Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

So Is attonement Worth it atm?

I just specced to disc . droping holy after many many years.
    I am a completely casual nowadays but i enjoy raiding weekends in firelands. Since i am a bit confused because i spent a bit of time reading outdated posts about attonement. does it worth it nowadays manawise?

give a fellow priest some help here.

It's worth using for the healing buff and solid filler heal on the majority of fights. As long as you get the smite and hit glyph for it, you can just use Holy Fire on cd to keep the buff rolling

Deleted
    As far as numbers, I've found that using holy fire on CD to 5 stacks then popping AA whilst spamming PoH all the time in between gives a very similar amount of total healing as just spamming PoH. Difference being you lose some throughput when casting the holy fires then make that healing back by popping wings. Burst vs consistency I suppose. Also you have to lose some talents to pick it up, so it depends how you value those too.

EDIT:
    If at any point you would not be casting a heal and you can cast a holy fire or smite, it's an overall healing increase. With the recent firelands nerfs I've found there's points of fights where you're just 'waiting' for the next phase (beth + alys come to mind), other fights have periods with minimal damage anyway (staghelm, ryolith, raggy)
    Last edited by mmocc73a7e76d4; 2011-09-25 at 05:36 PM.

For Firelands:

Shannox: Useful for tank healing, I would assume. Though you shouldn't use it as your main heal.

Ryolith: Semi-useful if you're healing spark tank.

Alysrazor: Pretty useful here, you can use it on the initiates or the hatchlings depending on your job.

Beth: Generally useless unless you're healing drone tank in the middle.

Baelroc: No time to get 5 stacks.

Rag: Hitbox is too big for atonement to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    ^^ What he said, except it's usefull ob Beth too, for healing the tank upstairs (then pop AA for the AoE after you've jumped back down).

Attonement gives moderately good HPS and great HPM assuming you hit the correct target :P

while atonement can be useful for some firelands fights (but not a must-have), i would not recommend it to a discipline beginner.

learn to play and practice without atonement, get used to all the amazing tools you have and then, when everything goes fine, you can pick atonement for some extra fun

Deleted
    No its not worth it, is not making big difference

Quote Originally Posted by jerichoo View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    Question isn't really if it's better or not though imo, but rather if you enjoy the playstyle of an attonement priest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jerichoo View Post
    Domo 25H would like to have a word with you.

Whether atonement is worth it or not comes down to how good your execution is. If the extra robotics forced on you by AA/A get in your way (usually because you're not prioritizing correctly) SoS winds up being a lot better even for a raid healer.

If you can get those wings to fire every time though without sacrificing anything more important, AA becomes pretty godly. But now you have more things to remember to do, and getting the execution wrong means you'll fall behind the SoS raidhealer. Basically properly executed AA/A has unlimited mana. Executed improperly and all you're doing is limiting max thorughput by playing with archangel.

Once again, it's subjective. Depends whether you can pull it off correctly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfetsas View Post
    I just specced to disc . droping holy after many many years.
    I am a completely casual nowadays but i enjoy raiding weekends in firelands. Since i am a bit confused because i spent a bit of time reading outdated posts about attonement. does it worth it nowadays manawise?

give a fellow priest some help here.
    normals = fun alternative. Is it good? No. On normals you don't need more then 2 healers anyway after nerf, so you can 2,5 heal it if your raid sucks.
    heroic = I don't see any scenario where it's better then regular healing.

Im using it all over now. Except on rag since the range from rag to tank is just too big to heal em (thx for still not fixing this). So yes I'd say atonement is viable (beth spam on drone to heal the tank), Ryo on big adds to keep tank up (atleast to get AA up with 5 stacks and spam PoH for aoe if you got bad rng). Alysrazor keeping add tank up (might not work if you have tantrum up but for the rest of the time its fine). Baleroc, no use for me. Domo god damn best fight (even pulling roughly 8 to 10k dps - depends how often im getting my bar reset :P).

Unless your strictly tank healing, you don't really give up anything by speccing attonement.

There are many uses for attonement healing, just don't fall in the classic "I specced attonement so now I should be smiting 24/7" trap that a lot of beginners do.

- Any fight where a mob or boss takes increased damage, you can get some use out of attonement. Pre-nerf Rhyolith heroic for example, disc priests were by far the best class to heal the spark tank since every smite would equal a 25-30k heal at higher stacks. Last tier, Halfus heroic with smitehealing was just lol. Another example where attonement healing is very powerful is Majordomo heroic: You get a 100% increased dmg, 100% increased healing buff which means that your smite will hit for 20k instead of 10k, and your attonement heal will be 40k instead of 20k.... in other words, you get 4 times as much healing out of your smites than you normally would. Alysrazor's burnphase is enough good example.

- At any moment you're casting a normal 'heal' (that is, the slow efficient spell in your spellbook), you could cast a smite instead for the same effect.

- If there's nothing to heal, smiting gives you something to do while building up your archangel cd.

So is it 'worth it'? I'd say yes. On some fights it's really useless... but on many others it's either extremely useful (Domo hc) or if you're more casual and doing normal modes, you can often find time to smite a bit during low damage phases.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can be fantastic on many encounters. Allows you to be continuously casting and contributing to the raid at a low cost. The heals hit as hard or harder than a heal with 3 stack grace only they are smart and fast. The best way to play AA/A is to weave HF and smites in along other heals. Just casting a quick HF on CD is a great source of healing as its fast, powerful and provides a hot for a few seconds keeping your Evangelism stacked full until you decide to pop it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    Not anymore he wouldn't.

Deleted
    It's worth it seeing as you shield ppl with the overheals if you have an decent amount of crit, which makes it all alot easier. Also even if you heal other ppl then melees from time to time it's still worth it since it shields them and reduces their hp loss. Also the mana it give back is also a decent bonus. Atm though it's not rly the best for every fight but ive gotten away with healing bosses with that spec pre nerf without even having anny problems at all

Deleted
    Thanks for the feedback Guys

I tried AA/A spec. It was fun tbh but it made me nervous on Ragnaros.So i just droped it and went for a spec fitting my needs.
    i move a lot in most of the fights and keeping in mind my hf cd and the buff stacks just made it worse:P Well i guess ill try it again after i get more
    xp in disc spec.It surely changed a lot since mid tbc

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    Not anymore he wouldn't.
    what happened with atonement on domo heroic? smite heals not benefiting from concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    The only reason people used Atonement on Heroic Domo was for extra dps to kill the boss before a second orb phase with the Paragon strat. Since the nerfs there's no reason to play Atonement on that fight unless your raid's dps is horrible. Your throughput is way higher not using Atonement, and dps should never be an issue since the nerf.