Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So this game has TONS of hype

Want to tell me why? Back when I was playing WoW, my guild mates were all talking about moving from WoW to SW. What is giving this game hype?

(Pretend you are trying to recruit someone to play this game. This person knows nothing of the game.)

Most of the hype comes from two main fan bases. This consists of the Star Wars fans and the Bioware fans. For one, it's Star Wars, so why wouldn't you want to play it! For Bioware fans, they are used to awesome games with deep story lines.

The main thing behind TOR though is that it's not a revolutionary game, although it does have things like companions that make it different from others. Also Bioware has stressed that they want to bring the RPG back to MMORPG's, and I think they've done a real good job from what I've seen.

Time spent developing the game reaches back, mmm, I believe if you count initial development as far back as early '06? Bioware is an amazing developer, like Blizzard, they release well-polished products, and the immersion is almost always top-notch.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect games are Bioware, and it took playing those to get me looking more in-depth at this game, and I loved what I saw in those games, love more what I see coming in this one.

The only mistake I see people making is assuming that "EA is the devil!" so "I'm not playing/buying etc"

EA is the publisher, that really has very little bearing at all on game development.

Bioware aside: Aren't you getting overtired of the fantasy genre in the MMO market? It's so beat, it reminds me of that one sock I keep leaving in the drawer even though I know I'll never find it's mate: Why don't I just get rid of the damn thing already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Yea, pretty much that.
    It aims at 2 fan bases which already are huge, in addition its been around for so long so they have had so good time to make something truly epic, thats some of it.
    If you really want to be convinced, you should ask direct questions for us to answer

10+ Year Old Account
    If you really would like to know, I suggest you look over the "Swtor info gathered thus far..." thread. I've put more than enough info in there to let you see what this game is. If that is too much, then there is probably nothing anyone here could do to convince you. =)

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Deleted
    I really don't understand why people need to be convinced to play a game. If it looks appealing to you, give it a shot. If it doesn't wait untill it's released so you have more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyfrax View Post
    I really don't understand why people need to be convinced to play a game. If it looks appealing to you, give it a shot. If it doesn't wait untill it's released so you have more info.
    He said "pretend you are trying to convince/recruit someone", so.. he was maybe making the thread to see what the rest of us have divulged from what we have found?

If he is on here he is probably at least already interested by the game, what I don't understand is why someone always has to make a post like yours in every single thread on every site's forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

If you are a big fan of Star Wars or simply love story-driven games then this one is for you.

Deleted
    Bioware pretty much. And, you played Kotor or kotor2? Awesome games.

I'm not a BW or SW fan tbh. WoW has got stale for me and I'm looking for something else to play. Rift didnt hold my interest for a 3rd month, whether SW will, well, we'll have to wait and see. If it doesn't GW2 & BF3 are coming in the future.

I haven't decided yet, which side I will start, what class I will try and I haven't bothered looking at too much stuff to see how the game plays. I want to play SW from scratch and take my time levelling up and see what the game has to offer, unlike WoW, where you can hit 85 in a week.

Like many people have already said, the hype is split into 2 parts: 1. It's a Bioware game and 2. It's in a Star Wars setting.

Bioware has been famous for making games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect, games that are fully enveloped in the story which YOU want to have for you character, whether it be good (called Paragon usually) or bad (Renegade). The sequels of these games change completely if you still have your save: people you met in Dragon Age can help you out in ways you never thought possible, people you have killed turns the plot inside out. There is just no knowing.
    This is why people have such hype about a BioWare MMO similarly styled with Mass Effect and Dragon Age in the way conversations, allegiances and missions work. The story you want, in a flexible story line ofc, is completely at your fingertips.

It's a Star Wars MMO! Don't really need to explain why this is awesome.

Deleted
    Don't forget Neverwinter Nights and KoTOR!

Deleted
    Pretty much what everybody as already said, its Bioware and Star Wars!!

The leveling experience is fully voiced and the pvp offers new and exciting games, there should be content to cater for all different types of player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    Like many people have already said, the hype is split into 2 parts: 1. It's a Bioware game and 2. It's in a Star Wars setting.

Bioware has been famous for making games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect, games that are fully enveloped in the story which YOU want to have for you character, whether it be good (called Paragon usually) or bad (Renegade). The sequels of these games change completely if you still have your save: people you met in Dragon Age can help you out in ways you never thought possible, people you have killed turns the plot inside out. There is just no knowing.
    This is why people have such hype about a BioWare MMO similarly styled with Mass Effect and Dragon Age in the way conversations, allegiances and missions work. The story you want, in a flexible story line ofc, is completely at your fingertips.

It's a Star Wars MMO! Don't really need to explain why this is awesome.
    Basically this!
    I'm not a SW movies fan, yet, I like SW universe a lot because it has many races, planets, stories, wars, etc. I loved Dragon Age and Mass effect and I think they are the best RPGs I ever played. A combination of both? Hell yeh, where do I sign?

Deleted

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Pretty much what everybody as already said, its Bioware and Star Wars!!

The leveling experience is fully voiced and the pvp offers new and exciting games, there should be content to cater for all different types of player.
    I was recently able to play on the testing programme. I got to about lvl 42 on the char I was on. Each class missions and companions are very cool. Even flying around in your very own ship. The graphics were 2nd to none and the story telling of this game. WELL... I was really impressed. Needless to say, I will be ditching wow for this game. Its a no brainer.

Yes, it's Bioware and Star Wars, but what people are forgetting is this game is also targeting a third set: MMO players. The formula is similar to WoW and the ability/skill trees should be familiar. Bioware is banking on people not wanting to stray too far from WoW and SWTOR will feel much like WoW.

So it's appealing because of 3 things (that I can think of): Star Wars IP, Bioware's track record with story-driven games + KoTOR (so we know they can work with this IP) and a similar structure to other MMOs (mostly WoW).

Quote Originally Posted by creedster View Post
    Don't forget Neverwinter Nights and KoTOR!
    And jade empire, I think nobody ever mentions it.

Hawt alien cleavage and behinds obvi

Doesn't hype have negative connotations, anymore? Hype deals with expectations, and not neccessarily the truth, anyways. If you're trying to recruit for the game itself, I'd say immersive story with familiar mechanics and a divese range of content planned for the endgame. But the expectations derived from hype is that it's going to be totally better than wow in every way, etc etc.

Deleted
    Basically for me 1; it's a decent star wars MMO and Sony Online Entertainment has gone nowhere near it, they destroyed galaxies.

2, IT'S BIOWARE easily the apex of good developers and in the holy trinity of developers which mine personally are Bioware = 1 Rockstar North = 2 Bethesda = 3 used to be blizzard but judging by how Diablo 3 is in beta and how lame Starcraft 2 is I let Bethesda take them lol. Bioware just know how to make RPGs, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate, Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Kotor.

Also their statement for KOTOR is they want to put the RPG back into MMORPG which looks like the case