Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Need some encouragement, enlightment of rift.

Hey guys, im sure you have heard this more than you want to hear it, the competition between MMO's what makes one better than the other, lucky for me, i dont judge games by the little aspects, i look at the bigger picture, instead of just This class sucks, dont play it , i want to know is it worth it for the PVE, or the PVP, i personally have been playing world of warcraft for years ( the obvious game a mmo player would play), been currently raiding hc firelands, quite fun, yet thats the only thing keeping me on, i tried rift when the beta came out, i enjoyed it but didnt get entirely into it, now personally i would rly like to get into rift but i got told my way too many friends, that its slightly slow, gameplay isnt smooth, etc etc, the main aspects i tend to look at in a game, i will attempt the game , trial first then maybe even buy it, if i can get some convincing comments and enlightment of whats "great" about rift, to maybe possibly shift my opinion on the good points of rift, ty.

Rift had pretty much the smoothest release of any MMO ever, it had minimal bugs and everything worked. You sound like you're into progression raiding which is definitely my main past-time in Rift. You may have heard the raiding content is easy and not on par with the difficulty you get in WoW, and that was certainly the case with the first tier of raids (of which Trion released 4 instances equalling 17 bosses total in less than 6 months of release.) The second tier of raids began about a month ago and had an incredibly buggy release but the difficulty has been quite challenging, you can't down more than the first boss without a well-organised raid. Currently there are quite a number of guilds expecting kills of the final boss within the next week, most of them are saying it's difficulty is on par with Yogg0. The gameplay seems smooth to me, I haven't ever felt it wasn't, it certainly isn't slow (by whatever method one uses to measure speed) and has a fairly decent community (as long as you avoid Warrior class forums.) I feel Rift's strength is certainly the flexibility of roles you can fill, as a Mage you aren't a Pyromancer, you're also a healer, a support, a Warlock and other things depending on what the fight calls for. The PvP is definitely a little off-kilter at the moment, it's very gear dependent and higher gear levels are earnt simply by grinding, there is no requirement for success so you could lose every battleground and still get the best gear if you kept going long enough. It also has that 'Vanilla' feel, or at least it did a few months back, everything is fresh and there is no DBM/Gearscore/Decursive, to be a good player you need to be able to pay attention yourself, that's the thing I think is the best about it.

Deleted
    I'm gonna keep this short because for some reason my other posts didn't want to post and is getting on my nerves, anyways here we go.

When leveling you always got alot of options, whenever you get bored of whatever way you level you can just go join others with rifts/invasions or just go alone.

The zone invasions are also amazing, (when lots of rifts spawn and you have to defeat a certain ammount to get the boss to spawn) and the public groups are always fun (if people are talking :S)
    The PvP queues on EU servers are a quick as hell, and I'm starting to think that more people do PvP then PvE (I don't know I'm still new)

The PvE queues for dungeons (T1) are pretty slow, and you can get grouped with some stupid people.

a smaller thing to note is that what I've experienced there arent as many trolls in Rift (I'll probably jinx this :S) trade chat is decent and usually doesnt peace me off. All in all I really love the game, give it a try if you're really bored of WoW, everythings worth a shot

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 03:03 PM ----------

It also has that 'Vanilla' feel, or at least it did a few months back, everything is fresh and there is no DBM/Gearscore/Decursive, to be a good player you need to be able to pay attention yourself, that's the thing I think is the best about it.
    I personally didnt play in vanilla WoW but if I had to imagine it, it'd be something what Rift is, and It's great! I also have to agree on the PvP gear issue, I'm personally not that geared yet and I'm getting hammered, but if you got a nice group following you, you can make it out alive anyways

What is good about the game currently?

Outside of Blizzard Trion seems to be the only other American dev in 5 years to care what happens to the game after it launches. People may not agree with all of the class balance changes or what they introduce or if it fits their style, but the fact is they bother too at a pace much faster then Blizzard.

I just like the speed of the updates. It keeps a newness factor to the game. I am not sure if or when it will ever slow down, but they are actually shocking me with some of the stuff they are fitting into one patch. Either I or Slipmat will post the 1.5 complete notes either today or tomorrow and just read through all of that realize it was done in basically a month.

If you want some negatives. The obvious would be the single starting areas, even though it fits perfect into the Lore it is still that way. Right now the pvp does not have goals like a Arena rating, fort capture, rvr to keep the high ranks busy after they hit max, so they head into the warfronts and are in the same matches as lowered ranked people and the obvious happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift was entertaining for me all around. The one issue I had with invasions was it seemed once you get out of the starting zone people just ignored them, and for good reasons. The exp is nice for those world events, but they sometimes were accompanied by wipefests and took too long, which took time out of leveling as fast as possible. Other than that, leveling is easy and quest hubs are plentiful, when you get bored with quests you can hop on the dungeon finder and knock out an instance or 2, or warfront til your pvp-heart's content. Only reason I quit was because I got a job at the beginning of the summer and that conflicted with my raid group. Thought about reactivating for 1.5 to check it out, maybe get into a raiding guild that I can also work around

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Rift was entertaining for me all around. The one issue I had with invasions was it seemed once you get out of the starting zone people just ignored them, and for good reasons. The exp is nice for those world events, but they sometimes were accompanied by wipefests and took too long, which took time out of leveling as fast as possible.
    I agree that the mid 20s invasions get ignored for most part. Ive seen some fails with scarwood which is 30-35, but not too many. After 40 though people most certainly do not ignore the invasions, usually if one pops up people come out of the woodwork for sourcestone lol. Some do take a while i admit, some of those scarwood ones can last up to 45 mins. I did get a bar or two of xp for them though.

Its a good way to get a bar or so of xp for 40+ cause it really slows down at that point.

Deleted
    Rift? Way more fun that WoW is at the moment, and it's not a faceroll finally! You cant just auto attack a boss in an instance and not get overagroed (like in WoW) You have to be on your toes all the time, and pay attention to you'r surroundings, 2 seconds in something you should not be standing and you are dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    I agree that the mid 20s invasions get ignored for most part. Ive seen some fails with scarwood which is 30-35, but not too many. After 40 though people most certainly do not ignore the invasions, usually if one pops up people come out of the woodwork for sourcestone lol. Some do take a while i admit, some of those scarwood ones can last up to 45 mins. I did get a bar or two of xp for them though.

Its a good way to get a bar or so of xp for 40+ cause it really slows down at that point.
    My shard was a low pop lol, but i heard similar issues from friends on higher pop shards.

Also, something I forgot to mention was Artifacts! I mean its a tedious to do, but I have loads of fun hunting for artifacts (Basically shimmering white balls lying in the world of rift that you collect. Each zone has its own artifacts that are specific to the zone as well as a couple sets that are world/world event based. Quite a fun way to waste a weekend.)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you haven't given Rift a look since Betas you're in for one hell of a shock
    There's been 4 huge content Patches in the past 6 months since launch and now we're gertting a fifth huge Patch this week, 1.5 which will see the introduction of solo/duo mini instances you can run at your own pace, either solo or with a friend..

There's Planar Attunement which means you can continue to earn "XP" when you reach level 50 and you get to unlock some new 'talents' and fluff stuff for your char.....nothing overpowered or imba, just stuff to make playing around a bit more fun...

Rifts got an overhaul with some of the new Rifts having more stages and harder end bosses, you wouldn't find it so easy to faceroll even minor Rifts

So give it a try, there's still a free trial on offer..

https://eu.riftgame.com/en/products/mmo-free-trial/

Or you can upgrade/buy it straight off... https://eu.riftgame.com/en/products/trial-upgrade.php

Deleted
    I've been meaning to get into this game recently but i hear that a lot of players have been leaving for other MMO's

Deleted

ty guys

k guys well thanks for all the replies, haha was really quick and indepth, iv decided to get the game though i wish i waited for one of you guys for the recruit a friend,but too late, i will SOON be getting on to it, i got 1 month subscription, im just downloading patches now, almost 3 gb's out of 9? lol well anyway if anyone could recommend a good realm.. or what is it a shard? maybe possibly a PVE one , i have read up that you get ganked constantly in pvp, i cba to get too pissed off whilst lvling, anyway yah a PVE would be nice, whoever can offer me some tips, maybe advice ingame once im in it would be hugely appreciated, i will also share my skype with... the people who decide to help. Thank you all so much for sharing your opinion, and i will hopefully see some of you soon. ty, for those who would like to see me on WoW, im called Patchey, on mazrigos, ( bad realm be aware) check my armory, =/ anyways thx again. <3

RIFT is a pretty good game, although it also has it's share of problems. My biggest peeve are with combat animations with my cleric sheathing weapons in mid-combat. A minor thing, but ruins what makes me like RIFT the most since I don't really raid or work to min/max stats.

Also one thing to note : the leveling game in RIFT is just great. It's a good experience and certainly gives great value to play. HOWEVER - end game can be a different beast altogether. I personally didn't like it, but you might. With the new patch, there may be things that could be fun for you when you hit 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Penguin View Post
    I've been meaning to get into this game recently but i hear that a lot of players have been leaving for other MMO's
    What other MMOs? In the last six months there have been 0 launches of anything significant, SWTOR and GW2 will likely cause a lot of people to leave and possibly never return, but that will be the same for every MMO, I fully expect WoW to lose a couple million players over the next six months.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Penguin View Post
    Dont read into the offical forums/ trolls too much there are plenty of people still playing this game, most servers on US side stay around medium/high with 3 lows out of 30-something servers. In fact is was found out recently that some posters on the forums were able to post even after the account expired as a bug so that may be some of those leaving posts could have been caused by trollers.

I know its really hard to take the leap into something new not knowing if your time will be meaningless but really with how skewed peoples opinions are surrounding this game its the only way for you really to get a feel if you like or not.

My favorite thing about rift is unquestionably the flexibility of the soul system. Perhaps it's because it was the only MMO I played at release, (I played WoW near the release but I was an IRL noob then) but I was able to make unique specs that afaik very few others ran, and the specs were highly efficient. It's almost impossible to make a spec that has no counter period, though many are stronger than others. Also, each archetype can have a myriad of play styles. A mage can go Stormcaller / Dom or Stormcaller / AM and be a true glass cannon (Lighting burst + Instant Arctic blast = 1shot on almost anyone if you have 3x electrified + Ice Shear) Or you can go SC/ Chloro for a balance between damage and heals. My favorite spec was always Chloro (28) Lock (33) AM (4) (I think that's it, I haven't played in over a month because I had to quit due to family matters draining away all my free time)

As far as other aspects of the game go, Most archtypes can perform most roles. A Mage can Support/DPS/Heal Warriors can Tank/DPS/Support Rogues can Tank/Support/DPS/Heal ( a little bit, very useful for some fights) Clerics can Tank/DPS/Heal (Support?) Not sure on how cleric support works. They've homogenized the buffs enough that you're not required to bring 1 of every combination of souls, but there's still a little thing unique about each one.

The secondary objectives of Rift are pretty fun too. They have a lot more "fun" achievements than you'll find in WoW. What I mean by that is an achievement not directly related to game progression, such as finding a way to scale a mountain and dancing with a group of squirrels on top. They also have their own version of "Shineys" From EQ.

The crafting system is also unique, where you have many basic armors and you can modify them in your own way. (Add whichever secondary stats you want)

The invasion are fun no matter what level you are compared to them. A lot of people complained that there was no point in going back to low level invasions, and mostly they were right, but the invasion are still fun even if they don't progress your character.

In fact the only time I ever found myself complaining was whenever I found out they rehashed the level 50 crafted cloth gear to the P6 Mage gear for Defiants. I don't like recycled models, especially when such an easily achievable set such as crafted is mimicked by one you have to grind for like P6.

Well, there's my disorganized, grammatically incorrect and in general poorly written take on how Rift plays as a game.

Deleted
    for those who did also, im on icewatch EU, im called patchey, so just speak to me, xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchey View Post
    well anyway if anyone could recommend a good realm.. or what is it a shard? maybe possibly a PVE one
    That depends on if you want to play on a high/med/low pop server. I play in the EU on Bloodiron (High pop,Pvp) But ive heard Whitefall is the pvp server with most people. For pve servers i would say Icewatch or Riptalon. I have heard they are the leading ones in pve but i cant be sure.

But if you dont like your server you can always use the free server transfer (once a week :>)

Deleted
    speaking of all said here, just curious, in beta you could tank with a rogue, can you still do that? Or is it "not considered good enough" by the majority of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    speaking of all said here, just curious, in beta you could tank with a rogue, can you still do that? Or is it "not considered good enough" by the majority of people.
    They just go buffed

Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...periences.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the link