10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Boot issue, help required.

Hey guys.

Setup:

Motherboard: Asus p8p67 DELUXE (rev 3.0)
    CPU: Intel i5 2500 @ stock speeds, idle temps 25~30, load temps 38~45.
    Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 590 @ stock, temps 30~35, load 60~75.
    PSU: corsair HX750.
    Storage: 1 60gb SSD windows & essential programs drive.
    1 60gb SSD wow drive.
    1 2tb WD caviar black Fraps drive.
    1 1tb WD caviar green, games drive.

Problem:

When booting my computer, it turns on, fans spin, leds light up, motherboard checks RAM, GPU, Boot drive (leds light up to indicate this). However the computer never displays anything, my screen is on, and does NOT display a no signal error, and it maintains a powered on state, (if there was no signal it would go into low power state).
    My computer has been operating for 3 months with these exact parts, perfectly, and over a year before i changed from a GTX 570, and to a rev 3.0 motherboard, without issues.it

I am able to get past this issue, all i need to do is restart, or power on and off the computer several times and if i get lucky it will post/displays it posting.
    The issue also occurs when the computer switches of the screen after being idle, when i move the mouse or press keys on the keyboard the screen will switch from low power state to active, but display a black screen but i can notice a feint illumination, which indicates it does recognize my input and is turning on, just nothing gets displayed.
    My G19 screen allows me to monitor the cpu, ram and gpu stats and all the seem normal during the issue. No temp or usage issues.

What i have already tried:
    I tested all pci-e slots with the GTX 590, aswell as my GTX 570, i switched out all the ram sticks testing them each. Nothing worked.
    So far i can conclude that the GFX arnt the problem, the pci-e slots wernt the issue. Power supply works (GTX590 led system would indicate insufficient power).
    Im gonna try resetting the MOBO bios.

Anyone have any ideas?

Update:
    I finally got it turned on, and this time it sent me straight to BIOS (i hadnt reset the bios yet), the bios was reset automatically? (i assume this, as the date was changed to 1/1/2005), i continued to boot from my hard drive, which it did, no problems however allot of the icons on my task-bar (next to the clock, windows 7) are missing.

I have no idea what is going on, i have a feeling it might be my boot drive since windows 7 is acting iffy (missing icons, and running slower then usual), or it could be the Motherboard Bios, i have no idea. but if it is the boot drive, why would that mess with the monitor displaying anything? urgh this is a problem i have never come across, and have never heard about.

Update 2:
    Just came back from watching T.V, and my screen was turned to low power state thanks to windows niffy features, i moved my mouse to activate my monitor via an input, and i see facebook for a split second before my screen goes black again, the monitor maintains a powered on state, and my G19 LCD shows cpu usage is normal and so is RAM usage, and my GPU temps are 32* and usage is normal for what was running did a restart and booted normally, but am seriously dumbfounded as to what the problem can be.
    Last edited by shoebox; 2011-09-22 at 10:03 AM.

According to your descriptions here, I really have no clue about what went wrong.

Have you tried another monitor?

It seems like the G19 is saying the computer is up and running enough to start it's processes in windows7, and your monitor not properly turning on could be your issue. My wifes monitor does this, it's an old dell and about one time out of 10 tries it will actually turn on. Yeah i need to replace it 8(

Deleted
    This might not be related to desktop PC but my laptop screen did the same things a few times where the laptop is starting like normal but no display on the screen.

So far I have always resolved this problem by taking the battery out and then back in (as some sort of soft-reset).

I don't know how to solve this on a dekstop but I would guess that the power supply is causing the problem?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
    Get any bootable USB stick, put UBUNTU or any OS that will frun from USB stick, that will help you eliminate SSD as a culprit (unplug all of your drives before booting form USB).
    Monitor not displaying anything when you press the power button is usually caused by faulty MBO or GPU, however that should not have affected your OS in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a feeling mayby its the monitor, il swap it out tommorrow morning and see what happans. Thanks for your input.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a similar issue not long ago, what I had done was simply updated my video card and it's been good since.

It could also be a PSU issue.

The monitor cannot cause any changes in the OS, so its quite safe to assume the monitor is fine. Good luck with solving the issue!

Quote Originally Posted by dariok View Post
    The monitor cannot cause any changes in the OS, so its quite safe to assume the monitor is fine. Good luck with solving the issue!
    However, turning the computer off and on repeatedly when it is in the OS without any form of shutdown sequence CAN cause unwanted changes in the OS. Im pretty sure since he hasn't been getting any input from the monitor this is exactly what he has been doing (If the problem does indeed involve the monitor). Just try a different monitor, wont take more than a few minutes.

i would've said it was a memory issue, but seeing as you've already swapped out all the dimms, i guess not

it's potentially a power supply issue and a shortage of power on either the 5v or 12v line, but the bios resetting itself suggests that the lithium battery on the motherboard has died, or that the motherboard is having issues.

it's not an easy one, thats for sure, but i'd try relacing the power supply before anything else, they are the biggest single point of failure in pc's as far as i am concerned (i service 1000+ pc's for my job), memory, power supplies and hard drives have the highest failure rate, but power supplies come out on top, which is why i always make sure to have a spare "box fresh" PSU at home as i know at some point it'll blow, with memory you can switch out sticks, with a hard drives you can re-install or use mirror raid but with a PSU you're screwed until you can get a new one.

if you are concerned it's an HDD or windows 7 issue, just unplug the drive and boot from a CD, bartPE is useful as a winXP boot from cd test environment. PC-check (if you can get hold of it) is also fairly useful for diagnosing hardware faults.
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    i would've said it was a memory issue, but seeing as you've already swapped out all the dimms, i guess not

it's potentially a power supply issue and a shortage of power on either the 5v or 12v line, but the bios resetting itself suggests that the lithium battery on the motherboard has died, or that the motherboard is having issues.

it's not an easy one, thats for sure, but i'd try relacing the power supply before anything else, they are the biggest single point of failure in pc's as far as i am concerned (i service 1000+ pc's for my job), memory, power supplies and hard drives have the highest failure rate, but power supplies come out on top, which is why i always make sure to have a spare "box fresh" PSU at home as i know at some point it'll blow, with memory you can switch out sticks, with a hard drives you can re-install or use mirror raid but with a PSU you're screwed until you can get a new one.

if you are concerned it's an HDD or windows 7 issue, just unplug the drive and boot from a CD, bartPE is useful as a winXP boot from cd test environment. PC-check (if you can get hold of it) is also fairly useful for diagnosing hardware faults.
    I actually had my BIOS reset itself this past week. It reset itself because I was trying many many many different overclocks and eventually hit one that it couldn't load into the bios with. Then after powering it on and off about 2-3 times it reset the bios and allowed me back in. I just assumed it was a fail safe, and after reading his post would assume that he powered his off and on a quite a few times to test. His board is nearly the same board as I have. P8P67-Pro. I do not believe his mobo battery is shot.

Deleted
    Remove all your i/o devices and start plugging them in one by one (assuming you're certain its no cpu/ram/gpu/psu error, else test them, and update them aswell). I had a similar problem a year ago where my (cheap) dvd drive had a bad connection (and my gpu was fried some days after). Haven't had any boot or the issues like you mentioned ever since.

Then again, could be that, as smokii says, you have a malfunctioning component. Although if it's the PSU, why would it randomnly boot up again without any problems? The setup looks solid. It would be uncommon though to have your system working flawlessly and suddenly giving these problems. Interested in how this unfolds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted to update everyone, it took me awhile to test out a few things due to uni keeping me fairly busy with mid-semester exams and assignments, but i narrowed it down to my monitor. I left my computer, and monitor off over night since my problem seems to only arise after cold boots and times when my monitor/computer are in a low powered state. so first thing i did was try out my other monitor, and straight away it booted up like normal, first i thought mayby it was a fluke, so i switched back to my old monitor and it failed to display anything except a faint illumination (lasted 1 second) each time i restarted my computer.

i left my monitor on (dint switch to standby mode like a monitor usually does when there isnt a signal, this indicate's it does receive a signal from the computer.) and i came back after my shower, and rebooted my comp and it worked.

Conclusion:
    I think that my monitor needs to "warm up" before being able to display the signal from my computer. it receives a signal however it doesn't display anything but a black screen (not a black error screen, but as-if the monitor is off) however the led's to indicate the monitor has power are blue (indicate on) rather than orange (indicate standby mode).

This monitor has severed me for a few good years, but its time to upgrade to my dream monitor setup and this is the perfect excuse .