our own & have our own government.

The US government is just full of idiots, selfish b@stards, & corrupt officials on both sides & none of them really care about the people who vote for them. I mean why should they when they all get campaign contributions from companies & wall street & repay them with fat government contracts while those companies continue to lay of Americans & care more about the cheap labor forces that they sent jobs overseas to or brought in themselves (or told to come up here) from down south.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Deleted
    Wait wait wait. So when he bulldozes a block and leaves a dirt field full of weeds with a boarded up half built store in the middle and property values tank immediately after I can't link the two?
    Yes, you can absolutely link those two. That's what I've been trying to communicate all the time. The problem is the aestathic appearance of his property, not how successful or unsuccessful he was. If he'd built a successful strip-bar there it could've lowered the value of the property as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells
    So I guess my point stands. Waste in the private sector can effect people outside the immediate circle of involvement. So why do we single out government waste as so much more horrible?
    Because governments waste alot more, and when they do waste, they don't get outcompeted. Yes, your evil contractor did not go out of business, but it put him that much closer to doing so. They're not even remotely the same. When a private investor fails, he bears most of the burden. When the government fails, everyone bears the burden.

You can't argue based on one anecdote that government waste is the same as private waste. The government wastes your money. The private investor wastes his. The property owner's money was not wasted in your anecdote.

You're still arguing the completely wrong point. Yes the market connects everyone. Yes every action, successful or not, can cause property values to go up or down. Just because it went down in your anecdote does not mean anything really.

Yes, you can absolutely link those two. That's what I've been trying to communicate all the time. The problem is the aestathic appearance of his property, not how successful or unsuccessful he was. If he'd built a successful strip-bar there it could've lowered the value of the property as well.
    So what? That isn't even close to relevant.

Because governments waste alot more, and when they do waste, they don't get outcompeted. Yes, your evil contractor did not go out of business, but it put him that much closer to doing so. They're not even remotely the same. When a private investor fails, he bears most of the burden. When the government fails, everyone bears the burden.
    And for good reason. When a business fails we aren't nearly as fucked as when a business fails.

You can't argue based on one anecdote that government waste is the same as private waste.
    I can indeed, unless you refuse to accept that private waste can effect people outside its origins. If you want to argue scale then go ahead, but functionally they're the same.

And for good reason. When a business fails we aren't nearly as fucked as when a government fails.
    So the importance of the stability of a government justifies wasteful spending? (Took some liberties with your post, hope I got it right)

I think we can have a stable and efficient government with much less waste by lessening it's responsibility.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-09-23 at 12:07 AM.

$16 muffins is misleading tbh. Catering is not cheap. As someone who's worked in catering, it HAS to be expensive or the people serving your food would get literally shit for pay (its already kind of low). Either way, its going back into the economy, and into the sector I work no less, so good deal there. Keep buying expensive shit and stimulating the economy gov't I'm all for it.

Deleted
    I can indeed, unless you refuse to accept that private waste can effect people outside its origins. If you want to argue scale then go ahead, but functionally they're the same.
    Private waste, private success, government waste, government success, all affects people outside its origins. But the investment is lost by the investors, not the surroundings. When government fails, the investment comes from the populations' pockets.

Look, if government had made the investment, the "innocent" population would've lost the invested money. Furthermore the property values would've gone down thanks to people not liking the visual looks of the outcome.

But because a private entepreneur with his own money made the bad investment, the innocent population did not lose the money. The property value still went down.

The other important thing is that the value of properties did not go down specifically because his investment failed, but because his property was ugly. People are allowed to build ugly properties (unless they have signed contract not to do so).
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2011-09-23 at 09:30 AM.

What about the bail out of the big car companies we had a while back? Those private companies are not going to pay us back in full....

I am pretty sure we can find wasteful spending on their end.

So the importance of the stability of a government justifies wasteful spending?
    Somewhat. We should always try to reduce it but we need to also accept that it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Don't forget all the PS3s Odumba gives away to foreign diplomats.
    100 PS3s is at most $50,000. I kinda doubt it was even that many.

About the muffins, they obviously didn't really cost $16 each, they cost $0.50 each and the rest of the money is going to alien coverups!
    *dons tinfoil hat*

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    You're always the johnny-come-lately that can't manage to do anything else than attack other's person, but never the argument.
    This post amused me. You're doing exactly what you accused him of doing.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2011-09-23 at 04:30 PM.