Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't really understand the concept of getting a tattoo BUT getting the tattoo somewhere where it wont show 100% of the time?
    Sure its nice to have a little star on your ankle, but whats the point if its hidden most of the time?
    "A wise man once told, Just because you can lift a car over your head and know your strong, does not mean your existance of life is more important than a Beetle who can lift 150 times his own size."
    http://imageshack.us/f/696/ultik.jpg/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctrlend View Post
    i have a 3" by 3" tattoo on my wrist of a watch coming out of my skin and some latin underneath it. and i both got an interview and a job. so that whole tattoo thing is bullshit. if some guy judges you based on a tattoo you don't want that gorram job, tell him to shove it.

What does that text mean?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sapit View Post
    Alright, so I've been thinking about getting the Triforce from Legend of Zelda on my hand, as a tattoo, but my mom was like "A tattoo on your hand will prevent people from hiring you, employers don't like that". I can understand some tattoos being a concern, but something so simple as the triforce?

Is she right? Will this become a problem when trying to get a job? (If I do get it)

Dude, hell no. Don't get a tattoo of some thing out of a game. You'll grow out of it and look at it with annoyance, I promise you.
    Tattoo's on your hand is a terrible idea altogether.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get all my tattoos in palces that can be covered by t-shirts and shorts. I dont want any jobs where i have to drop any of those objects

A tatoo of Zelda on your hand.... seriously ??? Shit man think about you in 30 years, how stupid you will look ...

Hey grandpa what's this ?
    Ho kid this is my old tatoo of legend of Zelda the video game
    WTF !!

Damn, am I getting old or are you just plain (insert word)?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Royaltru View Post
    Get the tattoo on the small of your back, right above your butt. That's where cool people put their tattoos, trust me.
    Well played, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    What does that text mean?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tempus+Nominem+Monet

What's funny is apparently his/her tattoo is misspelled. "tempus neminem manet" is apparently the appropriate spelling as far as google is concerned.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're applying to a carnival, or fastfood, get the tattoo. If you want anything decent in life get it on the arm, above the elbow, is even better.

I am heavily tattooed and I am having an impossible time finding a job. I have a neck tattoo and large stretched earlobes, as well as full sleeves, and tattoos and brandings on my hands. I don't regret getting any of it, but even after getting 2 college degrees I am still working the same job I had before. It's not that I don't like my job, it's the amount of money I make. I didn't think I'd care about money, but yep...I do. It turns out I can't just sit around doing nothing in my tiny house in a city. I want to travel and I want more land where I don't have to deal with neighbors. It's the inability to get a higher paying job because of the way I want to look that is holding me back I think.

If you are going to get it, I say get it on the inside of the wrist

10+ Year Old Account
    I really wanted a tattoo on my hand as well, however, it would make it near-impossible to find a job in IT, so arm it is.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    It depends what sort of job you want some will not but some will. Personally i'd suggest getting a tattoo somewhere easier to hide. All of mine or on my upper arms or legs so easy to hide in interviews/jobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tempus+Nominem+Monet

What's funny is apparently his/her tattoo is misspelled. "tempus neminem manet" is apparently the appropriate spelling as far as google is concerned.
    Yes, that is what i was hinting about before you tried to get smart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    I've worked in white collar jobs for over a decade, and I've seen dozens of people with tattoos, eyebrow piercings, and all sorts of body decorations working right alongside me.

I have to respectfully disagree with most of the folks in this thread. Whether or not you get a job with a visible tattoo is going to depend 50% on the policy of whichever company you're applying to, and 50% of the open-mindedness of the hiring manager. .
    Of course it depends on that, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Even if only 25% of jobs excluded you with visible tattoos (and it's probably much, much higher in reality), that's still a lot of potential jobs you're eliminating. At worst, you could be eliminating your dream job. At best, you're going to have to apply and interview at significantly more places to have the same odds of landing a job as a vanilla-looking peer.

Even though a huge percentage of the adult population has at least one tattoo, people still discriminate and it will still effect you at job interviews. They may see a person with a visible tattoo as someone who is immature or impulsive or lacking good judgment.

You've worked with a lot of people with visible body mods, but how do you know those people didn't interview with 15 other places before they finally found your place of employment being the one willing to hire them?

The OP is obviously young if he's taking advice from his mother. Young people already have a hard enough time entering the job force without having experience behind them. This is not a great start to your career if you're automatically beginning it with something we KNOW that some employers turn you away. It will vastly limit the amount of "white collar" and professional jobs one can take and one may also have trouble in "blue collar" jobs and things in the service industry (fast food, retail, etc).

I love tattoos and I'm a member of the body mod community and I still echo the advice of the others in this thread: don't get it on your hand. Once you're older and have actually established a career, then you can evaluate whether your skills or resume is impressive enough that you think you can get away with it, but don't start off that way.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Get a tattoo that can be easily covered up if you want to work in a professional environment. A general rule I have is keep in above the elbow and knee when it comes to limbs, then also keep it on your trunk but bellow your neck.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctrlend View Post
    i have a 3" by 3" tattoo on my wrist of a watch coming out of my skin and some latin underneath it. and i both got an interview and a job. so that whole tattoo thing is bullshit. if some guy judges you based on a tattoo you don't want that gorram job, tell him to shove it.

I can't stop laughing because the latin is incorrect

Deleted
    be a boss and put it on your forehead

Like everyone else said here, put it somewhere where you can hide it. It doesn't matter if it's something personal, something "cool", something nerdy, or anything else. People get offended by tattoo's no matter what, so you want to have the option of covering it up. Even if your worried about the job your applying for right now and know that it will be okay, think about ten years from now, you may be applying for a job and they might be more picky.

Note, places like wrists are considered coverable because you can wear a wristband, longsleeves, watch etc to cover it up. Also, wrist is faced down 90% of the time, so the only time a manager might see it is when you are shaking hands, etc. Top of hand you don't get that option, it's always* visible.
    Last edited by Coro; 2011-09-26 at 03:18 PM.

Sadly it would affect your ability to get a job and rise up in position in whatever field it may be. Whenever you get a tattoo, make sure it's in some place concealable.

Yes, some places don't mind as much, and some places might be narrow-minded about it, but do you really want to restrict yourself on job availability? Especially nowadays. No reason to hurt your chances at getting a job in an already bad economy.
    Last edited by Rayleigh; 2011-09-26 at 03:21 PM.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay
    "..We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity.." - H.P. Lovecraft.
    Awesome Rave Blog ------> http://www.fuckyeahhumans.blogspot.com/ <------ Awesome Rave Blog
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leigh/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Of course it depends on that, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Even if only 25% of jobs excluded you with visible tattoos (and it's probably much, much higher in reality), that's still a lot of potential jobs you're eliminating. At worst, you could be eliminating your dream job. At best, you're going to have to apply and interview at significantly more places to have the same odds of landing a job as a vanilla-looking peer.

Even though a huge percentage of the adult population has at least one tattoo, people still discriminate and it will still effect you at job interviews. They may see a person with a visible tattoo as someone who is immature or impulsive or lacking good judgment.

You've worked with a lot of people with visible body mods, but how do you know those people didn't interview with 15 other places before they finally found your place of employment being the one willing to hire them?

The OP is obviously young if he's taking advice from his mother. Young people already have a hard enough time entering the job force without having experience behind them. This is not a great start to your career if you're automatically beginning it with something we KNOW that some employers turn you away. It will vastly limit the amount of "white collar" and professional jobs one can take and one may also have trouble in "blue collar" jobs and things in the service industry (fast food, retail, etc).

I love tattoos and I'm a member of the body mod community and I still echo the advice of the others in this thread: don't get it on your hand. Once you're older and have actually established a career, then you can evaluate whether your skills or resume is impressive enough that you think you can get away with it, but don't start off that way.
    Yeah, I think I'll avoid the hand tattoos then. What about the inner wrist? (Not near the hand, closer to the elbow. About mid-way)
    Last edited by sapit; 2011-09-26 at 03:19 PM.

In an ideal world, a tattoo on your hand wouldn't affect your chances of getting a job. Ideally, your body means your choice what to do with it.

Sadly we don't live in such an open-minded world. There may be some employers who will discriminate against you for it. To make things as easy as possible, I'd say the best thing to do is put the tattoo somewhere that can be covered up when needed, but shown off when wanted.

That said, a friend of mine managed to get a pretty decent job when he has hair halfway down his back, and we all know what sort of discrimination there used to be (and still is) against men with long hair. It'd certainly be doable to get a job with a tattoo on your hand, so if it's something you really want to do then go for it. You'd be doing your part in the fight against ignorance.

So in short, it depends on what you want. Do you want a job ASAP with nothing hindering you? Then don't do it. Do you want to stand up for yourself and your right to do what you want with your own body? Then go for it. Chances are you'll still be able to find a job with the tattoo on your hand, and if you're the right personality/intelligence level then you'll do pretty well too.