Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question going back to the military

So, I've tossed around the idea of going back to the Navy now, for roughly the year that I've been out. The economy here in the US is a bit rough to get by in. No matter what job I take, and no matter where I move to, I can't seem to find happiness. The thought of going back in, seems like the right thing to do, for me at least. My wife supports it, my parents are understanding that their son isn't going to come home any time soon if he goes back in. Its honestly something I feel I want to do again. 15 years, and I can retire. Not a bad gig to receive retirement at 40. Not a bad gig either, to get the awesome medical coverage for my family and me. I already know the do's and don'ts, the ins and outs, and the run arounds.

My question is, are there any of you reading this who departed your country's military, and then decided to go back in?
    What do you all think of this?

please, no anti-military, anti-government BS comments. If thats the way you feel, fine. I'm not asking for nay sayers and haters. I'm asking for people who have experienced anything close to what I'm going through, to offer insight on the matter. If you want to give your negative feedback in the inevitable hate filled manner that its normally presented when this sort of subject comes up, the post is gonna be reported and requested to be deleted. thanks for your co-operation.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

Hey if you can handle dealing with that bullshit again for another 15 years then do it. I personally got the hell out of the military as soon as I could and don't plan on returning.

ETS = best acronymn. What was your original reason for leaving?

Deleted
    Go for it.

Captain Burns, British army (Infantry)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenicks View Post
    Hey if you can handle dealing with that bullshit again for another 15 years then do it. I personally got the hell out of the military as soon as I could and don't plan on returning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantfoamhat View Post
    ETS = best acronymn. What was your original reason for leaving?
    i think i jumped the gun and made a mistake when I got out. I was Navy, but stationed with the marines, working on F-18s. We didn't always see eye to eye, but when I had dealings with all Navy situations, it felt fine. Another reason, was I needed a 2nd knee surgery, and lost the orders I had in hand for Japan (which pissed me off royally) I honestly think that getting to a command where Im with my own kind, would feel a lot better than the 5 years I did.

I get a strong sense of self worth in uniform, because I understand that the smallest of roles adds to the big picture in the end. Wouldn't mind getting back in (if they'd let me) and seeing just how far it could take me.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

I got out in 1998, and have regretted it ever since. If I had stayed in, I could retire in 2 years at the age of 38 (if I were still alive to be able to retire). I can't tell you how many times I've thought about going back in. I have friends that have actually gone back in. Let me be the first to tell you, the grass is always greener on the other side. I have a friend that I served in Desert Storm with go back after being out for just over a year. He says all the time it was the worst decision he's ever made. It's not the same, even after only being out a year, and it never will be. Even further, if the economy is the reason you're looking to do it, and not flat out passion for the service, it's probably the wrong reason to begin with and you may wind up even more miserable. Either way, it is absolutely something you should think very long, and very hard about. It's not a snap decision to make. I've been thinking about it for 13 years now, and thinking about it is probably as far as I'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Go for it.

Captain Burns, British army (Infantry)
    I bet you didn't get any stick being Private Burns

OT: Go for it. Like you say you know what to expect. It's job security for you and it's medical cover for your family if (god forbids) anything happens.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2011-09-22 at 11:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeda_ View Post
    I got out in 1998, and have regretted it ever since. If I had stayed in, I could retire in 2 years at the age of 38 (if I were still alive to be able to retire). I can't tell you how many times I've thought about going back in. I have friends that have actually gone back in. Let me be the first to tell you, the grass is always greener on the other side. I have a friend that I served in Desert Storm with go back after being out for just over a year. He says all the time it was the worst decision he's ever made. It's not the same, even after only being out a year, and it never will be. Even further, if the economy is the reason you're looking to do it, and not flat out passion for the service, it's probably the wrong reason to begin with and you may wind up even more miserable. Either way, it is absolutely something you should think very long, and very hard about. It's not a snap decision to make. I've been thinking about it for 13 years now, and thinking about it is probably as far as I'll get.
    Its honestly both. I know its job security, and I don't feel like I'm done serving my country at the same time. As far as that grass being greener, I'm finding it only looks greener because its where everything else is taking a dump.

Go for it man, it's an honorable job. I personally am going to be joining the Marines as soon as I graduate from college in the Spring. With my bachelor's I should be able to get into OCS right away, still need to meet with an OSO though, I've only met with Enlisted recruiters so far who can't really help me.

Maybe try joining the National Guard or the Reserves until you get a real feel for the choice you want to make?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    I bet you didn't get any stick being Private Burns

OT: Go for it. Like you say you know what to expect.
    Lol, no, but i still get the same crap jokes.

---------- Post added 2011-09-23 at 12:28 AM ----------

Maybe try joining the National Guard or the Reserves until you get a real feel for the choice you want to make?
    This is great advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, thats just it. I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind. I absolutely hate the line of work ive niched myself into. If I get back in, its all or nothing for me. I'm ready to see the open sea in a 360 degree view again, to share the comradre, and to be able to come home wearing camo again to a smiling and proud family.

I have thought about joining the navy because its a nice way to save up money and get an early retirement. I just couldn't get passed having to be away from loved ones for so long. It seems if you do it then it pretty much is your life until you're done. You have already been in the Navy though so I think you need to just think about it and decide yourself. If the Navy lifestyle worked for you then its a great opportunity and I don't see why you wouldn't want to just make it a career.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orodoth View Post
    i think i jumped the gun and made a mistake when I got out. I was Navy, but stationed with the marines, working on F-18s. We didn't always see eye to eye, but when I had dealings with all Navy situations, it felt fine. Another reason, was I needed a 2nd knee surgery, and lost the orders I had in hand for Japan (which pissed me off royally) I honestly think that getting to a command where Im with my own kind, would feel a lot better than the 5 years I did.

I get a strong sense of self worth in uniform, because I understand that the smallest of roles adds to the big picture in the end. Wouldn't mind getting back in (if they'd let me) and seeing just how far it could take me.
    Oh man japan was the best base i was at.. But if you think you can be happy in there go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    Oh man japan was the best base i was at.. But if you think you can be happy in there go for it.
    would have been shore duty, Atsugi, for 3 years >_< /cry

10+ Year Old Account
    You know if you had a good rate in the Nav, and you are somewhat young still.
    I say just go knock it out. Go have a blast, pull a little duty from time to time, and you'll have your pension before you know it.
    Then when you are my age you can be double dipping like a lot of the GS folks I work with. Easy street.
    A part of me wishes I had done just that.

How long you been out?
    Post may contain sarcasm:
    Discontinue use if experiencing mood swings, nausea or elevated blood pressure.

military is a lot easier than real life for most. it's why it's so appealing. being husband/dad every day is more than most boys can handle

my friend's wife went insta-ho the second he went oversees. he's gonna come home, fuck her and get a damn STD. feel bad for the guy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    military is a lot easier than real life for most. it's why it's so appealing. being husband/dad every day is more than most boys can handle

my friend's wife went insta-ho the second he went oversees. he's gonna come home, fuck her and get a damn STD. feel bad for the guy.
    Easier than Afghanistan then? Get real!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sipCider View Post
    You know if you had a good rate in the Nav, and you are somewhat young still.
    I say just go knock it out. Go have a blast, pull a little duty from time to time, and you'll have your pension before you know it.
    Then when you are my age you can be double dipping like a lot of the GS folks I work with. Easy street.
    A part of me wishes I had done just that.

How long you been out?
    a year and some change. And i worked with a lot of civil service folk, on the right coast, on the F-18s for a while. most were double dipping as well.

---------- Post added 2011-09-22 at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post

being husband/dad, is far from the max I can handle... this isn't an escape from responsibility mind you.
    and a real bro would warn his friend prior to the std. granted.. telling someone their wife is a lecherous ho while they are deployed isnt exactly the easiest or best thing to do.. damn. what a touchy situation eh?
    Last edited by Orodoth; 2011-09-22 at 11:42 PM.

If you go back in, either go reserve/NG or go AF. But it sounds like you have "grass is greener" syndrome. It caused you to get out and now it's wanting to make you go back in