Thread: Team Fortress 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    Downsides is that you don't have a lot of power against enemy pyros, and you can't do jack shit in water. The reserve shooter could fix both these problems if available to the pyro, and can still be used with the airblast.Some fun setups.
    Pyro has a shotgun by default, y'know. You don't need a reserve shooter to take down them. And if you're close enough to an enemy to airblast him, you really should use axetinguisher instead of a shotgun anyway. So, I doubt that reserve shooter would be that useful, and that's IF Pyro would be able to use it.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Pyro has a shotgun by default, y'know. You don't need a reserve shooter to take down them. And if you're close enough to an enemy to airblast him, you really should use axetinguisher instead of a shotgun anyway. So, I doubt that reserve shooter would be that useful, and that's IF Pyro would be able to use it.
    Airblast range shotgun will do more damage than the Axtinguisher melee (Unless the enemy is on fire), provided you can actually get a meatshot, rather than just glancing hits. And the Reserve Shooter will make a big difference for the Pyro due to guaranteed mini-crits on airbourne targets. I'm actually having a hard time seeing the RS go through for the Pyro due the ease of juggling using airblasts.

WDZ clan here

Their 2fort_pl map is so damn fun!

If I want a challenge when playing I usually hit up a sniper war with Flux or Kagumaru, top snipers right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varix View Post
    Airblast range shotgun will do more damage than the Axtinguisher melee (Unless the enemy is on fire), provided you can actually get a meatshot, rather than just glancing hits. And the Reserve Shooter will make a big difference for the Pyro due to guaranteed mini-crits on airbourne targets. I'm actually having a hard time seeing the RS go through for the Pyro due the ease of juggling using airblasts.
    Why in the world would anyone even think of trying to hit an enemy with axetinguisher when he's not on fire?

Anyway, the reserve shooter limited ammo makes it's less effective for chipping away enemy health at the distance, making you even less effective in the open area. And if you're fighting in close quarters, there will likely be a narrow corridor and/or low ceiling, that will prevent enemy from being airborne long enough for you to make even two successful minicrits with the reserve shooter. Indoor airblast should be used to throw your enemy at wall and stall for a brief moment, until you get close enough to finish him with an axetinguisher, and not to try to hold your enemy in the air.

Airshot reserve shooter would still be fairly powerful combo, but not as effective as axetinguisher, but imo it will still lose to the default shotgun in the open, so I don't think that would be a great addition to Pyro's arsenal. Though don't get me wrong, I'd still like to see it available for Pyro, because this would add even more variety to the game, which is always good.

I stopped playing TF2 when they added item system. Checked not so long ago, its not the same game anymore, shit imo.

id so love to see more smaller publics with maybe comp settings (12-16 players max, 1 heavy/engineer per team max etc.) 8(

e: & without custom weaps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    You're full of shit honey.

Imo Demos and Soldiers are extremely overpowered in this game and that pretty much ruined it for me.
    95% of my deaths in this game is because of getting oneshotted by one of these classes.
    Last edited by Doylez; 2011-09-23 at 09:49 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Imo Demos and Soldiers are extremely overpowered in this game and that pretty much ruined it for me.
    95% of my deaths in this game is because of getting oneshotted by one of these classes.
    A Soldier will only ever one-shot anything if he fires: Crit Rockets (And even then you can't one-shot all classes), or a point-blank hit on a low-health class with the Direct Hit (If you run into the face of a DH Soldier, you deserve to die). Random crits are unfortunately an element of the game, which leads to some infuriating moments. However it's easy to find servers who have random crits disabled, I don't play on anything else.

A Demoman can only one-shot you if he fires: Crit Grenades/Stickies (And even then you can't one-shot all classes), or a direct hit from the Loch 'n Load on a low-health class. The only other way you can get "one-shotted" by a Demoman is if you run into a Sticky Trap (Multiple Stickies placed behind doors, on ceilings or other hard to spot places) and it that case, you only have yourself to blame.

Point being, if you feel that Soldiers and Demos are overpowered then you haven't played the game enough. It's true that Soldiers are an excellent class, as they fill the "Jack of all Trades" role, but they are very much killable. Demomen are fantastic on defense and for pushing sentry nests, but once you get up close and personal, only luck, lag or your own lack of skill can save him.

I think you should give the game another go if that's your honest opinion, because I think you'll reconsider that statement if you get a bit more "in to " it.

EDIT: Oh, I should probably mention that I am well aware that crits can be forced via the Medics Kritzkrieg Ubercharge, but that's not exactly overpowered, considered how much work it can be to get the Uber, the fact that both Medic and patient can be killed while it's active and that it very much relies on the patients ability, as well as the Medics situational awareness.
    Last edited by mmoc5fa303d2cd; 2011-09-23 at 10:31 AM.

A Soldier will only ever one-shot anything if he fires: Crit Rockets (And even then you can't one-shot all classes), or a point-blank hit on a low-health class with the Direct Hit (If you run into the face of a DH Soldier, you deserve to die). Random crits are unfortunately an element of the game, which leads to some infuriating moments. However it's easy to find servers who have random crits disabled, I don't play on anything else.

A Demoman can only one-shot you if he fires: Crit Grenades/Stickies (And even then you can't one-shot all classes), or a direct hit from the Loch 'n Load on a low-health class. The only other way you can get "one-shotted" by a Demoman is if you run into a Sticky Trap (Multiple Stickies placed behind doors, on ceilings or other hard to spot places) and it that case, you only have yourself to blame.

Point being, if you feel that Soldiers and Demos are overpowered then you haven't played the game enough. It's true that Soldiers are an excellent class, as they fill the "Jack of all Trades" role, but they are very much killable. Demomen are fantastic on defense and for pushing sentry nests, but once you get up close and personal, only luck, lag or your own lack of skill can save him.

I think you should give the game another go if that's your honest opinion, because I think you'll reconsider that statement if you get a bit more "in to " it.

EDIT: Oh, I should probably mention that I am well aware that crits can be forced via the Medics Kritzkrieg Ubercharge, but that's not exactly overpowered, considered how much work it can be to get the Uber, the fact that both Medic and patient can be killed while it's active and that it very much relies on the patients ability, as well as the Medics situational awareness.
    Nah, I have over 100 hours playtime, enough to have realized that some classes counter others way too much and soldier+demo pretty much counters everything.
    I don't care if it's luck (critrocket), medicbuff, or soldierbuff, it still happens all the time. Not to mention that even without a crit it's still doing an insane amount of damage.

Let me ask you this, what other class can kill MULTIPLE enemys with a single shot at long range as well as close range? They don't even have to aim, just randomly fire in a hallway where an enemy might appear.

It's a joke how easy you can get dominations with these classes while you have to work your ass off to even get a single kill as Pyro or Scout.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    From someone who went pro-ro, it's pretty much this.

I'm really not sure I'd swap out to the reserve shooter, the tactical benefits of the Detonator are HUGE, assuming you're competent to consistently be able to flare jump.

Nah, I have over 100 hours playtime, enough to have realized that some classes counter others way too much and soldier+demo pretty much counters everything.
    I don't care if it's luck (critrocket), medicbuff, or soldierbuff, it still happens all the time. Not to mention that even without a crit it's still doing an insane amount of damage.

Let me ask you this, what other class can kill MULTIPLE enemys with a single shot at long range as well as close range? They don't even have to aim, just randomly fire in a hallway where an enemy might appear.

It's a joke how easy you can get dominations with these classes while you have to work your ass off to even get a single kill as Pyro or Scout.
    Sniper with the Machina?

They're actually countered by Pyros assuming you're competent enough, puts them level, assuming that they're not using a backpack weapon when the pyro massively has the upper hand. Demo's arent necessarily countered, but the pyro and demo counter each other out, the Pyro more uses the demoman to take out other members of his team.

Scouts will also give soldiers quite a large run for their money again, assuming they're competent.
    Last edited by mmoc810e31c697; 2011-09-23 at 11:16 AM.

Deleted

If we're using playtime as a factor to determine whether or not we're capable judging game balance, I'll openly admit that I have roughly 400 hours played on Team Fortress 2, apparently not enough time for me to realize that Soldiers and Demomen supposedly counter everything. Look I'll end the discussion here because I can't defend my views against broad generalizations and overexagarrations.

I'm sorry to come off as a prick, but when you're stone set on the fact Soldiers and Demomen counters everything and crits happening all the times, what can I say. I have very different experiences and I think you're being just a bit too harsh on the game.

If there is any class that can steamroll entire servers, it's a Tomislav, Sandvich and GRU Heavy + Medic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to play crazy amounts before the Mann Co. update. I just haven't kept up with it since then...

If there is any class that can steamroll entire servers, it's a Tomislav, Sandvich and GRU Heavy + Medic.
    Good luck with the first sentry, guess what class you're gonna need there.

Deleted
    See iv'e never really seen the appeal in the Tomislav but then again, I very rarely bother with the heavy. Still, all you need is a competent sniper and that combo is destroyed.

Of course it depends on whatever map but that's what I love about TF2, everything is so phenomenally different dependent upon map / weapon / etc

10+ Year Old Account
    I have over 100 hours playtime
    You really shouldn't try to bring this in discussion as an argument.
    Not to mention that even without a crit it's still doing an insane amount of damage.

I hope that you're referring to the Demoman here, because unlike grenades or stickybombs, rocket damage scales with distance, and until the enemy is really close, average damage would be about 45-60 damage per rocket. Any class can survive that and regroup, unless they're trying to play berserk or w+m1. And most of the time, as a Soldier, you have to see you target and have a straight line of site to them to hit them with your rockets, while Demoman weapons fire projectiles that travel along a ballistic trajectory, and you can hit enemies behind corners, on higher ground and alike. You can't simply spam rockets (and grenades alike) in one place and hope you'll hit something, the key to the effectively play a Soldier is thorough knowledge of the map you play on, and enemy behavior. This will allow you to predict enemy movement and land precise strikes on them.

Also, you can't spam forever without reloading or replenishing your ammo, and that may be the end for you, because players might be well aware of your class gameplay mechanics and simply count and know how many ammo you have, like if they were watching your HUD. Though simple spam becomes much more effective if performed by several players simultaneously. But remember, your best counter-tactic in any situation is teamwork.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hawt09 View Post
    See iv'e never really seen the appeal in the Tomislav but then again, I very rarely bother with the heavy. Still, all you need is a competent sniper and that combo is destroyed.

Of course it depends on whatever map but that's what I love about TF2, everything is so phenomenally different dependent upon map / weapon / etc
    The Tomislav on it's own is not so bad, but when you combine it with the Sandvich and the GRU, you essentially have a class with no flaws. One of the key factors to beating the Heavy is taking an advantage of how slow he is.

With the Tomislav, he can deploy pretty much instantaneously and wreak havoc (All the Miniguns do INSANE close-range damage) and theoretically (READ: THEORETICALLY) The Tomislav beats all other Miniguns. The damage reduction is negated by the extra firing time you gain from the faster spin-up. I am well aware that are many circumstances where this might not be the case, but if you put a Heavy vs. Heavy, one with the Minigun/Natascha/Brass Beast against one with a Tomislav, on paper the Tomislav Heavy will win every time.

Combine that with the Sandvich, which allows the Heavy to function long-term without a Medic and even use it as a portable health-pack, both for himself and allies, you have a pretty powerful healing tool for a class. Not unbeatable of course, just very powerful.

And finally, if you combine the two above with the GRU (Gloves of Running Urgently) You have a class that's supposed to be a lumbering and noisy, but powerful giant instead becoming a fast, self-sustaining, high HP super damaging class.

I'm not saying that a Tomislav/Sandvich/GRU Heavy is unbeatable, but there shouldn't be items that outperform stock items by such a huge margin as these three do, that's when you can talk about TF2 becoming "Pay2Win"

It's becoming apparent to me that you've never seen what a competent Heavy can do with a pocket Medic. If you think you NEED Soldiers/Demomen to bust Sentry nests, then you're mistaken. Yes they might be able to do it more easily, but it's far from impossible to do it with an ubered Heavy.
    Last edited by mmoc5fa303d2cd; 2011-09-23 at 01:20 PM.

Yes they might be able to do it more easily
    Exactly, see we agree after all.

Deleted
    Yes they might be able to do it more easily, but it's far from impossible to do it with an ubered Heavy.
    Exactly, see we agree after all.
    Not exactly.

I think demoman is the most op class, they can one shot scouts with the grenade launcher without even needing crits, and they can take out a whole team if its clumped together with ease. Example on 2fort, my team is doing shitty, there team has atleast 3 engineers set up on the bridge with there whole team around them, i go through sewers, peak out there front door, destroy everything before they know what happened

Deleted
    Spy's are dbags, just putting that out there