Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Why don't you try playing Rift for 6 years.

You will be in the same boat you are now with World of Warcraft. The primary issue here is that Rift is a WoW clone and even if people who only "go to level 8" say that, it's still accurate.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

From a 4-year WoW player:

Rift is pretty fun, despite how painfully similar it is to WoW. The soul system is a nice change from WoW's talent system, though very confusing sometimes and quite complicated.

Eh, overall it's pretty much WoW with different classes. Got my Cleric to 50 and healed all the T1/T2 dungeons, pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Sorry, no. Rift's graphics are terrible.
    I'd hate to see what your definition of "good" is, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    I'd hate to see what your definition of "good" is, then.
    Compared to Rift? WoW's graphics are great. And yes, I play at max settings for both.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I just cancelled my sub yesterday. I'm pretty much done with games that follow the EQ/WoW/Rift game model. If you're bored with WoW raiding, I don't think Rift will be any different...
    If you want to try a MMO that doesnt play like WOW/Rift etc, you could try what I did and play Final Fantasy 14 Online. I know its gotten off to a bad start at launch last year, but the improvements they have done to this day, and with release of patch 1.19 next week, will make this my new MMO forwards. Its still free to play, so you wont loose any money except buying a copy and see how you like it.

Ive tried GW1 but didnt enjoy it very much. SWTOR is also something I dont feel its for me. Sure I love the original 3 movies, but Ive just never enjoyed the games they have released. SWtor might be a good game, it just doesnt interest me much.

This has become a rift is good vs rift sucks thread. I never played it personally, couldn't get into it. Also.... this doesn't belong in the World of Warcraft > General Discussions section.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving this thread over to the Video Games forum, as General Discussions is mainly for World of Warcraft-related topics. Remember to keep posting constructively and without flaming other users.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I recently quit WoW To play other MMO's, or at least try some other games. I decided to go with RIFT, I really really am enjoying it. I played the guardians for a while, got to level 30 or so and decided I didn't like the guardian faction, so I recently just rerolled on the defiant side and it is A LOT more fun. The class system is awesome, Being able to do really whatever you want, be a hybrid, be straight this soul or that. Its pretty awesome, the game would be better with more players.. But I think the player base is growing. If you're bored of WoW and want a change of pace, then you might think its worth going back to. I played RIFT during beta, thought it was awesome and kind of forgot about it when it launched, just recently got back into and I'm loving it. But yeah, if you're waiting for GW 2 like me and a lot of other people, this game is a pretty good one to play while you wait. Oh, and the new patch coming out soon seem pretty awesome too if you haven't heard about it you should go check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by LordRayken View Post
    Rift's entire invention was to take some heat/steam from World of Warcraft.

It's a blatant WoW clone and it's been talked about as a pure copy of World of Warcraft in everything except for the concept of rifts, which were just a quick fix to give the game some kind of difference from WoW.

My advice would be to stay away from any games that came out around WoW's peak, like Rift.
    My advice is to actually try the game before actually badmouthing it.

First off, the Rifts are not just a "quick fix"... there's quite a lot of depth to them, particularly the full-scale zone invasions.

Secondly, there's a LOT of other stuff Rift does that WoW doesn't. It had an appearance tab right out of the gate (WoW is ONLY finally implementing a clumsier version in 4.3). You can also change the color of your armor... something WoW should've implemented seven years ago that every other MMO did.

There's also the addition of a support role in dungeons/raids.

You can also have something like up to five additional specs for you character that you can switch to.

You can also get raid tier gear out of 5 man dungeons who's difficulty are adjusted so they're of equal difficulty to that particular tier level of raiding.

Next patch they're implementing soloable and duo-able dungeons... something WoW could really use too.

I can't play it fully as I'm on a Mac, so I play it when I go to my friends house. I was really surprised at how much extra stuff there was in that game that made me say "Why the hell doesn't WoW have this!?"

Seriously, it feels like what I want World of Warcraft 2 to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    People that say it is an Exact clone, are the same people that have not played RIFT, or only ever got to level 8.
    I played to level 30 and the tore me away from the game was it was the same thing as wow yeah rifts are fun for awhile but they get annoying after some time........although i did greatly enjoy there talent system where you could choose to play whatever the hell you wanted to.warrior with a pet hell yes want to be a tank healer why the hell not that was the best part of the whole experience i liked.......now im just waiting on GW2 since it seems to be a great deal different even down to crating being minecrafted liked.....which seems more like real crafting than just gathering materials.

but i can say for the time i did play it i enjoyed it but it was just to similar to me the only big thing different was rifts and the class trees(both awesome things)...

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

Why don't you try playing Rift for 6 years.

You will be in the same boat you are now with World of Warcraft. The primary issue here is that Rift is a WoW clone and even if people who only "go to level 8" say that, it's still accurate.
    if I level to lvl 8 (no, even higher than that) in WoW, I have no clue what it's about. absolutely -no- clue, unless I've read up on it extensively. My cousin leveled to 85, his first time in a heroic, he died on nearly every pull. not because he was bad, no, while his dps was sub-par, given a few attempts he would have mastered a boss. no, it was because the game hadn't adequately prepared him for the encounters (he dungeon'd, pvp'd and quested to 85).

so don't say "RIFT is bad even a lvl 8 could see that", because, no, you're not honestly giving it a fair chance. I was like you once too, I was completely against RIFT, I tried it, and was blown away. Level a bit, get to around 20, you'll start to see how it is. At least get to around 15 where you start really feeling like you're progressing your character (you get dailies at lvl 10, while boring, they give you benefits to your toon).

Compared to Rift? WoW's graphics are great. And yes, I play at max settings for both.

ha...haha...hahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    no

WoW has a really cool art style.

Rift is just...
    well.
    I'd better not say.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

If you're not bored of a WoW type game, then why not go back?

Personally I couldn't stand it at all... the world is unfortunately shallower than WoW's (simply because it is so new), and the combat is simpler IMO. And I was bored of MMO hotkey combat to begin with and sick of the traditional MMO model where gear progression is the only type of character progression.

But if you're into that, check it out (again). I hear HammerKnell is fun
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW has a really cool art style.

Rift is just...
    well.
    I'd better not say.
    very bland yes its true but that doesn't take away on what it did do was try to do dynamic content (which is sorely needed in most mmo's) as well as there talent tree combination system which is a interesting concept....

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

15+ Year Old Account
    The combat animations for Rift are terrible, I am sorry. I like my abilities to feel like they have impact. In Rift, I felt like I was fighting people with fireworks and party favors. All lights and no impact. Left much to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    My advice is to actually try the game before actually badmouthing it.

First off, the Rifts are not just a "quick fix"... there's quite a lot of depth to them, particularly the full-scale zone invasions.

Secondly, there's a LOT of other stuff Rift does that WoW doesn't. It had an appearance tab right out of the gate (WoW is ONLY finally implementing a clumsier version in 4.3). You can also change the color of your armor... something WoW should've implemented seven years ago that every other MMO did.

There's also the addition of a support role in dungeons/raids.

You can also have something like up to five additional specs for you character that you can switch to.

You can also get raid tier gear out of 5 man dungeons who's difficulty are adjusted so they're of equal difficulty to that particular tier level of raiding.

Next patch they're implementing soloable and duo-able dungeons... something WoW could really use too.

I can't play it fully as I'm on a Mac, so I play it when I go to my friends house. I was really surprised at how much extra stuff there was in that game that made me say "Why the hell doesn't WoW have this!?"

Seriously, it feels like what I want World of Warcraft 2 to be.
    So many things they have... And so many things they don't...

you can't really blame them for not having full MAC support yet. from what I've heard, getting into learning game developement, MAC is a hard platform to program for compared to PC. I'm sure they've got it planned but you really need to believe that it'll be profitable. WoW has what 11-12 million subs? It's definitely worth it for them to program and keep the mac version up to date.

Thats kinda the point isn't it? I had the opportunity to play more, and I just...couldn't. It was so boring and stupid that I didn't want to play it, even for free.

Sorry, no. Rift's graphics are terrible. I guess technically they are...sharper...or something...whatever you want to call it. But they are far, far less enjoyable.

PS I don't give a shit about your DK.
    You don't need to have an attitude. Try and be considerate or do not post.

Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    So many things they have... And so many things they don't...
    Actually I find this rather beneficial - it means I don't get sucked into half-a-dozzen MMOs and other games! :P

Kinda like what Groucho Marx said about TV: "I find television very educational. When somebody turns one on... I go into the other room and read a book."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    People that say it is an Exact clone, are the same people that have not played RIFT, or only ever got to level 8.
    Disagree. I made it to level 50 on Rift and wow after a month of annoying vanilla - like quests and stupid fucked up class balancing I was bored and frustrated out of my mind.... Rift to me was like vanilla with graphics too good for the shitty desktop i used in february so on good days I had 8 fps.. though I guess thats my own fault...somehow..
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."